Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Logic Audio 6 - good bye Windows users

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by dino321: [b]Why would anyone pay for copy protected software? What a pain in the ass! MAC users must love to have their sequencer refuse to work unless you put your CD in. They also must really get off on having dongles stuck up their ports![/b][/quote]The logic dongle is USB, and covers all of its built in instruments, too (I agree about copy protection). It seems to present few, if any, problems. Logic Platinum Windows 5.5 forever, for me, I guess :cry:

[quote]Originally posted by Doug Osborne: [b][QUOTE]The logic dongle is USB.It seems to present few, if any, problems. [/b][/quote]Except when you accidently and gently drop it on a thick carpeted floor and suffer days if not weeks of down time.I would never put up with that much less pay money. :rolleyes:
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

"I'm just worried about Apple taking away support for Digidesign (or the other way around), since now both companies are enemies..." Despite the Emagic acquisition, Apple and Digi are NOT enemies. I was at Job's keynote at MacWorld SF, and he made a pitch for ProTools 6 for OS X...at past keynotes, he has made time for OS X demos from lots of different companies (Adobe, Microsoft, Palm) etc. This time, ProTools was the ONLY non-Apple piece of software to be demo'd. Clearly, Jobs understands that ProTools is an important key to Apple's continued success in the pro-audio/MIDI sector. Also, don't forget that Emagic provides TDM bridge software that allows you to get all the benefits of running TDM hardware and plugins from within Logic Audio. Emagic has always worked closely with Digi to provide ProTools compatibility. I think Apple wants to sell Logic as "the FinalCut Pro of audio and MIDI"...in other words, a fully professional program that doesn't require any expensive hardware add-ons outside of the computer itself. For studios that demand near-zero latency and lots of DSP horsepower for plugins, those $10K ProTools systems will always be the preferred option. BTW, regarding the dongle...if you haven't tried it, don't knock it! The thing works perfectly. I've dropped mine on hardwood floors and not had any problems. Yes, I'd rather not have to deal with copy-protection, but the reality is that in the highly-specialized market of pro-audio and MIDI, copy-protection *is* a necessary evil. Emagic are not the only ones doing it...Waves is introducing their "iLok" dongle program for Waves 4.0, and what about TC Powercore and UAD? You can't run their plugs without the PCI card...now of course, the cards provide extra DSP horsepower, but they are also a form of copy-protection.

Archived