Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why is trip-hop so addictive?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by astor*: [b]Great thought, Jeebus.... EBTG selections I'd suggest are "Walking Wounded" or "Temperamental'" Don't buy anything pre-WW though...not if you're expecting trip-hop anyway. They trasnformed themselves from a great pop-folkish duo to electro gurus with WW. Ben Watt is actually a pretty well established DJ now...The Omni Trio remix of Walking Wounded is such a sweet d&b delight. It's not trip hop but if you're into dub...Massive Attack vs. Mad Professor "No Protection" is my favorite MA disc.[/b][/quote]EBTG re-invented themselves after collaborating with MA on Protection.Tracy Thorne had long been a favourite vocalist of Nellee Hooper,who did production on Protection.All these people(Massive Attack,Portishead,Tricky,Nellee Hooper,The Startled Insects,Roni Size and Reprazent)are from this town(Bristol),and there is a very complex family tree linking them all to each other and to acts such as Neneh Cherry,Bjork,and even Madonna and U2.These links go back to punk days.Maybe I'll write it all down one day.The new MA album is worth the wait... Just a note on work methods for Mezzanine:record 6 weeks worth of live band jams on 24-track 2-inch,dump it all into protools,and spend a year or two mashing it up.Easy. ;)

Big Hat. No Cattle.

http://www.theshrinks.com/

[b]Jeebus[/b]: Yeah, I was suggesting the whole Walking Wounded disc, not just the single. Before Today is quite pretty, but my favorite one on that disc in the non-trip hop ditty, Mirror Ball. Tracy Thorn could sing the phone book and it would bring tears to my eyes. Another trip hop suggestion, anything by [b]Red Snapper[/b] .

[quote]Originally posted by aeon: [b]Look for “What Your Soul Sings,” and prepare to freak out! :D [/b][/quote]Aeon, I just listened to this track, and the drum sounds just blow me away. Those reverse cymbal "thk-a-thk-a-thk" sounds are amazing. I'd love to know how they did that... It sounds like a mix of live and sequenced percussion for sure. Sinead O'Connor isn't one of their usual singer choices either, but she works surprisingly well with them. Great song.

• 2 weeks later...
MASSIVE ATTACK's new album has arrived. At least it has in the UK. Just listened to it for the first time. It has been worth the wait, very very good. I'll try and get round to posting again once I've had another proper listen all the way through. John Scotsman

I listened to it online (massiveattack.com) -- gonna go get my copy today. It's awesome. They're still the pinnacle of trip hop for me. Also, thanks for the Lamb recommendation up there. I like that CD a lot as well. Monk -- how's your project going? Best, --JES

JES, Unfortunately, the project has been put on hold the singer has family issues to deal with at this time.But,An old friend of mine(A DJ/Programmer)has brought me onboard for his Industrial/Trip hop album,This one should be intersting cause we used to have a band together and work very well together(bonus:he lives in town).Of course my car took a complete "dump" need a new engine.. :mad: Just got a job w/ a food distributor that handles albertsons accounts,so rebuilt engine,new gear, and the move too vegas real sooon :thu: i will post some tunes in the next few weeks,rough mixes :thu: for you and Jeebus and anyone else.. Monk
I cannot be bought, and I cannot be threatened. But if you put them both together then I'm your man!"

Skip - Definately [quote]Originally posted by Jeebus: [b]I really wish I could pick their brains about the production. :eek: [/b][/quote]If there isn't already I'm sure there will be a feature in Sound On Sound or FutureMusic. Imagine sitting in on one of their sessions and just observing everything thats going on.

[quote]Originally posted by flyscots: [b]If there isn't already I'm sure there will be a feature in Sound On Sound or FutureMusic. Imagine sitting in on one of their sessions and just observing everything thats going on.[/b][/quote]No kidding.. that would be incredible. I've gone through the Sound On Sound archives already and haven't found anything except some general discussion with one of their producers. Nothing Massive-specific though.

jeebus, Sorry amigo, since i got this job 3weeks ago,music has been on the back burner :mad: Who would have thought that a grocery distro job would take all my time working 12+hrs daily.
I cannot be bought, and I cannot be threatened. But if you put them both together then I'm your man!"

Well as far as some initial production observations of 100th Window I can tell you they are using Native Instruments Absynth alot. In fact I can tell you what patch they are using in the intro to Special Cases and Butterfly Caught, a patch called The Abyss. Default, unaltered preset. I've used it in some of my songs.
S.K. Evans | Animus Mundi | Nuendo 3.01, 3 WinXP SP1 machines (p4 3.0, 2.4 Celeron, 2.4 Celeron), Fxteleport, RME Multiface, 2 UAD cards

Apophe, I have Absynth and I checked out The Abyss, but that patch doesn't sound like the beginning to Butterfly Caught. Special Cases is much closer to that sound, but they must be doing something else because it doesn't sound like straight Absynth. Good call though, they definitely do use it alot.

[quote]Originally posted by Chris Himself: [b]Apophe, I have Absynth and I checked out The Abyss, but that patch doesn't sound like the beginning to Butterfly Caught. Special Cases is much closer to that sound, but they must be doing something else because it doesn't sound like straight Absynth. Good call though, they definitely do use it alot.[/b][/quote]yeeah chris you are right, thats the one I meant. I am still fresh with this album so I havent totally learned all the songs yet. Interesting in the least however. The playing fields have levelled. Those on the "non-pro" and of things like me have access and use the same tools the "pros" do. aaah technology... anythings possible, with a little talent of course.
S.K. Evans | Animus Mundi | Nuendo 3.01, 3 WinXP SP1 machines (p4 3.0, 2.4 Celeron, 2.4 Celeron), Fxteleport, RME Multiface, 2 UAD cards

• 4 weeks later...
[quote]Originally posted by Jeebus: [b] [quote]Originally posted by flyscots: [b]If there isn't already I'm sure there will be a feature in Sound On Sound or FutureMusic. Imagine sitting in on one of their sessions and just observing everything thats going on.[/b][/quote]No kidding.. that would be incredible. I've gone through the Sound On Sound archives already and haven't found anything except some general discussion with one of their producers. Nothing Massive-specific though.[/b][/quote]FYI: The latest issue of Sound on Sound (April 2003) has a feature article called Neil Davidge: Recording 100th Window :thu:

• 7 months later...
Jeebus, Longtime, well the project went down the tubes but i am working on an industrial/metal band called Particle Son(they have some earlier tunage on mp3.com if you wanna hear them).I'm hoping to back in gear asap, work and panic attacks have hindered me in day to day stuff as of late.Thanks for asking :) BTW this album is going to be done on +/- Dec 15,2003 i'll get ya copy if interested.

Archived