Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone owned an ARP 4 Voice or 16 Voice Piano

AUSSIEKEYS

Anyone owned an ARP 4 VOICE or 16 Voice Piano

or Yamaha CP 30.

After selling my first keyboard a VOX JAGUAR

[god I wish I still had that now...it was so cool looking and I could emulate my fav band the MONKEES at the time]...and Damn it still my fav band......i dont need to here your thoughts on THAT.

My first piano was a Yamaha CP 30 quite a purchase for a young live player here in Australia probably around 28 years ago

It felt great to play,nice action but unfortunately sounded like a carnival

,with weak piano sounds,what a waste of a fine action.

With that fine action came the weight but as a young man that didnt bother me,[probably one of the reasons ive recently had a double hearnia op...hee hee]

Then browsing thru HUTCHINGs keyboards I came across an ARP 4 voice piano the cut down sound version of the 16 voice piano.

This was rather exciting,I also got it cheap as a no guarentee / dont bring it back type of sale....did they see me coming.....or did I see them .....as all that was wrong was an intermittent buzz that turned out to simply be an earth wire touching some electronics,

This introduced me to pulling apart my first electronic gear to rectify a fault and much to my amazement I was able to fix it myself....and my dont bring it back bargain truley was a bargain.

This piano was amazingly light to carry for an instrument that was rather large ,equally as large as the CP 30.I can still remember that new smell of electronics and vynyl covering on the body.

it wasnt as good an action but pleasing enough more synth like but actually sounded a lot better than the CP 30.

My question is did any of you ever own An ARP 4 VOICE or 16 VOICE piano.I never heard of them again since I owned one.Were they rare or common overseas.Are they an important part of Arp history or should we "Plesase dont mention the war" on them.

Aussiekeys

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they're common anywhere, even on the 'bay.

ARP pianos suffered some nasty technical problems in the initial production run, they were really noisy, and the timbre did not change with velocity. Not very popular instruments. Anybody I know that owned one hated them.

I believe they lived on as Rhodes Electronic pianos when CBS acquired them after the liquidation, and they weren't much better then either.

Thanks didnt think id get a reply so quick.

my recollections were only good as i had only the CP 30 at the time to compare with

the arp was lighter and sounded better...cut through the band better...and I could at the time live with the feel....i didnt know much else.

I guess now id wonder why the hell i bought such a beast...but I have always liked to own uncommon keyboards sometimes to my detriment.

From the same shop years later I bought a Korg Trident....a rare expensive beast in australia and a second hand Chroma Polaris with real bad ribbon connector problems inside...had it repaired but it never really seemed like it was right.and this was a rare beast here too..as it was an expensive machine when new.

thanks for making me realise nostalga is just that.........reality gets lost in the fog of the past.......still there were not a lot of piano options in australia that were really very good or affordable.......or transportable the arp was one of the easiest to lug.

maybe i fixed the noise problem you mention....tee hee.

any one still own one....or were they all put out to pasture....and no im not after one.

I remember the anticipation and excitement waiting for these to arrive. Out bass player worked in the largest music store in Seattle at the time. The Arp reps were hyping it up... "You guys aren't going to believe this thing. They've really done it... made a realistic portable electric piano." Arp was still thought of as miracle workers.

Unbelievable disappointment when they got one in. Everyone thought the little Univox Electric Piano, which had been around for awhile and sold for $300, sounded better. There was no way this was going to be a lightweight alternative to the CP-70. And they wanted a fortune for it too... I can't remember the exact price but it was over two grand.

Only after Arp folded did we learn just how desperate Arp was at the time and how they fast rushed this piano out. Way before it was ready.

Wow a UNIVOX piano....never heard of that one but ironically I have still a UNIVOX organ...circa 1948 / 1950s by Jennings a little portable organ perhaps the first of its kind...gotta start a thread on this one too.

now obviously they reused the name again on a piano.

it would seem as often is the case Australia was the dumping ground for another so so keyboard and mine was still exhibiting a noise problem ..perhaps i had bought a returned repair hence the reason we were getting them cheap.

Still I repaired it and it never played up again.

ah the Cp 70 the closest i could afford was the CP 30 and that was dismal

Archived