Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sheet/transcription for echoes of spring?

Kayvon

Found this piece on Napster by Willie 'The Lion' Smith after doing some delving into stride piano, it's a wonderful tune that makes a pleasant departure from conventional strides.

As it features rolled left-hand tenths I may be capable of playing it in some fashion with my current keyboard ability so I'm on the look out for a transcription of some sort.

I been doing some searching and googling and so far I haven't been able to find this particular piece, I've found a couple of other pieces by Willie Smith but not this actual one.

My own transcription skills aren't wonderful and it would take me a great deal of time to make significant inroads into the tune so I was just wondering if anyone was aware of where i might be able to get hold of a transcription of this tune or if anyone had any ideas of good places to search.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Pete.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a nice tune (I gave a sample a listen on allmusic.com).

Whether or not you find a transcription, I would recommend trying to learn it by ear. It's not as difficult as most stride tunes to learn since the left hand mostly is playing single notes rather than chords, and it's fairly short, less than 3 mins with repeats.

As consolation, you might want to keep in mind that Willie Smith never had any JP Johnson or Fats Waller transcriptions to learn from :)

Originally posted by stoo schultz:

As consolation, you might want to keep in mind that Willie Smith never had any JP Johnson or Fats Waller transcriptions to learn from :)

Or wave editors with eq and timestrech so I guess I'm spoiled when it comes to tools to aid me!

Oh well, unless something else comes up I guess i'll have to see what I can do by ear, I've got a performance coming up soon where I wanted to do this piece so time constraints may make it not possible for now.

I guess another bonus of the digital age is that I'm able to easily tune my keyboard, the recording i've got is definitely not at A=440 hz!

Archived