Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WHERE DO I START?

nutifafa

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by nutifafa:

can anyone help?

Yes. You can. Start by:

1) Reading the README thread at the top of the main page. (why is it newbies don't seem to read that thread? :rolleyes: )

2) Following the instructions there, do a SEARCH of the forum. Do this after you've browsed a bit, so you know what terms to search for.

3) Read, read, read. Only after you've absorbed a lot of info will you be in a position to (a) ask informed questions of the members here, and (b) understand the answers you're going to receive.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck in your search for knowledge.

Cheers,

SG

Assuming you play piano already, you're well-equiped to form good opinions. Play as many different boards as you can, by different makers. Action will be important to you; experiment on different instruments. Everybody has preferences, you'll want to find something that feels/sounds the best to you, and the only way to know what that is is to have played a lot of keyboards.

Sorry - I should haveexpained more... When I first read:posterity - read it as posterior. I thought that was funny so posted... :D

Now I read DRD post, and see pacifically, instead of specifically. Took me a while; I assume that is on purpose too.. :):):)

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Originally posted by cliffk:

quote:
Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Sven, You need to cut, paste and save that for prosperity.

I just know that you actually meant posterity , right? My mom used to say something similar :cry:

;)

Cheers,

SG

Good thing I love abuse :D

Why else would I continue to post here. :cool:

My professors in school always told me English was a wasted class for musicians.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Originally posted by Synapse Collapse:

When I read this post, I winced. I read the responses with one eye open. Sven's woodshed continues to accept new residents.

Are you implying that my response was harsh, or in some way out of line? :eek:
Sven:

Absolutely not. Your patience and diplomacy is to be commended. You are taking time to help these folks out, which is more than I am doing.

Tom

Well Sven, I think you are being a total asshole and it pisses me off big time. You have no right to treat people this way. If questions like that bother you, ignore them and move on. I saw the post and thought Hey. Someone from Ghana. This could be an interesting forum member. Then I read your response and thought Too late. Sven has already run off another potential forum member with another bitchy first reply. They will probably never be back. I worry that you may have kids some day.

5 year old Daddy? Why is the sky blue?

Sven Well son, if you were not such an ignorant, lazy bum you would get on Google and do a search for blue sky rather than bothering me.

5 year old But daddy. What is Google?

Sven Son. Arent you listening? If you want to know what Google is then get on your computer and do a search.

5 year old Daddy. Why dont you have time to answer my questions?

Sven Because son, I have to guard the gate and prevent people who dont already know everything from coming to the Keyboard Corner forum. I cannot have people coming to my forum and asking questions. I must keep them away. I must cleanse the forum. I must build my own ego by hurting others with my superior wit and taunts.

OK. I really considered not writing this because I dont like to call people out, embarrass them in public, and make them feel bad. But you know what, this is exactly what you are doing to potential new members of our community. It is not YOUR community. It is OURS. And you dont get 5 points for every person you keep away with chastising remarks.

After all, this IS the place people come to ask questions about keyboards. Maybe they did a Google search and found an informative web site called Keyboard Corner.

Rant done. I feel a little better. How is the weather in Canada? I hear a bitter cold front is moving through. :wave:

Robert

PS: Anyone know how the music scene is in Ghana?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

Well Sven, I think you are being a total asshole and it pisses me off big time. You have no right to treat people this way. If questions like that bother you, ignore them and move on.

Rabid, rather than bother responding to your diatribe, I'll direct you to the applicable forum policy that I based my response on. Perhaps you should spend a minute to review it.

Rant done. I feel a little better. How is the weather in Canada? I hear a bitter cold front is moving through. :wave:

Glad I could be here for you to malign... if it makes you feel better, I'm happy to help.

However, in future, a more constructive use of your time might be to counter my attempts to educate people into being more self-sufficient by having you spoon feed them the answers they worked so hard to earn. I mean, a 2-sentence post most definitely deserves a full 1,000-word essay on the best keyboard for his needs, no? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

SG

Sven,

After reading this thread, I can see that Rabid is not the only one who sees you as authoritarian. In looking at your response to the original poster, it isn't the help you offer that might turn away a newbie, but the sarcasm that adjoins it. If you left of the "Yes, you can." and the comment about newbies not reading the forum README a well as 3.) in it's entirety, the message says the same but comes across much more favorably. I guess I have been here long enough to ignore most of the added text, but (for what it is worth) read your response more than once before you hit the "reply" key. It works for me when I get mad. :)

Don

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Originally posted by Desert Rat:

Sven,

After reading this thread, I can see that Rabid is not the only one who sees you as authoritarian. In looking at your response to the original poster, it isn't the help you offer that might turn away a newbie, but the sarcasm that adjoins it. If you left of the "Yes, you can." and the comment about newbies not reading the forum README a well as 3.) in it's entirety, the message says the same but comes across much more favorably. I guess I have been here long enough to ignore most of the added text, but (for what it is worth) read your response more than once before you hit the "reply" key. It works for me when I get mad. :)

Don

Don:

Thanks for the reply, and your constructive input. To be honest, I *did* read (and re-read) that reply numerous times before I hit reply. I felt bad about the italicized comments about the README, but decided to keep it in anyway. My bad. :(

As for 3), there was no sarcasm intended at all. Just goes to show that the written word is so easily misinterpreted (although I'll suggest it has more to do with the inferences of the reader than the implications of the author in this specific instance). I was sincerely suggesting that the poster should absorb as much of the content available here, otherwise answers won't make much sense (we have a rather particular vernacular here in the forum, after all).

Of course, there is no mistaking the feelings of certain forum members who would much rather have the signal-to-noise ratio go back to what it used to be. Hey, sue me for seeing "Expert Forums" at the top of each page and actually believing that there's a standard to be upheld here. :rolleyes:

I guess I'll just be content to be an authoritarian asshole, and try to sleep at night. Something tells me it won't be too hard.

Oh, and Rabid, if you think what I'm doing constitutes being the "Forum Police", you really need to get out more. :wave:

SG

Originally posted by Rabid:

Well, I would like to see the sigal level rise to what it was a year or two ago. For that we need new people. For new people to hang around for more than one post they need to feel welcome.

Well, I'll leave it to you to spoon-feed the newbies, then, and I'll make a point of not answering ANY posts from anyone with fewer than 20 posts. :thu:

Enjoy.

SG

Well, I'll just chime in here ... Sven, I thought your reply was fine. I thought the way you answered was overall mild-mannered and informative (maybe I, too, was automatically overlooking sarcasm, but that is my initial take for what it's worth).

Rabid, I don't know if I should confess this, but when I read your post, I kinda thought you were just ribbing Sven ... not serious. Anyway, your opinion is valid and I don't want to get in the middle of anything there ... just an interesting aside. As Sven already mentioned, it "just goes to show that the written word is so easily misinterpreted." Guess I'm in a warm fuzzy mood today.

nutifafa,welcome! There really is a wealth of information you can search for here, and if you get stuck and need answers on specific things, posters here are happy to answer!

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Well geekgurl, I was sort of ribbing and sort of really sticking it in. Don't worry to much. We go through this every frew months. I get mad because I think potential new members are being run off with less than friendly first contact. Sven gets mad and says he will not answer posts unless the person has a certain number to his count. (I think it was 50 last time, but I am getting old and the memory is going.) Then we both go to our corners and move on. I don't think either of us will ever change. :)

But hey, even brothers have arguments. I hope that long term forum members can air their differences and then buy each other a beer. (Pepsi for me.) I may come across harsh but honestly, if Sven was to somehow get stuck in Kentucky without his wallet I would pick him up, buy him dinner and offer him the spare bedroom for the night. There is no one on this forum that I do not like, just people that I sometiems get aggrovated with. I'm sure a lot of people sometimes get aggrovated with me. That happens when you mix people who are different. But people who are differernt are also interesting, so I deal with it.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I must say I'm with Sven on this one. I thought his first post was very direct and appropriate. For a long time, I was one of the very first people to respond to just about any post. In fact, Sven and I have done quite a lot of honest-to-goodness tag-team help for newbies.

With that said, in the last couple of months there have been a large number of folks that come in with vague questions that could have a thousand answers. It is often hard to tell whether these are sincere new members or folks like the Cylon Vocoder guy trying to consume bandwidth or otherwise clutter the first page with low value posts. Call me jaded, but I barely get the time to visit the forum and so I'm usually looking for topics that are more focused and articulated in a way to indicate that the original poster has done some kind of initial due diligence. We've had a nice mix of this as well and so I'm at the point of simply ignoring the posts from the former types.

Regards,

Eric

If this had been a different newbie thread than I might think there would be room for an argument here. But this person gave us nothing to go on. There was zero information provided.

For those of you who feel the poster was maligned, how would propose that we could have responded to this request? Should each of us have compiled a list of the several hundred keyboards available with our personal opinion on each? should then have repeated the list for each particular playing style and skill level applicable to said keyboards?

Many people have suggested a FAQ or something similar. I think its the forums repsonsibility to provide a way to help new people assimilate themselves into the community. Guide the newbies through the basics so they can then post an intelligent question.

Plus, I just love these controversial threads. I wonder if nutifafa is a smoker? :D

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

In his post, Eric stated: "Call me jaded, but I barely get the time to visit the forum..." and Stephen Fortner in his "Searching for what you need" README post states:"the fact that more veteran members see this question a lot and may not have unlimited typing time."

I only wish the number and timing of posts would bear this out. Recalling a recent thread, "How much time do you spend in the forum?", most users didn't indicate that this was a once-a-week thing.

:confused:

If you are spending the time reading and responding to others, looking at the number of posts and topic should be adequate to determine whether or not to reply. In short, it might be better not to reply to the newbie post than to say anything which even might be misconstrued as offensive. Hey, I like the information I get here and hope that more, rather than less, become involved in the forum. With regard to experts, their function is to provide information to those less knowlegeable...otherwise they would be refered to as "prima donnas". :o

O.K., I've said enough. I just want to get back to learning all the stuff I should have learned years ago. :rolleyes:

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Originally posted by Desert Rat:

With regard to experts, their function is to provide information to those less knowlegeable...otherwise they would be refered to as "prima donnas". :o

I have to respond to this. ;)

Pick someone, anyone, that you consider to be an expert. Keyboards, automobiles, computers, you pick the subject area.

Now, walk up to them, and out of the blue, without benefit of introduction or backstory, ask them "I need to buy a ___________. What should I buy?"

What sort of response would you expect?

Be honest.

I'm sorry, but if a person can't bring themselves to put in a little bit of effort in posing their question, then do they really deserve any of that expert's time?

Frankly, I think I was more than fair in my response. I'm glad to see there are others here who support me in that.

I truly hope that this new member is reading all of this, and understands that my response was not to dissuade him from participating in this fabulous community, but was meant to help him become a more active, capable participant.

Conversely, if they were hoping to get a quick answer, then they really haven't earned the time and experience that the vast majority of this community has to offer.

Harsh? You may think so... but considering that I earn good money to share my expertise (in a different industry), I think it's entirely realistic. This of course doesn't stop everyone else from ponying up and offering their knowledge and experience.

...and the world continues to turn. :)

Cheers,

SG

Archived