Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heyo...I want to start making my own XLR cables....just looking for recommendation on what cable has a good reputation...I'm dead set on Neutrik connectors.

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Soundcrafter: [b]Heyo...I want to start making my own XLR cables....just looking for recommendation on what cable has a good reputation...I'm dead set on Neutrik connectors.[/b][/quote]Lots to choose from [url=http://www.partsexpress.com/?AID=1457536&PID=975083]here[/url] . You will get many opinions on cable, but IMO any good quality (don't go for the cheapest you can get) cable will give you good results.
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by Hank The Cave Peanut: [b]Musician's Friend has 20 ft XLR cables for $2.99 each... At that price, it doesn't make sense to build your own. I've bought a bunch of them and they've worked fine in my studio so far... Hope this info is helpful...[/b][/quote]I bought 15 of these a couple of monthes ago. No problems so far. :thu:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

Canare, Belden, and Mogami are all great cable manufacturers. Go for 22 ga, not 24. Neutriks are often a bit less than Switchcraft, however my experinece is Switchcraft is a bit more durable. All that being said, you can most often buy them already made using these same manufacturers cheaper than you can make em yourself. Shop around. Also, if you do make your own, get a good cable tester (not a multimeter, where you can unintentionally not check phase properly) but one that has XLR connectors to check both continuity and Phase. Whurlwind makes a decent one for around $50. Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Thanks...yep, I saw the whirlwind testers and intend to get one (or two)...I was looking at Mogami, thanks for the reassurance of their quality. I'm now looking at the links, so thanks everyone for the help! :D

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

ok flame on but......... mogami mic cable is not the most durable stuff. It has a spiral shield, which after repeated flexing can move off to one side under the jacket. Which negates it's RF rejection. It does have lower capacitence, which is important for long runs, say 50 feet or more. IMHO canare star quad is best for mic cables. briaded shield that is more of a bitch to prepare but worth the effort. for outboard instal I think mogami is the way to go. or belden 8451 (foil shield) anything that isn't going to be flexed a lot is great for mogami. I also use redco TGS wire for small studio installs, It is a mogami clone (but cheap) and comes in multi-pairs too for bays and stuff like that. [url=http://www.redco.com]www.redco.com[/url]
theo

Archived