Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ensoniq ZR-76 MR-76 problems!!! Help

LPreston

I own an Ensoniq ZR-76 keyboard and I´m having some problems with it.

What happens is that the keyboard, playing in gigs or at home, starts getting out of tune. IT really strange and feels like someone is moving the modulation wheel.

A friend of mine said that it´s an ensoniq mr/zr board´s problem, and as ensoniq no longer exist, there is no solution!

I need some help because I want to fix it and sell.

thank u

Less is More

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check the data input wheel to see if it may be the source of the problem. A common problem for both the MR-76 and ZR-76 is the sensitivity of that wheel. Just playing the keys sometimes causes it to output a data value and change the sound of the patch. That used to drive me crazy and at the time the store unit had the same problem.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by learjeff:

If you bump the pitch wheel, does it go back in tune? I have an MR, a rather early one, and have never had this problem.

It didn´t work and I also tried putting a tape to firm it. The problem happened for the first time in the middle of a gig in Belgium. A friend of mine who owns a MR 76 said that the same happened to him and it´s typical of these Ensoniq models. I hope it´s not.

Thank u Learjeff

Less is More

Originally posted by Rabid:

Check the data input wheel to see if it may be the source of the problem. A common problem for both the MR-76 and ZR-76 is the sensitivity of that wheel. Just playing the keys sometimes causes it to output a data value and change the sound of the patch. That used to drive me crazy and at the time the store unit had the same problem.

Robert

I´ll try it but I´m quite sure the problem isn´t the wheel. This friend of mine said the problem is the main board.

Thank U Robert!

Less is More

• 4 years later...

I know this post is 5 years old now, but I will add what I know, as when searching for this problem this thread was the first result.

Bought a ZR-76 about 2 years ago. Noticed that mine also slightly detunes, as does a co-workers MR-61. Plugged it up via MIDI to my Yamaha RS-7000 which has a page that shows the current pitchbend value, and sure enough it fluctuates by a minuscule amount (cents), nowhere near a half-step.

Contacted the guy at TheSoniq, who used to work for Ensoniq and bought a good deal of their parts upon closing (he is a good source of service for these instruments now), and he told me that nothing was wrong with the unit. After a fair amount of arguing, he had me boot the ZR into test mode. While checking the PB wheel, when pushed to max (or min) it would fluctuate from the correct amount ONLY SOMETIMES, but NEVER while at zero. When I told him this, he offered to sell me five replacement pots for $25, which I didn't purchase...probably should have. Repair tech at my store also said he would replace the pot with resistors equaling the zero value (in OHMS) of the pot, but I'm fairly lazy and mainly use the board as a MIDI controller and simply filter out PB messages. If I had actually done one of these I would be able to give definite answers to this... :(

In the end, with it plugged up via MIDI to my RS-7000 for monitoring, I found that WHEN it detunes if I press fairly hard STRAIGHT DOWN on the PB wheel and move it SLIGHTLY up and down then pop my finger off and let it spring back that the value would return to zero AND STAY THERE, almost indefinitely. It only seems to return after moving it or when playing the ZR very aggressively.

This would make you think it's the pot, but what's odd is that when my ZR does this, it does it pretty consistently across all sounds - when it starts it continues across all sounds until I perform the 'fix' stated above. However, my coworkers MR behaves a little differently - the problem is almost guaranteed to occur (and it at its worst, a half-step or more of bend) when using a particular saxophone sound, and will cease upon choosing other sounds.

Knowing this, I have to conclude that his probably has a problem with the board...mine, however, after monitoring activity with my RS-7000, is almost surely the pot...especially seeing as how manipulation of the PB wheel can cause it to stop.

Maybe both problems exist...??? That's my $2.00. Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to be thorough - seems this problem is all over the place but I've never found any info anywhere close to worthwhile.

• 1 year later...

"http://www.thesoniq.com/index.html"

DO NOT CONTACT "THESONIQ", HE IS A RIP-OFF HE WILL TELL YOU TO SEND IT TO HIM THEN HE WILL TAKE PARTS OFF IT AND TELL YOU A RIDICULOUS PRICE TO FIX IT THEN OFFER TO BUY IT FROM YOU AFTER CHARGING YOU $70 PLUS. IF YOU LOOK ON HIS WEBSITE YOU WILL SEE WHAT HE CHARGES FOR SELLING PARTS AS APOSED TO WHAT HE WILL PAY YOU FOR YOUR USED UNIT. (HE WILL PAY YOU $50 FOR MR-76 THEN SELL IT IT FOR $800 ON HIS SITE, WTF?)............BUYER BEWARE OF THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this post is 5 years old now, but I will add what I know, as when searching for this problem this thread was the first result.

Bought a ZR-76 about 2 years ago. Noticed that mine also slightly detunes, as does a co-workers MR-61. Plugged it up via MIDI to my Yamaha RS-7000 which has a page that shows the current pitchbend value, and sure enough it fluctuates by a minuscule amount (cents), nowhere near a half-step.

Contacted the guy at TheSoniq, who used to work for Ensoniq and bought a good deal of their parts upon closing (he is a good source of service for these instruments now), and he told me that nothing was wrong with the unit. After a fair amount of arguing, he had me boot the ZR into test mode. While checking the PB wheel, when pushed to max (or min) it would fluctuate from the correct amount ONLY SOMETIMES, but NEVER while at zero. When I told him this, he offered to sell me five replacement pots for $25, which I didn't purchase...probably should have. Repair tech at my store also said he would replace the pot with resistors equaling the zero value (in OHMS) of the pot, but I'm fairly lazy and mainly use the board as a MIDI controller and simply filter out PB messages. If I had actually done one of these I would be able to give definite answers to this... :(

In the end, with it plugged up via MIDI to my RS-7000 for monitoring, I found that WHEN it detunes if I press fairly hard STRAIGHT DOWN on the PB wheel and move it SLIGHTLY up and down then pop my finger off and let it spring back that the value would return to zero AND STAY THERE, almost indefinitely. It only seems to return after moving it or when playing the ZR very aggressively.

This would make you think it's the pot, but what's odd is that when my ZR does this, it does it pretty consistently across all sounds - when it starts it continues across all sounds until I perform the 'fix' stated above. However, my coworkers MR behaves a little differently - the problem is almost guaranteed to occur (and it at its worst, a half-step or more of bend) when using a particular saxophone sound, and will cease upon choosing other sounds.

Knowing this, I have to conclude that his probably has a problem with the board...mine, however, after monitoring activity with my RS-7000, is almost surely the pot...especially seeing as how manipulation of the PB wheel can cause it to stop.

Maybe both problems exist...??? That's my $2.00. Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to be thorough - seems this problem is all over the place but I've never found any info anywhere close to worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been too many years since I dealt with that guy to feel completely confident challenging such a strong accusation, but he came across to me as a very honest guy, and I have at least a half dozen character references for him here in the SF Bay Area amongst those who have dealt with and/or worked with him over the years.

Are you sure you aren't just mistaking "value-added resale" based on know-how and actual labour and time, for being ripped off? How exactly do you quantify your perception that you were cheated? Remember, there is often more than one perspective for such a transaction, and expectations aren't always spelled out.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I've had only a couple interactions with the guy, but he was very helpful even though I didn't end up doing business with him. He even talked me out of something that would have meant money for him.

He also said I couldn't do a keybed swap by myself, which I now know isn't true since I've had my keybed completely out several times. But he was probably right to say it; just didn't realize how I am when I get a bug up my butt about something. :laugh:

Back when the Transoniq Hacker was still epublished (via email!) he was recommended a number of times in users' posts. That's how I first heard of him.

I suspect Alexander thinks he got a raw deal somehow, and went looking for all references and posted his spite. It happens. Sometimes it's even deserved. No way to tell, here.

I personally know someone that similar problems to Alexander's trying to get a KS32 running again. He now has a KS32 with a missing motherboard.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, CEB. He sent the KS32 in, and it came back without a MOBO? That's theft, and should be reported to the authorities. I suspect it's not quite that straightforward.

Regarding this:

(HE WILL PAY YOU $50 FOR MR-76 THEN SELL IT IT FOR $800 ON HIS SITE, WTF?)
If you think your board is worth more, don't sell it. There's nothing unethical about offering a lowball price, or asking a high one. If you were to ask the street value and he says $50, that would be bad advice, unless it's not working.

No the local tech sent the KS32 motherboard to this and never got it back. Now he has a KS32 with no motherboard. The guy says he lost the motherboard.

Maybe I will offer to sell the local guy my KS32. The action is shot and I don't use it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived