Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Patches, drawbars and knobs

Phred

In another thread someone mentioned something about nord electros buttons being better than drawbars because they can move when you call up a new patch.

Although I love drawbars, I have to agree that they don't play nicely with patches. Take my clone as an example (Roland VK7). Imagine I my drawbars set to 888888888 and then switched to a patch with 888------, the phyiscal drawbars are still all the way out - just not contributing to the sound. At this point there is no way for me to turn 888------ into 8886----4 while playing without some momentary weirdness.

Why use patches at all? Maybe that's my problem. I rarely do, but I have one main use case for it. Solos. I tend to start my solo at -say 8888 and gradualy open it up, and end on say 888888665 or something. At the end of the solo, I want (need) to go back to 8888 in a hurry, so I hit the patch button.

Is there a way that patches can play better with drawbars? I think so. Here are the options that I can think of, what do you guys think?

a) Keep it the same - that's the way a hammond works, and you shouldn't be using patches anyway moron.

b) Motorized drawbars - probably really expensive but really cool. Kind of how the electro works.

c) Don't change the sound until you hit the point where the drawbar is virtually set... Hard to explain - if my drawbar is out to 8 and my patch says it is at 4, the it should start making noise when I hit 4.

d) a drawbar hold button. I want my drawbars movements to not register until I press a button. That could potentially get me away from using patches at all.

Aside: Anyone know if there is a way to bypass drawbar changes when changing patches on the VK7. In other words I want to change patches for keyclick, amp settings, percussion, what ever, but leave the drawbars where they are...

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gosh, even on my real Hammonds I don't tend to use the drawbars in realtime. I use the two presets on each manual, giving me a total of four changes of drawbar settings. I wonder what the percentage of songs are where the artist changes the drawbars other than in blues/jazz settings?

Brian

Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

Archived