Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kirby Puckett R.I.P

steadyb

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F*ck. I haven't seen the news yet. The sports pages still seem to have him in critical condition.

Damn it. I was hoping for good news and a recovery. Loved him as a player, carrying those two ridiculous underdog teams to World titles. I'm really sorry to hear that, and even though I haven't seen it confirmed yet, I know B ain't making it up.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Yeah it's everywhere now. I actually think the media prepped us for this one. You could feel the headlines worsening since the initial report.

Anyway, yes, he was a prodigious offensive player, a .330/30/120 guy back when the only other players even capable of that were Brett and a healthy Mattingly.

It sucked when he had to retire, still very much in his prime. It sucked even worse when those charges of sexual harrassment came out, but he was acquitted and that's all I know. He always seemed like a decent and affable guy, and I don't judge people for their troubles alone anyway, so I'm going to choose to remember Kirby as a kind of mild mannered, likeable little big man with world beating talent.

It was pretty much Kirby and one great pitcher (Frank Viola the first time and Jack Morris the second) that carried those Twins teams to those titles (no offense to Hrbek, Gaietti, etc.,of course but they were barely better than a .500 team each of those seasons)

Well, thanks for the memories, Kirby

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

It was pretty much Kirby and one great pitcher (Frank Viola the first time and Jack Morris the second) that carried those Twins teams to those titles (no offense to Hrbek, Gaietti, etc.,of course but they were barely better than a .500 team each of those seasons)

True, but, as a devoted Cardinals fan, I have to point out that playing four games in the Metrodome in the 1987 Series (instead of four games at Busch Stadium) certainly didn't hurt that Twins' team either. Their roughly .500 record that season was largely attributable to the fact that they almost never lost at home -- where the lights wreaked havoc on visiting outfielders -- but also almost never won on the road. And, indeed, the same held true in the Series: Twins had four wins at home and three losses on the road.

Seems kind of pointless now, though. He was way too young.

Noah

The thing I admired the most about Kirby was that he turned down a major pay raise to stay with the Twins. That's the kind of loyalty unheard of then, and even more so now. RIP.

:(

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived