Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi-OT: New computer for work, any thoughts?

I need a new computer for work. The organisation I work for will only pay for a windows computer (and I am not going to pay for this one myself - like I did with the last one, a Mac). There is also a cost limit (not a given amount, "reasonable" is the key-word). This thing has to last 3 years minimum. What will I use this computer for? - Basic office tasks (word processing, spreadsheets, communication etc.) - Posters, flyers etc (Page Maker, InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator) - Presentations (Power Point. BTW are there any better presentation softwares available?) I also hope to be able to run some audio editing software (Wavelab or similar) As this will be my only computer at the office (+ I do travel to some extent), I have decided to get a Laptop with a fairly large screen. Ethernet, DVD/CDRW and USB is also required, I want the keyboard to have full-size keys that also must have a good "feel". After some basic research, remember that I'm a Mac-guy and not a Jedi on this PC-stuff (yet), I have decided for a particular laptop. Compaq Evo N1020V P4 1800 Cache 512 kB ATI Radeon IGP 340M 30 gig HD 256 MB DDR SDRAM (max 1024 MB)(I know, will add more later, on another bill ;) ) 15" TFT XGA ATI UMA 4XAGP, 64 MB Windows XPP 8X DVD + CDRW Floppy Drive Full sized keyboard Track pad Intel LAN on motherboard 10/100 Mini PCI V90 Modem, 56kbit 2 USB ports Firewire port Paralell port VGA port S-video port PC-card slot MultiPort (what is that?) 8 cell Li-ion battery (1 included, room for 2) Stereo speakers (JBL, dammit. I bet they sound just like my Westlakes!) Headphone out Microphone in This thing cost a lot less than many laptops with similar specs. Please tell me if I should look elsewhere, the order can still be cancelled/changed. /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm thinking that's a pretty good computer, but Compaq in a properitary company (I think). We used to have all Compaq's in our office, but have shifted to Dell because of upgrade issues and availability and price. Just my thoughts, hope you like what you buy...
I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

[quote]Originally posted by Mats_Olsson: [b]Anyone?[/b][/quote]Well, if you need it to last 4 years, I'd look at Toshibas. They have about the longest platform life-cycle in the industry. You might pay a bit more and you probably won't get the absolute latest features but you'll probably be much more likely to find upgrades and peripherals available to you 2 or 3 years out. The typical laptop life-cycle is about six months. The Toshiba Tecra platform is generally good for about three years.

The only exceptions that really jump out at me are the CPU: I would go with an AMD in that range for less $$ and faster performance. If you are keeping the system under the 2-3 mHz performance window I would go with a AMD AthlonXP in the 1800-2200XP range. 2200XP if you can. I would use the ASUS boards with the nVidia chipset in that instance. The other exception is the Video card. Since you seem to be interested in using this system for visual pres I would scrap the Radon and go with an nVidia GeTi4200 as it is a great card for video rendering. My $.02 - DJDM

There was an almost identical machine (Compaq Evo 1005) that had AMD 1800 processor that I tried to buy, but this particular model went ot of stock end of last week and will be discontinued. No replacement announced yet... Bummer because that one was more than $250 less. If I want to have the 1020 modified (aka made to order) it will cost a lot more. I checked with Dell, a similarily spec:ed laptop cost much more. I will check out Toshiba tomorrow, the shop carries several brands. /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

IMHO, Compaqs suck. I haven't used their laptops, but almost all of their tower & rackmount units I've seen have been kinda crappy, with a lot of technical issues. Also - if you want to be happy with XP, (if that's possible...) spec yourself some extra RAM up front. 256 MB is the recommended minimum for XP, and you REALLY want to have more.

[quote]Originally posted by randy clay: [b]I'm thinking that's a pretty good computer, but Compaq in a properitary company (I think). We used to have all Compaq's in our office, but have shifted to Dell because of upgrade issues and availability and price. Just my thoughts, hope you like what you buy...[/b][/quote]I would agree somewhat. I'm sorry, I've been out of the laptop business for over a year now so my memory is fading - but almost all laptops are contract built by only a couple of manufacturers in S.E. Asia - either Taiwan or South Korea. The exceptions are 1 or 2 models of IBM and the Toshiba Tecra/Portege series; both of which are US built. If a four-year life is important, I would look at corporate standard models rather than consumer grade. You'll find that the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) over the long run is actually less. These are the best supported and have the longest life/durability combination. Again, I think that the Toshiba Tecra is about the best machine out there or the Satellite Pro series at a minimum. Either can be had pretty loaded up for under $2K US. My 2 cents.

Compaqs aren't as proprietary as they used to be but some of their stuff still is. For business servers, Compaqs are good but I wouldn't use them for desktops. I have no experience with their laptops. I would recommend Dell laptops. Dell in general has good tech support. I would also recommend Toshiba which is perennially highly rated laptops. I've seen good laptops from Gateway but I haven't had as much experience with them. We started buying Sony VAIOs b/c people like them for their smaller size which isn't what you're really looking for but I'd recommend them, too. Whatever you buy, you should also look into getting a docking station for your laptop. This will make transitioning to and from your office a bit easier. The type that you can slide the laptop in tends to be the most convenient.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Archived