Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

a flashback to 1967

NoLights

Has anything like this happened to you? Back in 1967, I was in a High School band (playing my Vox Jaguar). We recorded a 45, sold some at high school dances, the band broke up...end of story.

Fast forward... oh... 35 years. One of the tunes has resurfaced on indy radio shows and the internet(!!!!). People have actually discussed the merits of this tune in forums. This is a wacky world! And now, one site has published an article about these five 17 year olds from Connecticut.

http://60sgaragebands.com/pages/905780/index.htm

Maybe we should have a band reunion - before we're all using walkers and jazzy scooters.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's cool and it's an example of how sometimes things can take on a life of their own.

For me, in 1967, I wasn't capable of producing music. Since I was born at the end of that year, I was only producing stuff that ended up in my diapers or ran down my chin. Nothing that will appear on indy radio shows or the net for sure!

Originally posted by F7sound -:

I was only producing stuff that ended up in my diapers or ran down my chin. Nothing that will appear on indy radio shows or the net for sure!

Don't be so sure ... the 'net's a crazy place. :freak:

[Fool disclosure: I don't know my past-life history, but I'm fairly certain I wasn't around in any shape or form at that time.]

But nolights, that's pretty trippy. I haven't had anything like that happen to me, but others here probably have an interesting, similar story ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Great idea for a movie script (if you ask me). In the movie, the song blows up, leading to a Blues Brothers moment: "We're getting the band back together."

BTW, I dug the song.

Noah

"Orange whip. Orange whip? Orange whip? Three oranges whips."

Good on you, man. That's VERY cool. In '67 I was in middle school, learning how to play the 96 Tears organ line from the cool kid with the portable organ.

I have some originals (not mine) I played on on the 70's and 80's. Hopefully, they'll stay buried forever - they're pretty awful.

Okay, one of them actually DID surface on a Don Grusin (or one of those pop jazz guys) album, but not our recording, just the song. We were having dinner at the local Steak & Ale, around '95 or so, and this song comes on the sound system - talk about your spit takes.

Just as well - it was a good melody, but the lyrics weren't too strong. Grusin (or whoever) did it instrumentally, of course. Hope my old guitarist made some good money off of it.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

I wish that I still had the black and white pic of my brother's band from 1965! Narrow ties, black suits, white shirts. I remember the keyboardist (eventually became a lawyer and was a substitute teacher of mine in 9th grade) had a Vox Continental (much like the pics above). I especially remember a practice session at his house when he was playing it (even though that didn't actually inspire me to become a organist). I also remember the practice session on our outdoor carport when the police was called to tell them to shut it off!

Brian.

Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

Archived