Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT:The History Channel

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b] [quote]Originally posted by JDL: [b]THANKS SUPER 8 FOR THAT AMUSING SITE(Moon truth.com) That's sooooooooooooo funny(seriously) Hey, is it a crime if people actually agree on a topic? Anyways, yes I love the Mail Call show and the Conquest show. That was on yesterday(Conquest) and it was awesome! They showed the "weird" weapons of olden times! Hey! I'm not old! Defenitly not 50 or 60 and I still watch it! I haven't seen THAT much of Hitler on the History Channel. Man, stop blowing it out of proportion guys. I love all the shows where they explain in detail all of the weapons. And the Osbournes watch alot of the History Channel, so...........................[/b][/quote]I'm not knocking the History Channel. I watch it too, and I'm 45. I like it. What I'm saying, is that every station has a "target" audience...in other words, a population segment that makes up a large percentage of viewing audience. For, say, Lifetime, it's primarily women. The History Channel is aiming for a predominantly older male audience. That's not to say everyone that watches it is going to be a part of that segment...but, that's how they target their advertising. Now, when you watch the History Channel, what sort of ads do you see? A lot of life insurance with good rates for older folks, and stuff that appeals to veterans. That's where they target their programming. That's where they target their commercials. Commercials keep it on the air. I watch Cartoon Network occasionally too, and I'm not a kid.[/b][/quote]I know, but thanks anyway

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, Modern Marvels is cool, but I think one of the best shows on there is Mail Call, and Conquest. If you haven't heard of Conquest then I would'nt be surprised. It is kinda like Mail Call, but they show different weapons and what period of time they were(Ok, so it sounds like Mail Call, hey, its still cool) Whats your favorite show on the History Channel? I think most people have said theirs, though.

[quote]Originally posted by aliengroover: [b]I LOVE the History Channel, and I suppose they're pretty accurate (I wasn't exactly at every event). Buuuut... Is it just me or is every other show about Hitler? I mean, my favorites are ones like the one they've been showing seemingly 'round the clock called "Hitler and the Occult", but sheesh. How 'bout a non-Hitler program week? Peace[/b][/quote]Drew Carey put a spin on that feeling. "But if there was no Hitler, there'd be no History Channel." Actually they're not that biased one way or the other. They just happen to repeat the easiest material to acquire and comprehend/enjoy. That's going to be mostly western material that doesn't rock the boat. I watch it a lot for entertainment but I haven't learned anything new in years. Now watch The Passionate Eye on CBC newsworld (if you could). That is some serious up to date and historical info from around the world.
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]Good intel is crucial in ANY battle. Knowing the intentions of your enemy, and denying knowledge about your intentions to them is incredibly important. But you can't always USE the intelligence, because doing so would reveal you're "reading their mail" and then they'll change their codes. The bombing of Coventry during WWII is a classic case in point. The Brits had knowledge of the impending attack by the Luftwaffle, but acting on that information would have jeopardised the whole Enigma program. Churchill was faced with the difficult choice of defending Coventry and risking letting the Nazi's know their codes were broken, or letting the Germans bomb Coventry and taking no more than a normal defensive response after the attack started (actually, just before it started, due to early warning systems - RADAR - the Brits had in place). Tough call, but IMO, Churchill made the right choice. Coventry was hammered, and many lives were lost, but more lives would have been lost if he had made the other choice and lost that intelligence source.[/b][/quote]I'm still kicking myself for losing the book The Ultra Secret, by the original security adminstrator who liaised with Churchill, F.W. Winterbotham. You know I'm telling the truth, who would make up a name like that? You'd love that book Phil. This was the officer who almost daily hand delivered the summations of broken messages to Churchill and humbly provided his interpretation when asked. He was on the side of keeping it as secret as possible, available to as few people as possible.
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [QBWe've kinda taken to calling it "The Hitler Channel" because it seems like a significant percentage of the time, you switch it on and there's ol' Adolf ranting like a maniac in front of thousands of SS troops. [/QB][/quote]Damn same thing my kids call it! :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Networks like History Channel and Discovery and The Learning Channel (TLC) don't necessarily produce their own shows. They might air a program that first appeared on BBC, PBS, or by some independant documentarian. Those shows certainly wouldn't represent any management point of view. Sometimes, they'll re-broadcast a show that's hosted by someone from the History Channel, but was still originally produced elsewhere. An individual show might have an agenda, such as the old series "The Men Who Killed Kennedy," which is obviously trying to prove that there was a conspiracy to kill JFK, but I don't think the History Channel has an agenda in airing it beyond the obvious desire for advertising revenue.

Here's a late reply you might find interesting (maybe). My cousin, due to my Aunt's requirement to keep multiple residencies in Detroit, Tennessee and Canada, would attend school for short spells in Quebec. In the Canadian schools, she was taught that the United States were GRANTED their independence from England. NOT fought for! So the earlier reply about history's bent differing from victor to defeated has some merit. And the comic strip "Arlo and Janis" once had Janis ask Arlo what he was watching on TV. "The History channel" he replied. "Learn anything?" she asked... "Yeah." said Arlo. "World War 2 was the only thing that happened." Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived