Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Programming Synths... resource?

BluMunk

Playing in a cover band, I try to find patches (on my QS7.1, FYI) that closely match those on the recordings we're covering (duh). The problem is, there isn't always a good factory pre-set, and I'd really like to be programming my own sounds.

However, as someone who has minimal experience doing so, it's really hard to figure out what to do.

Usually I can identify if something sounds like a sine/square/saw-based patch, but beyond that I don't have a good idea of how to get that raw sound to turn into something that matches what I hear.

Are there any good resources either online or in print that not only explain what each part of the chain do (I roughly understand each individual component of the chain), but how they work together, maybe using real examples of sounds and how to achieve them?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the best online resource I have found:

http://www.soundonsound.com/index.php?section=%2F&url=%2Fsearch&Keyword=Synth+secrets

In addition the two books mentioned below (compilations of Keyboard articles from the late 1970s and early 1980s) are a key part of my library. They are out of print. I snagged my copies off Ebay.

Best,

Jerry

Title: Synthesizer programming / edited by Dominic Milano ; by the editors of Keyboard magazine.

Publisher: Milwaukee, WI : Hal Leonard Books, c1987.

Series Name: Keyboard synthesizer library

Subjects: Synthesizer (Musical instrument)

ISBN: 0-88188-550-9 (pbk.)

----------------------

Title: Synthesizer technique / by the editors of Keyboard magazine.

Publisher: Milwaukee, WI : H. Leonard Books, c1987.

Series Name: The Keyboard synthesizer library

Subjects: Synthesizer (Musical instrument)

ISBN: 0-88188-715-3 (pbk.) : $12.95

Archived