Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT (sort of) Bose PAS

Phred

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:My father's a podiatrist. ;)
I had to think about this. Are you telling me to keep walking? Or that my foot's always stuck in my mouth? Or? There's nothing wrong with my feet. I should rephrase "appear to be on my way" to "appear to be headed in the wrong direction", emphasis on 'appear'. However it's all a bit complicated, and bottom line is I'm beginning to feel like I'm dressed all wrong. Is this how you want me to feel, huh Tom?? :D

Third choice....

Poor Phred.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sue,

how can you have two different avatars in two different threads? :confused:

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Sorry, never mind, I guess that I just caught you in one of those moments of transition... :freak:
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by Dreamer:

Yes, I like it too.

That's funny, for a minute I thought you were talking about the Bose!

Yes, very elegant monogram. Dual clef, very fenging shui. Perhaps I'll stitch it on my keyboard cover. (when I get to making it. Hi MikeT! :):wave: )

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?: Ummmmm, like you've got something else to do? ;)
no, not really. I have a break for a couple hours. I think I'll go for a walk in the first real snowfall of the season. Looks kind of nice out there.. See ya!

Originally posted by gangsu:

(no need to go spilling your beans on anybody's real initials. One never knows who's listening. ;) )

Wait... you found someone who cares? ;)

Edit... that sounded kinda harsh and I was just messin' wit' ya Sue. I care. Even if you DO ride a broom. ;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Phred:

I think a few of you guys are using these... anyone using them as part of a full band setting, where each musician has one.

Yes I am... my band was chosen by Bose to beta test them so we've been using them since shortly before they were released, a little over two years. Just to clarify - we don't sell the systems and aren't paid to use them.

a) what do you do about amps? Guitar amps, leslies etc... Do they stay on the stage, or off of the stage.

I'm personally one of those guitar players who is a total "vintage tube amp snob" and amp sims don't cut it for me. Bose of course is really hot on the idea that the amps should stay home and there's no backline - which is cool if you're happy with the sound of that, but I'm not. So, I have a small tube amp which I mic through my PAS. I used to carry my larger combos around and throttle down the stage volume with a Dr. Z Air Brake (a power attenuator that goes between amp and speaker). But started migrating to smaller amps for the gigs we play with the PAS... no reason to cart a big heavy amp around if it's not necessary. The whole trick is to reduce stage volume, however you do it, so that you're allowing the PAS to disperse most of your sound.

I've heard quite a few keyboardists through the PAS but none with a real Leslie - I don't think that would work! Kinda defeats the purpose. But keyboards with good Leslie simulation like the Nord Electro sound great just plugged straight into the PAS - at least to this guitar player's ears; I know some keyboardists are as much Leslie snobs as I am a tube amp snob! :D But as far as using a conventional keyboard amp with the PAS there's no reason to, that I can see. If you were to use a Leslie, I imagine you'd have to keep it offstage and probably isolate it some way... stick it inside a flight case or some such. Sounds like a recipe for a hernia. But I leave my amps onstage in the normal position... most of the sound is still coming from the PAS so it's fine to leave it where I can reach the controls easily.

b) feedback. I don't understand why things don't feedback if you stand in front of it and the mic can pick up the noise of it...

Well, you can get it to feed back if you really try. :D But... it's quite feedback resistant. I think for two reasons: 1) fewer reflections (a leading cause of feedback) because the PAS doesn't bounce reflections off the floor or ceiling, 2) since you have each source only coming from one place it reduces opportunity for feedback loops... i.e. you don't have the singer's voice coming through 5 people's monitors, only the one PAS.

Hope that answered your questions! :)

Originally posted by burningbusch:

I believe the basic piano sound of the ProMega is still sample based. I think they use physical modeling for sustain pedal resonace and other things. Roland and Yamaha do this as well. I think the Rhodes on the ProMega might be physically modelled. I realy liked the Rhodes and how it responded.

Busch.

Hi,

A quick clarification;

The Steinway and Fazioli sounds in the Promega do use samples, HOWEVER these samples are only used by the modeling algorithms as a reference, i.e. based on the velocity of notes played, the model refers to the pp and ff samples and determines the harmonic content including individual amplitude and decay rate that would exist at that velocity and then creates in real-time the resulting sound. So basically you are not hearing the samples at all.

The Rhodes, Wurlitzer and Clavinet sounds are entirely modeled.

The natural string resonance and damper modeling are being created solely through physical modeling. Due to the capabilities of the DRAKE processor, these aspects are not limited by polyphony or processor bog-down.

I'll leave it at that since this has been gone over more than once in other threads.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Archived