Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

700sx owners/general splitting question?

Garrafon

Ok, I'll be the first to admit I have very limited information on programming keyboards and, despite reading my manual, I still have a question whether the following is possible (it seems it should be).

I want to split my keyboard (yes, I can do that thank you very much). I've got piano on the lower split and horns on the upper split. The problem is that, where the horns sit at my desired split point, they are too high pitched.

What I want to do is transpose the upper split sound. I don't really want to change the key of the upper split, but knock it down an octave or two so I can get the proper horn range playing on the upper octave of my piano.

Does anyone know if this is possible and, if so, have any suggestions on how to accomplish it?

Thanks in advance,

Seth

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use setups for this

Assign a horn or flute to UP1, press ZONE (f2), right arrow key to TRA , use DEC to decrease to - 12 or -24

You can do something similar using TONE, and adjust coarse tone

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Hah, sounds like I'm about as savy as you garrafon. I actually did learn how to split the keyboard and change octives, even save settings! My favorite setting is have the entire keyboard piano, but then also have the lower part of the keyboard play both piano and organ. When you want a little organ mixed in you can just push up that zone with out loosing any of the piano notes. You have four zones to assign different sounds to, have fun.

I think Roland has done a nice job making navigation and setups reasonably easy on the RD series

I also control my Fantom XR from my Rd700SX

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

On the RD700, it would be nice if you could use the Transpose button to transpose just one of the two splits, and leave the other unchanged. It's a rare instance when I don't want to transpose one of the patches by an octave when I do a split (or both in different directions). You can't really do this on the fly, as far as I can tell.

Originally posted by stoo schultz:

On the RD700, it would be nice if you could use the Transpose button to transpose just one of the two splits, and leave the other unchanged. It's a rare instance when I don't want to transpose one of the patches by an octave when I do a split (or both in different directions). You can't really do this on the fly, as far as I can tell.

That's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish (transposing only the upper split, while leaving the lower split alone(. I thought (although I have not tried it yet) that Greg's response was telling me how to acoomplish that.

Originally posted by stoo schultz:

Garrafon, yes Greg's response will do that just fine. What I'm asking is whether you can do this more quickly with just the transpose button (on the RD700). AFAIK you can't, because the transpose button always transposes the entire keyboard.

Gotcha, ok. Yeah, I think you probably cannot do what you are asking, because that is what I spent some time trying to do - see if you can transpose a split with the transpose button. If I get time, perhaps I'll shoot an e-mail to Roland (unless anyone here knows the answer).

What I'm trying to understand is why you can't just program some setups with your favorite splits and then you can have them programmed exactly as you want them? Recallable at the touch of a button.

I don't understand the need to redo this all the time in realtime.

Busch.

Guys, why is this such a difficult concept? Roland's manual for the RD700SX isn't that bad.... ;)

The Transpose button is a Global setting, and applies to the entire keyboard (see p.42 of the manual).

The setting you are looking for is on p.69 of the manual, "Setting the Transposition For Each Individual Zone".

So, short answer, no, the transpose button will not affect just one tone or zone when playing a split performance.

Cheers,

SG

Guys, why is this such a difficult concept? Roland's manual for the RD700SX isn't that bad....
Well all I've got is the RD700 manual . . . no mention of "global" there in conjunction with that particular button (see pp. 12, 46).

When a possible feature is this useful, sometimes you want to check to make sure that it really doesn't exist . . . ;)

Thanks Sven. I admittedly missed the little note on the side of the manual that said:

You can set the degree of

transposition for each of the

Zone individually. For details,

refer to Setting the

Transposition for Each

Individual Zone (Transpose)

(p. 69).

Archived