Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Supreme Court's decision supporting copyright term extension

[url=http://www.ascap.com/press/2003/copyrightstatement_011603.html]ASCAP in the News[/url] For anyone who is not already aware of the Supreme Courts' ruling on copyright extension... Old news maybe, but I didn't see any posts about it so I thought I'd toss up the link.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We hear all the time about how our Constitution should be "fluid" and adaptable to the times. I almost always disagree with this, but here's one area where it's true. When the Founders wrote copyright protection into the Constitution, I don't think they could have foreseen the mass media we have today. Could they have guessed that an image of a cartoon mouse would ever become so hot a property, or that its image would be in popular use for so long a time? I doubt they could conceive that any great fortune could be made from a 75-year-old idea. I am glad to see that the court protected intellectual property. Ideas are easy to steal - they don't make a bulge in your jacket.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

[quote]Originally posted by Jode: [b]We hear all the time about how our Constitution should be "fluid" and adaptable to the times. I almost always disagree with this, but here's one area where it's true. When the Founders wrote copyright protection into the Constitution, I don't think they could have foreseen the mass media we have today. Could they have guessed that an image of a cartoon mouse would ever become so hot a property, or that its image would be in popular use for so long a time? I doubt they could conceive that any great fortune could be made from a 75-year-old idea. I am glad to see that the court protected intellectual property. Ideas are easy to steal - they don't make a bulge in your jacket.[/b][/quote]Since when has copyright protection been written into The Constitution? It's just a law, not one of the founding principles of America.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Article I, Section 8, Clause 8: (The Congress shall have the power) to promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries. The Founding Fathers knew that the basis of all other freedoms was property rights, whether physical property such as land, or more abstract property such as patents and copyrights. That is what makes this country special: when a man owns something, he OWNS it, and he has first claim to it, and not the government, or the King, or the Fuhrer, or what have you.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Archived