Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why is trip-hop so addictive?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No it's not a midlife crisis,joker :thu: I love trip-hop,Massive Attack's "Mezzanine" is a classic.Portisheads "Sour Times" should be the theme song to my life.Thats a different story..
I cannot be bought, and I cannot be threatened. But if you put them both together then I'm your man!"

Hey Jeebus, I'm doing the programming for my friends band over the next few months,i'll see if she will let me advance you a copy as we progress it's gonna be cool. Monk
I cannot be bought, and I cannot be threatened. But if you put them both together then I'm your man!"

Jeebus, Her style is Bjork-ish.It definiteley has a Portishead meets Old "Cure" vibe so far.Whats really cool is she's really on top of using the gear of the trade(daws,samplers.etc) makes it real easy to get ideas down as she lives in another state. Monk

Anti-midi monk, I'd love to hear what you guys have done. Regarding the gear, the only hardware sampler I have is the one built into the Triton, but the software apps and plugins are really taking off lately, I don't really see the need for one anymore. Skip: 6 underground is cool, and there have been some great remixes of it. How about Becoming X? I can't stop listening to it.

Jeebus, I agree there is no real need for hardware,I do all my composing on a Wallstreet powerbook w/Rebirth,Pro-tools,and various plugs.I'm looking forward to that soft-K station!!! She still swears by her Akai sampler so i gotta deal with it, Monk

I've never heard of any of these bands. Whenever I hear techno music, I always think for the first ten seconds, "Wow! That's a really cool beat!" Then, five minutes later, I think, "Wow! That might have been a good song if someone had taken the time to put some lyrics and a melody over it, vary the rhythm section once in a while, and jam over more than ONE CHORD." Music For Robots

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Dan, I strongly suggest giving Massive Attack a listen. It's not your run-of-the-mill electronica, it's very organic sounding and melodic. Try "Protection" and "Teardrop" if you're into the slower, softer more emotional stuff. Portishead's most popular song was probably Glory Box.. check out the guitar solo. :thu:

Dan, heres some others to check: Thievery Corporation We Delerium Switchblade Symphony(Kinda gothic,but is really good stuff) Future Sounds of London

[quote]Originally posted by the anti-midi monk: [b]Dan, heres some others to check: Thievery Corporation We Delerium Switchblade Symphony(Kinda gothic,but is really good stuff) Future Sounds of London[/b][/quote]Thievery Corporation is great! and Delerium is probably on the very top of my list. I also reccomend Zero 7. The biggest problem is that trip-hop is not a very well-defined genre, and there's a lot of crossover. Some people called Zero 7 pop, other people call it 'soul'. Some people call Delerium 'techno'... you get the picture.

90's trip hop is great. Too bad Sneaker Pimps shot themselves in the foot by changing their lineup after the first album. Massive Attack's new CD is coming - in March, I think. Morcheeba's been getting marketed pretty strongly, but never have seemed to break through the way their label seems to want them to. And where did Portishead go?

Three of my favorite albums of all time are Massive Attack "Protection" Tricky "Maxinquay" and portishead "Dummy". Tricky has never come close to topping himself since that one. When I think of the Sneaker Pimps I think of the garage House remix of "Spin Spin Sugar" by Armand van Helden - I never associate them with trip hop....maybe I'll give them a listen. [b]Dan[/b] , Jeebus is correct - don't assicoiate trip hop with club style tehno music. I think you'd really appreciate the beautiful songs and production that went into these albums. It's not four on the floor by any stretch. Tracy Thorns' vocals make the entire "Protection" disc worthwhile whether or not you care for the music. Trust me, you'll be grooving for hours :)

Glad to see I'm not the only trip hop lover here. Yes Dan, the Jeebus and everyone else here is right about this stuff...I dare say even LEE might get to like it. ;) Massive Attack have been called the pioneers of trip hop, and they like using very distinctive sounding vocalists, and very diverse song structures/production styles. Check out their cover of "Man Next Door". Someone who isn't familiar with them could hear 6 Massive Attack songs and easily think they were hearing 6 different bands. Astor, for the Sneaker Pimps, I reccomend 6 Underground or Becoming X.

[quote]Originally posted by Big Brother Jeebus: [b]Try "Protection" and "Teardrop" if you're into the slower, softer more emotional stuff. [/b][/quote]"Exchange" from _Mezzanine_ is in that same category IMO... and "Unfinished Sympathy" from _Blue Lines_ is great, too. Moby's "Porcelein" is brilliant as well. It's cool to play that progression backwards into a Line6 delay modeler, have it loop it in reverse and solo over it. Haven't heard anyone else do that (yet)...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]Originally posted by Chris Himself: [b]Massive Attack have been called the pioneers of trip hop, and they like using very distinctive sounding vocalists, and very diverse song structures/production styles. Check out their cover of "Man Next Door". Someone who isn't familiar with them could hear 6 Massive Attack songs and easily think they were hearing 6 different bands.[/b][/quote]The Jeebus believes you are right on all counts. Sinead O'Conner is one of the vocalists on their new album, and it looks like she's going to be touring with them as well. It should prove to be interesting.

[quote]Originally posted by felix: [b]90's trip hop is great. Too bad Sneaker Pimps shot themselves in the foot by changing their lineup after the first album. And where did Portishead go?[/b][/quote]Gotta disagree here (though I acknowledge vocalists are a matter of taste). The last two Sneaker Pimps albums are some of my favorites -- not right away, but after a couple listens some of the songs really get into you, and I really dig the songwriting -- some great and simple chords structures and melodies, and I actually quite like guy's voice (BTW, as I understand it, he did all the vocals for the first albums as well, and then the label brought in a female singer at the last minute). I hear from one of my students that Portishead is putting out another CD sometime soon. Just discovered Zero7, and they're cool, though a lot jazzier than other bands of the type. For something similarly divergent, try Moloko -- they're like P-Funk + Devo for trip-hop. Really imaginative, sometimes funny, and great funky beats. Keep the suggestions coming! Best, --JES

Archived