Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rack-format mixer, anyone?

Andre Lower

Hi there,

I suppose some of you guys use mixers to run your keyboards through, and I wonder if anyone has the same problem I do.

I've been cooking this idea of streamlining my rig for a while, and one of the changes that would benefit me the most would be the replacement of my current mixer with a rack-format one. You know, one I could mount in a rack case and pack with cables attached and all, instead of the fastidious assembling/diassemblig routine I've been through for so long.

Here's the deal: I use an In-ear monitor system (wired, I do not move much) and make a point out of having personal control of my monitor mixing. I presently have a Mackie VLZ 1202 mixer sitting in the lower tier of my keyboards stand, through which I run signals from the guitar, bass, drums, backing vocals, my two keyboards and of course my lead vocal.

I never use the EQ controls in the mixer, and do not need any phantom power whatsoever. All I really need is 6 XLR/TRS inputs with decent pre-amps (to pump up those signals that happen to be too low, typically miked guitar and the EFX SEND out of a the bass player's amp, etc.). I also need separate Main OUT and AUX buses (I send the Main to the FOH/studio mixer and the AUX to my In-ear monitor). I run everything in Mono, and typically use the PAN of my Mackie channels to split the Stereo OUT so as to have vocals on the LEFT MAIN OUT and the keyboards on the RIGHT MAIN OUT.

Is there any good rack-format mixer with said features? Of course there is the new MOTU Traveler, but it costs around 800 bucks and has lots of features that would be just overkill for my purposes (I do not need firewire, etc.).

Does any of the gearheads out there have a suggestion?

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

André, this doesn't answer your question, but the Mackie mixer can be mounted tilted back into the case which would save at least two rack spaces. This conversion is not from Mackie, you have to do it yourself but it's not very difficult.

For anyone who is interested, I wrote about it here sometime ago, a search should bring it up.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

André, this doesn't answer your question, but the Mackie mixer can be mounted tilted back into the case which would save at least two rack spaces.

I know Dave, but the cables would still connect on the face of the mixer, and I'd still have to purchase a rack mount case with an open top.

Once the mix is set I hardly ever fiddle with the mixer controls, and so I'd love to have all cables on the rear part of the mixer and only a small-footprint front panel where I could adjust MAIN and AUX levels.

Unfortunately the only rack-mount mixers I've found are powered mixers, which I really do not need.

Thank you for answering :thu: .

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Originally posted by Andre Lower:

...but the cables would still connect on the face of the mixer, and I'd still have to purchase a rack mount case with an open top.

Once the mix is set I hardly ever fiddle with the mixer controls, and so I'd love to have all cables on the rear part of the mixer and only a small-footprint front panel where I could adjust MAIN and AUX levels.

Give your requirements for 6 XLR inputs, you're knocking a number of contenders out of the running. Unless by "6 XLR/TRS" you mean either would be fine?

My Mackie CR-1604 does the job you want, as the connector pod is configurable front/top vs. rear/back facing. The latter allows me to have all connections routed to the back out of site. You could then use a rackmount patch panel to keep the mixer connections engaged at all times, and just route to the patch panel on the face of the rack, making life simpler. A possible small increase in the noise floor, depending on the quality of the panel, but nothing you'd notice live.

The 1604 is still a 6-space rackmount in that configuration, though. It has the 6 XLR inputs you want/need, if that is indeed your requirement. True, it has a lot of features you mentioned not needing, but it has the routing you'll need. :) Just one option out there...

Cheers,

SG

Hmmm, googling a little harder I stumbled on this one:

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=35

It is Alesis, which probably means general quality is lower than Mackie, but what really worries me is the fact that the MAIN and AUX Outs are not balanced (my Mackie MAIN OUTs are).

Can anyone share any experience with non-balanced MAIN OUTs versus balanced ones?

The Nady RMX6 has 6 XLR/TS (with phantom power on 4-6), bass, treble, and master out level knobs, and either low (xlr) or high (TS) output. Unfortunately does not have AUX send capabilities, and you can't use both kinds of outputs on that mixer simutaneously. You COULD use a DI box following that could then split it to the two kinds of feeds you do today. But it is really inexpensive. I am using it tonight for the first time, with Leslie mics on ch. 1/2, Wurlizer 200 on ch 3 and Roland synth on ch 4. My old DOD 820RM that I usually use (which has all the features you specified, plus effects send, pan and bass/treble adjust per channel) has to have a few of the input channels repaired.

Brian.

Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

Archived