Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT:The History Channel

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think any representation of history is bound to be colored in some way. That said...both Hitler and Tojo were bastards and deserved the ass-kicking they took. Stalin was just as big a bastard...and that's one aspect that hasn't been covered as well. Of course, the arguments can go on and on. For instance, the Japanese (as well as the Germans) conducted horribly inhumane medical experiments in POW camps. That makes them the bad guys. But, after the war, many of our own military doctors snagged on to the results of those experiments, read and used them with great interest. As though they were too good to conduct such horrible atrocities themselves, but somehow it was okay to use the data obtained by such cruel methods. I will say that the History Channel reported that aspect of the situation, to their credit.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Nraki: [b]As a person from Japan living in the US, I can say the history channel isn't unfair. Don't worry. Enjoy it![/b][/quote]Yes, but what about other shows that cover history? like the discovery channel? hehe I do enjoy it, i wanted to know what people thought on this topic, thanks for your input! JDL, fsjb

History is ALWAYS written by the victors... If the Nazi's or Japanese had won, what do you think the HISTORY of WWII would be? Hitler would be revered as the greatest leader of all time!! And every school kid would "learn" the "truth" of that fact! :freak: ___ BTW, what was the most important thing the Allies did to win WWII? Codebreaking. We won the decisive Battle of Midway because of code breakers... and won the Battle of the Atlantic, (against the Wolf-pack subs), because of the code breakers. That's the REAL "revenge of the geeks!" guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Good intel is crucial in ANY battle. Knowing the intentions of your enemy, and denying knowledge about your intentions to them is incredibly important. But you can't always USE the intelligence, because doing so would reveal you're "reading their mail" and then they'll change their codes. The bombing of Coventry during WWII is a classic case in point. The Brits had knowledge of the impending attack by the Luftwaffle, but acting on that information would have jeopardised the whole Enigma program. Churchill was faced with the difficult choice of defending Coventry and risking letting the Nazi's know their codes were broken, or letting the Germans bomb Coventry and taking no more than a normal defensive response after the attack started (actually, just before it started, due to early warning systems - RADAR - the Brits had in place). Tough call, but IMO, Churchill made the right choice. Coventry was hammered, and many lives were lost, but more lives would have been lost if he had made the other choice and lost that intelligence source.

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]Good intel is crucial in ANY battle.[/b][/quote]And good ankles. Sir William Stephenson, "Intrepid," the head of Britain's intelligence service during WWII commented that the best codebreakers he had were women, and interestingly enough, those with nice legs were the best. When interviewing for new codebreakers, he always looked "...for a well-turned ankle." If you want to read a fascinating book, get "A Man Called Intrepid" by William Stevenson. (No relation.)
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I LOVE the History Channel, and I suppose they're pretty accurate (I wasn't exactly at every event). Buuuut... Is it just me or is every other show about Hitler? I mean, my favorites are ones like the one they've been showing seemingly 'round the clock called "Hitler and the Occult", but sheesh. How 'bout a non-Hitler program week? Peace
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

[quote]Originally posted by joegerardi: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]Good intel is crucial in ANY battle.[/b][/quote]And good ankles. William Stevenson, "Intrepid," the head of Britain's intelligence service during WWII commented that the best codebreakers he had were women, and interestingly enough, those with nice legs were the best. When interviewing for new codebreakers, he always looked "...for a well-turned ankle." If you want to read a fascinating book, get "A Man Called Intrepid" by Stevenson.[/b][/quote]Anybody who has ever tried to keep a secret from their wife can vouch for the authenticity of this statement.

It seems to me that whenever they do involve opinion, its from both points of view which I really enjoy. And whenever they have observational type themed shows, they never really give you an answer. They just leave it up to you. That makes for great conversation around the water cooler the next day.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

I love the History Channel, watch it all the time (right now infact). But I thought that they showed an extremely small amount of prejudice in one particular piece about Hitler. Now obviously, I'm no HItler fan, THC is not a Hitler fan, and its hard not to sound prejudiced when describing what he did, but the choice of words they used caught my ear. I don't remember the excact program or words, but that feeling stuck with me, which is the only time I have ever thought that of the History Channel. I'll forgive them though ;) , The History Channel is definatly the most accurate, unbiased, and informative station available and one of my favorites (Mail Call too).

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]hehehheee... where ya been? I've been in the hall of flames for ages now! :D [/b][/quote]Yep. Phillip is like ...really old! :freak: Phil went in to the hall with Babe Ruth! :D I've got a million of 'um. :p
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

guitplayer wrote: [quote]History is ALWAYS written by the victors...[/quote]How true. And there are at least three sides to every story. I dig the history channel, but I view the shows as I would read a book. I always try to find the other point of view as well. The truth can usually be found somewhere in the middle.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote]Originally posted by BNC: [b]I love the History Channel, watch it all the time (right now infact). But I thought that they showed an extremely small amount of prejudice in one particular piece about Hitler. Now obviously, I'm no HItler fan, THC is not a Hitler fan, and its hard not to sound prejudiced when describing what he did, but the choice of words they used caught my ear. I don't remember the excact program or words, but that feeling stuck with me, which is the only time I have ever thought that of the History Channel. I'll forgive them though ;) , The History Channel is definatly the most accurate, unbiased, and informative station available and one of my favorites (Mail Call too).[/b][/quote]We've kinda taken to calling it "The Hitler Channel" because it seems like a significant percentage of the time, you switch it on and there's ol' Adolf ranting like a maniac in front of thousands of SS troops. I think a big part of that is the audience they're aiming for, which is primarily men over the age of 50. Or maybe 60 (maybe older). I'd have to say vets are a prime audience for a lot of their shows. Yeah, I get a kick out of Ermey, too. YOU MAGGOTS! The funniest one was the promo ad where he was facing the camera, hollering as if it were a bunch of recruits, and then the camera goes back and it's his grandkids, and one of 'em says, "Grandpa, your hamburgers are burning"...

[quote]Originally posted by JDL: [b]So, do you think this channel does only one side of the story? [/b][/quote]:) Ah! Is the history you're being taught on the History Channel the full story??? Is it the truth? What about the history you learned in school? What are your kids learning in school about history? :confused: Are we being told the truth? Are we being manipulated by the powers that be to accept lies as truths? After all, if you are given false information about past events, wouldn't that tend to alter your attitude toward things in the present? :( Kind of scary when you think about what 'truth' is, and how you KNOW it's the 'truth'... Maybe we're all pawns in a big conspiracy??? :eek: Well lucky for you there are people out there want you to know THE FACTS! But beware... Once you uncover the TRUTH, you may find yourself getting strange phone calls at night that hang up, or notice you're being followed around by men in suits and dark sunglasses who always seem to be talking to their ice-cream cone or chilidog. So choose wisely... :wave: [b]OR[/b] :mad: you can take the step into a new reality and learn things like the [url=http://www4.stormfront.org/revision/questions.html]truths about WWII that you would never have guessed at...[/url] And did you STILL think your precious world was round??? [url=http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/FlatWhyFlat.htm]Think again...[/url] Feeling light-headed yet? Well have you ever REALLY asked yourself how giant that "leap for mankind" was? [url=http://www.moontruth.com/]Maybe it wasn\'t as far as you have been told...Hmmmm?[/url] [i]Eh... Well, I suppose I should insert a little disclaimer that I'm not advocating any of the views above. My real intentions were to poke some fun at conspiracy theories, and also to speculate on the disturbing notion of 'what is we really have been lied to???' All done in good fun of course...[/i]

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

THANKS SUPER 8 FOR THAT AMUSING SITE(Moon truth.com) That's sooooooooooooo funny(seriously) Hey, is it a crime if people actually agree on a topic? Anyways, yes I love the Mail Call show and the Conquest show. That was on yesterday(Conquest) and it was awesome! They showed the "weird" weapons of olden times! Hey! I'm not old! Defenitly not 50 or 60 and I still watch it! I haven't seen THAT much of Hitler on the History Channel. Man, stop blowing it out of proportion guys. I love all the shows where they explain in detail all of the weapons. And the Osbournes watch alot of the History Channel, so...........................

[quote]Originally posted by JDL: [b]I haven't seen THAT much of Hitler on the History Channel. Man, stop blowing it out of proportion guys. [/b][/quote]No, I tend to watch the History Channel almost exclusively and for awhile I was starting to wonder if anything interesting or relevent had happend before WWII. It really seem to depend on when you tune in, and the seasonal changes. They DO have other stuff -I can testify to that!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by JDL: [b]THANKS SUPER 8 FOR THAT AMUSING SITE(Moon truth.com) That's sooooooooooooo funny(seriously) Hey, is it a crime if people actually agree on a topic? Anyways, yes I love the Mail Call show and the Conquest show. That was on yesterday(Conquest) and it was awesome! They showed the "weird" weapons of olden times! Hey! I'm not old! Defenitly not 50 or 60 and I still watch it! I haven't seen THAT much of Hitler on the History Channel. Man, stop blowing it out of proportion guys. I love all the shows where they explain in detail all of the weapons. And the Osbournes watch alot of the History Channel, so...........................[/b][/quote]I'm not knocking the History Channel. I watch it too, and I'm 45. I like it. What I'm saying, is that every station has a "target" audience...in other words, a population segment that makes up a large percentage of viewing audience. For, say, Lifetime, it's primarily women. The History Channel is aiming for a predominantly older male audience. That's not to say everyone that watches it is going to be a part of that segment...but, that's how they target their advertising. Now, when you watch the History Channel, what sort of ads do you see? A lot of life insurance with good rates for older folks, and stuff that appeals to veterans. That's where they target their programming. That's where they target their commercials. Commercials keep it on the air. I watch Cartoon Network occasionally too, and I'm not a kid.

Archived