Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Post pic of your LIVE RIG not STUDIO RIG

Alkeys

I've seen a million "studio" pics or "bedroom rigs". ie. rigs that intend to go nowhere.

By the way, the inclusing of the computer in todays rigs really encourage them all to "Stay at home"

SO......... can anyone post pics of their LIVE rig- like when they play out somewhere?

I'd love to see it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My live rig is so sparse that it doesn't deserve a picture.

I play in a rock 'n roll band that basically calls mostly for acoustic and electric pianos, a decent amount of organ and some pretty generic synth stuff...so I can totally cut the gig with a single QS8 on a double braced X stand running to a Motion Sound KP200s behind me. :cool:

The best part is that I can get in and out of gigs faster than anyone else in the band. Definitely a first for me... :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Here's a shot of my "live rig" for a show I did this past October.

http://www.regurgitron.com/reg1025_02.jpg

You're looking at me jamming on a circuit bent Casio CZ-101 and a mass of pedals and a Line 6 delay Pro that are strapped to a keyboard stand.

What I was saying, was go look at products now- it's like they've degenerated. They are all made in China now, have wallwarts, plastic Chassis like tupperware. In the 80s and early 90s, they had internal power supplies with a universal power cord, sturdy metal chassis etc...

Look at all the goofy M Audio/Novation all those controllers- plastic crap made in China with wallwarts = intended to stay at home-not road worthy.

What I'm sayin is there's a ton of IT dudes making music on their laptop

Just look at keyboard magazine over the last 20 years- it went from a keyboard magazine to a friggin IT magazine. You have to be like an IT dude these days whether it's playing keyboards or recording something with Pro-Tools, you need to know how to rebuild harddrives, do all this computer maintenance every so often, ooopps system crashed , need to rebuild that, defrag this, backup that, reinstall this, migrate that, - all that crap.

Horrible dude, just plain horrible is what i say.

Ok I agree that sampling has it's limits and multisampling is kinda antiquated, so it's either antiquated multisamples , or plugin software synths which= IT guy.

What we need is something in between. Good dedicated, virtual instruments in a rack without having to crack open a laptop.

The problem with the keyboard world and it's evident if you've read keyboard magazine in the last 20 years, is it's gone from being a player and a musician to being a friggin IT guy.

I don't wanna be an IT guy to play music, which is why harddrives, laptops, clicking around on a mouse etc... is out for me. I will only use dedicated hardware that has nothing to do with a computer. Just my 2 cents.

Oh and thanks for posting your rigs, it's nice to see there's some actual players out there who do it live instead of holing themselves up in the basement with their computers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/paostby/Keyboards2006-01-28sm.jpg

Arp Quartet ----------------- Alesis Ion

Roland A-70(L) -------------- Roland A-70®

Kurzweil PC-2x -------------- Ensoniq VFX-SDII

*Not pictured - EMU Vintage Keys Pro rack

I use the same rig, same setup, whether live, rehearsal, or studio. Why should it be any different?

I, too, am disappointed with the Ikea Home Office keyboardists. Most of the recordings I hear I don't trust to have been actually played.

Keyboard setups used to be geared towards the stage. Now, most of them are geared for the bedroom. That's how the gear operates and how it sounds, too.

Originally posted by Prague:

Originally posted by Mode_Fan:

Doesn't matter what words you put before it, or after it, making the name Casio sound cool, is like trying to make the word Dufus, sound cool,,,

Radio Shack doesn't work, either. :D
I guess you all are referring to my use of a Casio here, but if you actually heard the thing.... And if I can't laugh at myself on occasion, then I best not hang out at the sandbox, right?

But, I think I need to grab some Radio Shack stuff to add to my live rig for the next show I do as ReGurgiTron.

My small rig in a very small bar:

http://forums2.keyfax.com/user-files/241772-davemuddys.JPG

My "Big Rig" adds a Nord Lead 3 over a Nord Electro 2/73 to my right. Much more fun with the Big Rig.

"More tools than talent"

Motif ES7:Kurzweil PC1x:Electro 2 73:Nord Lead 3:MKS-80:Matrix 1000:Microwave XT

Originally posted by Alkeys:

What I was saying, was go look at products now- it's like they've degenerated. They are all made in China now, have wallwarts, plastic Chassis like tupperware. In the 80s and early 90s, they had internal power supplies with a universal power cord, sturdy metal chassis etc...

Look at all the goofy M Audio/Novation all those controllers- plastic crap made in China with wallwarts = intended to stay at home-not road worthy.

What I'm sayin is there's a ton of IT dudes making music on their laptop

Just look at keyboard magazine over the last 20 years- it went from a keyboard magazine to a friggin IT magazine. You have to be like an IT dude these days whether it's playing keyboards or recording something with Pro-Tools, you need to know how to rebuild harddrives, do all this computer maintenance every so often, ooopps system crashed , need to rebuild that, defrag this, backup that, reinstall this, migrate that, - all that crap.

Horrible dude, just plain horrible is what i say.

Ok I agree that sampling has it's limits and multisampling is kinda antiquated, so it's either antiquated multisamples , or plugin software synths which= IT guy.

What we need is something in between. Good dedicated, virtual instruments in a rack without having to crack open a laptop.

The problem with the keyboard world and it's evident if you've read keyboard magazine in the last 20 years, is it's gone from being a player and a musician to being a friggin IT guy.

I don't wanna be an IT guy to play music, which is why harddrives, laptops, clicking around on a mouse etc... is out for me. I will only use dedicated hardware that has nothing to do with a computer. Just my 2 cents.

Oh and thanks for posting your rigs, it's nice to see there's some actual players out there who do it live instead of holing themselves up in the basement with their computers.

I'm not totally sure what you're trying to say here, but if this was indeed a response to me, I think you're trying to imply that I am not an actual player, and I live in my basement making music on a computer. That's pretty insulting. Just to clear things up, most of my playing is done on a piano, not keyboards. I'm a student at the moment, so I'm not really gigging, but if I was, I'd probably be mostly using a stage piano for piano and Rhodes, synths and organs being secondary.

My original point was, why can't a computer be part of a live rig? If you have a stable enough setup, just stash it away somewhere and play through it. Ideally, the only interaction with your computer should be through the keyboard (and knobs/sliders/buttons) of your controller(s), never a mouse and monitor. What would be wrong with that? If you feel you don't have the technical know-how or patience, fine, but if others do, why is it wrong for them to use it if it doesn't hinder their creativity?

Originally posted by Jazzed:

If you feel you don't have the technical know-how or patience, fine, but if others do, why is it wrong for them to use it if it doesn't hinder their creativity?

Some people with the technical know-how avoid using things because they have the technical know-how and experience.

Dude, turn down the resonance a bit on the subtractive synth you used to post to the internet... :P

Here's me and my rig playing with Ritmo, the now-defunct Santana Tribute Band.

http://daveseven.com/dpscs.jpg

Alesis Micron

Nord Electro

Roland RD-700

(not pictured) Speakeasy Vintage Music Pre-amp

(not pictured) Motion-Sound KBR-M

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

here's a pic from my latest gig with active,gigging,recording, all original Israely heavy metal band Desert http://desertband.com/images/koltura/desert_koltura_15.jpg

This one's shot in one of top heavy metal clubs in Israel, Tel-Aviv.

I use Korg Karma as my main keyboard

and Yamaha S-03 for pads, set up in L configuration. Amps and stuff are provided by club owners.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Killer- thanks for posting pix. Nice to see some players out there.

To- Jazzed/Marc - Definitely my thoughts and comments on the keyboard industry these days and general discontent with the way things have gone all computery/IT/Non musician, were NOT directed at you or anyone- they were just my general comments about the industry in general. Look it's not your fault that all things are made in China with wallwarts these days and the manufacturers expect people to dick around with mouses and computers to make music- you didn't decide that. LOL

If you owned a keyboard manufacturing company in China, were editor of keyboard magazine or were head of Roland marketing, i'd have to bust your balls a bit for sure, but thats not you- Sorry you took offense dude.

To: F7- dig the circuit bent Casio- cool

To: The Real MC- dude what kind of keyboard stand is that that is holding your P-90 and Hammond? That thing is cool.

I miss the ol' Quik Lok Invisible Stand that eric posted above. Those were great stands.

To: Bloody Mary- Yes the L shape. Cool I have mine in L shape too. I have no digital camera right now, but i will post pix when i have them.

I miss the ol' Quik Lok Invisible Stand that eric posted above. Those were great stands.

Yo - thanks for noticing. Clarification: Quik Lok did not make the Invisible Stand. They were made by a small mom & pop shop that is now out of business. Search my prior posts on this forum for the deep details on why this is my favorite stand ever made (and many folks share my opinion). :thu:

Regards,

Eric

If you owned a keyboard manufacturing company in China, were editor of keyboard magazine or were head of Roland marketing, i'd have to bust your balls a bit for sure, but thats not you- Sorry you took offense dude.

Be sure and follow up with the above mentioned parties then. I'd love to hear the responses.

Actually, why don't you just address Steve Fortner directly from a thread in this forum?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by garrafon:

Here's my live rig:

http://www.kazoos.com/images2/purple.jpg

Of course, I've got one in every key! :)

Is it MIDI 2.0 compatible?

Can you control it with a Mac?

Is it USB as well?

How much RAM used per note?

How many different velocity fades for each note?

How many samples total?

:);)

Here we are rockin@ Rolling Lanes early this February.

I brought out my Triton rack (behind me) for a little help with the strings and

analog horns that evening. Went back using my Invisible stand. http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/pursuitboy/DSCN0855.jpg

DanS-

OK LOL.

I stopped subscribing to keyboard magazine in the mid 90s. Why? Too many ads, too much computers, not enough music.

Just go crack open a keyboard magazine from like 1985 and testify what a great magazine it once was with all kinds of great programming tips, articles, interviews, actual sheet music etc...

Now its, how to rebuild your desktop music computer kind of stuff. Like I said, it's turned into a mag for IT dudes.

Just my 2 cents.

Archived