Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Amps... Help a brotha out!

Evton Buran

What's up :wave: I'm totally new to this site. I came here cuz I need some help finding a new keyboard amp. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the deal:

I play in a reggae band called Indubious www.myspace.com/indubious I play pretty big venues and need something loud that really cuts. My rig right now consists of a moog voyager, a novation k station, a hammond xk-3, and a nord electro with a speakeasy pre-amp. The amp I am currently using is a carvin KB1010. It never really cut enough for me and over time the speakers always blow cuz I end up trying to push it too hard.

Here's my question: :confused:

Should I keep my amp and just buy a new cabinet or should I get a whole new rig altogether? I really like my amp head cuz of all its inputs and other features but if there is something better out there i would be down to buy it. Money is no issue.

Thank you for reading! :thu:

-Evan

_ ______________________________ _

Hey check out my super saucy reggae/funk/progressive/acid jazz/jam band!

www.myspace.com/indubious

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, that is a nice rig and if you are as high profile as you say, I think you need to look beyond combo amps. I think you should have some dedicated "tone" amps that are miked or DI'd to a high-powered stereo monitor system. I would get a real Leslie for your XK-3 and run all the other boards direct to monitor via a submixer. If money is no object, go for the big rig.

Regards,

Eric

Ok,OK... yeah that sounds good and all but the amount of stuff i have to lug around right now has already got me sweatin before i start my set. Does this solution give me a bunch of more stuff to lug around? It sounds like it. Keep in mind that i dont really know shit about the technical aspect of this stuff so its kind of confusing if you pick up what im layin down.

Thanks man

The polytone amps look cool. They dont really seem like they would be loud enough though. They are only 140 and 280 watts and my current amp is 1000 watts. Another problem with those is that they dont have enough imputs. I am using 4 keyboards here and plan on an addition soon.

and also the NT series doesnt have mutiple inputs so that complicates things right?

I need something compact, simple, light, loud, and has to have lots of inputs.

Should i just use my current head and get a new cabinet??

Evton,

Welcome to the Keyboard Corner! Nice to have another Bay Area guy here.

I think Eric is right about one thing -- combo amps probably aren't going to do it for you. That Carvin is one of the beefiest combo amps around, and if it's not cutting it for you, I'm not sure what will.

I have no experience with the particular Roland you linked to, but I've always been very disappointed with Roland amplification (although I love my RD-700 stage piano).

There are a couple of guys here who swear by Barbetta amps, and some other brand whose name escapes me. If you search for Barbetta on this forum, you'll probably find a thread or two that discuss lots of amps in detail. There have been many over the years.

Having said that, you should consider a "mini-PA" type of rig. Yes, it's more stuff to haul around, but as others have mentioned the top-end speaker companies make fairly light-weight stuff.

What you'll need is a 4- or 8- channel mixer, and one or two monitor speakers for yourself. Either get active speakers, or add an amp to all that. You can probably put an amp and a mixer in a small rack case in such a way that you can roll up all your cables and such inside the case, leaving them plugged into the mixer. This will make for a fairly quick and easy set up.

Frankly, unless you've got roadies, amplification is a series of compromises between sound, weight, complexity and cost. Good luck finding the right answer for your rig!

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Originally posted by Evton Buran:

Watcha think about this?

http://rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=698&ParentId=33

I've been using the SA-300 for about a week. For me, I think it's going to be a keeper because it's really versatile, sounds good, is stereo, has the mixer and is very portable. A lot of what I do is not very high volume and when I do play in a higher volume setting it is always with a full PA and monitor system.

I did notice last night at rehearsal (I would classify this has a preety loud group, horns, etc.) the amp was peaking on occasion. Now in some of the tunes I'm doubling with Moog-style bass, so that's going to suck up a lot of power. I don't think it's going to have the power you need if its expected to generate 100% of your sound in a loud group/large venue. As a personal monitor on stage it should be great as you can put the top unit on a pole to get it to ear level. It has the XLR outs with ground lift to go to FOH. It is a small unit, so it's not at ear level and there is has no provision to tilt it back.

I would rather use it than having a single backline quality monitor. The stereo aspect is a real plus in getting a good sound on stage that you can enjoy.

Busch.

Thank you for all for the great advice and the warm welcome!

Here is my thinking at this point. I am agreeing with Busch on the fact that i should not rely on my rig to generate 100% of the sound when I play big gigs. Because most places i play they di me into the house system so i am covered there. And then on the smaller size gigs and for practicing, I want to have a nice amp that will cut through my bass players dominating fat sound. I think that less gear i have to lug around, deffinately the better it would be for me.

Any thoughts on this?

Originally posted by Evton Buran:

Thank you for all for the great advice and the warm welcome!

Here is my thinking at this point. I am agreeing with Busch on the fact that i should not rely on my rig to generate 100% of the sound when I play big gigs. Because most places i play they di me into the house system so i am covered there. And then on the smaller size gigs and for practicing, I want to have a nice amp that will cut through my bass players dominating fat sound. I think that less gear i have to lug around, deffinately the better it would be for me.

Any thoughts on this?

Evton,

I think you are right on here, and I think that you can get by fine with a lighter amp. I'd say though, that you are going to have to lug at least 41.5 pounds of amplification equipment (that's what a Barbetta Sona 41 weighs).

If you get something new, let us know how it works for you.

Good luck!

Bill

So that being said, should I look into getting another combo amp. Or should i just get another cabinet for my existing amp.

Do i need something with enough inputs for all my keyboards or could I just use a mixer type deal for that.

Evton,

I think that you are going to end up needing a small mixer. They are not expensive or bulky, so it's not a big deal, other than having another piece of gear to mess with.

You could get by, too, by hooking up a different speaker cab to your existing amp. Pick the right one, and you'll get better sound as well, and possibly more of it too, but you probably won't come up with something lighter.

Cheers,

Bill

Evton,

I just listened to your music at MySpace, and I gotta tell ya that I think you ought not skimp on gear. Y'all kick butt!

A power trio, with a KEYBOARD!!!

I can see next year's Oscar winner: REVENGE OF THE KEYBOARD PLAYERS !!!!

Knock em dead, kid!

Oh, speaker cabs? Check out the websites of these manufacturers:

JBL

EAW

Electrovoice

Yorkville

Peavey

Mackie

Meyer

Turbosound

Check out specs, and then ask questions if you have any.

Cheers,

Bill

Hey thanks Bill!

All those companies you listed are like p.a. speakers right? Should i go that route or should I just get a speaker cab. Is there even a difference?

I played through my bassist's mesa cabinet today (2 tens and a tweeter) and I have to say it sounded f'n awesome.

Evton,

If you are after pristine fidelity, like if you do a lot of acoustic piano and instrument sounds, go the P.A. cab route. But I didn't hear anything in your music that would require pristine fidelity.

I guess then it would come down to cost, weight, and what sounds good to your ears.

Cheers,

Bill

Hey clavinovaguyusa we are from the same freakin town man! Pretty crazy. Do you gig around here ar anything??

Yeah i am not really going for pristine fidelity here. I played through my brothers bass cab and it sounds amazing to me so any kind of cabinets that you guys know of that would compliment a keyboard would be greatly appreciated. My brother plays really duby style bass but then also plays punchy les claypool style slap stuff. So something that would compliment that.

Evton, The only playing I have been doing lately away from home has been once or twice a month at Our Savior Lutheran Church, on South Livermore. I used to be a paid keyboardist at a church in Turlock before moving back to Livermore. Now, I am "paying my dues" again until I get some paying gigs.

Evton,

"Bag End" is a local (here in Illinois) speaker manufacturer that makes both P.A. and musical instrument speakers. They sell direct, much like Carvin, but their speakers are not inexpensive. There website has all of the product info and prices.

Cheers,

Bill

Archived