Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cherrying Up a Rhodes Stage 73

DafDuc

It's got the round top, if that matters. And it is UG-LEEEE! Tolex coming off in strips... :(

Still sounds good, though, just needs a sustain rod guide - the little plastic circle with the hole in it.

But I thought it might be fun to get it into a sweet-looking case. Like a Jade color or something. Real shimmery, not necessarily the same profile as the original. Does anybody know of someone who does that kind of custom work? Or should I just go to a cabinetmaker or something?

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An upholsterer should be able to do that for you. With a little knowledge of a few tricks and an exacto(sp) knife you could do it yourself.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

If you fancy trying it yourself, buy some Tolex from somewhere like Vibroworld .

I've covered 3 rhodes myself with great results. The original tolex is held on with water based glue, so when you take the old stuff off clean up any mess with a damp cloth.

Keep the old stuff and use it to cut a rough , slightly oversized pattern. Notice how it was all put together.

Then all you need is some contact adhesive and a staple gun and you're good to go! It takes a while but is very satisfying when you see the end result....

Yeah it is a little tricky... nic tip on using a staple gun though... I think you need something like that on the inside. I used a lot of clamps and basically took my time...

I did my rhodes in purple tolex...

http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/loughran/rhodes3.JPG

Although I have to say in the end I wish I'd kept it in its original torn black tolex...

Question: has anyone tried replacing the actual wooden outside of a Rhodes? Like, can you lift the entire harp and chassis out with minimal fuss, or is the cabinet itself what holds it all together? I bought a cheapie which i'm keen to do up, and i've done some work on the action, tines etc - it's really playable. But superficially it's pretty nailed! Hmm, i might start a new thread on 'hot rod-ing my rhodes', coz it would be fun to add some mods too...
Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

orangefunk, that is way cool.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Learjeff, I thought the Mark #'s only applied to the suitcases?

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Nope, it applies to all stage pianos built after 1969. IIRC, certain era suitcase pianos didn't have a "mark" number even though they were equivalent to their "mark"ed stage brothers. If you pore over the details at the supersite you'll probably get the answer.

Anyway, my Mark I stage 73 clearly says "Mark I" on it, and I've seen many a "Mark II" stage piano.

Originally posted by JimmyJimJim:

Question: has anyone tried replacing the actual wooden outside of a Rhodes? Like, can you lift the entire harp and chassis out with minimal fuss, or is the cabinet itself what holds it all together?

Yes the whole inside lifts out as one section...

That's true of the harp chassis, but IIRC, not of the keybed. I think it's doable but would require some skill to make a new cabinet where the keybed lines up correctly with the harp. More than I would take on myself, but that's not saying too much, given my vast woodworking skills.

Originally posted by learjeff:

That's true of the harp chassis, but IIRC, not of the keybed. I think it's doable but would require some skill to make a new cabinet where the keybed lines up correctly with the harp. More than I would take on myself, but that's not saying too much, given my vast woodworking skills.

No the whole thing lists out as one single unit.. those pins are on a piece of wood but that is actually joined to the harp block ...

Its a very easy procedure... just take out the bolts on the bottom...

http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/loughran/rhodes/neilsrhodes7.jpg

http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/loughran/rhodes/neilsrhodes6.jpg

Archived