Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Listened to the HD580s this weekend. Am I missing something?

I checked all the forum discussions on headphones which included Beyer Dynamic, Sennheiser, AKG etc. so I listened to the HD600s and HD580s, which came highly recommended. They sounded hyped in the highs and kinda harsh to me. Things sounded up front, but they fatiqued my ears quickly. I then tried a number of other headsets, including the Sony MDRV700s. Am I missing something? The Sonys had much better imaging, easier to listen to. They just seemed more balanced to me. Again, am I missing something? The Sonys don't appear to be that popular (at least not on these forums. comments?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still stick to my sony 7506 cans. I guess it just what you get used to. I know they are a little hyped in the bottom but I dont get fatigued like on the supposedly more flat cans.
theo

[quote]Originally posted by theom: [b]I still stick to my sony 7506 cans. I guess it just what you get used to. I know they are a little hyped in the bottom but I dont get fatigued like on the supposedly more flat cans.[/b][/quote]Ditto for me on the 7506's. However, I'd say that they extend well in to the bass region - not that they are hyped. Also, these are very popular cans that you are likely to run into in a broad range of professional and home environments. Kinda like the NS10's in that regard.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

IMO I didn't find the bass in the Sonys to be hyped at all. The extension was quite natural and very balanced. I just found the Senns lacking in the bass and way to much high.(compared to the Sonys) I'm new to the Semi Pro DAW thing, but I've been around and I trust my ears. I'm not sure a NS10 comparison is appropriate. I thought you guys used the NS10s for translation on the "common man's" system. I didn't get the impression that the NS10s were used for their sonic value. In contrast, the MDRV700s sounded very impressive sonically. I'm not ruling out any of the headphones yet, but my listening results, so far, have been suprising. Comments?

[quote]Originally posted by Infusion: [b]IMO I didn't find the bass in the Sonys to be hyped at all. The extension was quite natural and very balanced. I just found the Senns lacking in the bass and way to much high.(compared to the Sonys) I'm new to the Semi Pro DAW thing, but I've been around and I trust my ears. I'm not sure a NS10 comparison is appropriate. I thought you guys used the NS10s for translation on the "common man's" system. I didn't get the impression that the NS10s were used for their sonic value. In contrast, the MDRV700s sounded very impressive sonically. I'm not ruling out any of the headphones yet, but my listening results, so far, have been suprising. Comments?[/b][/quote]Infusion, I only meant that the 7506's are found in many locations. - So, like the NS10's, they are a sort of standared in that regard. This is what they have in commmon. I agree with your point re: sonics.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

ONLY SONY!!! :D Well, I stick to my HD580's Never heard better cans.
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

I was a big supporter of the AKG 240s until I tried the Beyer Dynamic DT990s. I love them. Very full sounding, comfortable to wear and honest. Headphones are like monitors, get a pair and get used to them. It takes a while but after some time you adjust to each. You have to make an initial investment in several pairs and then decide. I also use the 7506s and they are nice but my desert island pair are the DT990s. Peace, Ernest

I forgot to mention that YES the Sennheisers are a litte thin sounding and bright. They do lack in the low end. I use the HD 280s for tracking. I`m not big into brightness so they help me steer away from that. Also when mixing, I use them to establish the level of the lead vocals or lead instrument. They are very present and when it sounds right in them it is mostly right on where I want them. Peace, Ernest

I read all those threads, too. And, I went and bought a pair of HD600's from the many good reports. I also dug up some links to articles about the HD600s & HD580s that made them to seem stellar on $5000 headphone amps. But, I am not sure about how much I like them, now. The first time I used them to track, it was a piano. I had an LD on the lows and a SD on the high strings, and an X/Y pair out for the room image. I made a great mix with them, only listen back at home to hear an obvious EQ crossover mistake between the LD & SD pair. Ease to fix on the monitors, but totally missing on the HD600s. You'd think I could track down an overlap at 800Hz with them, but something was amiss...

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

If you have a chance...give the Fostex T-50RP model a listen. This is their top-of -the line...but the T-20RP and T-40RP models are also very good. The T-50RP has no hype that I could notice...very smooth and easy to listen to and because they are so uncolored...you may find yourself tuning them up a bit more than others...because they don't have any harshness or peaks at any range. Also very light and comfortable on your head…they don’t clamp your ears down. You can get 'em for $100 at Musicians Friend...and probably elsewhere. I think they are the best kept new secret of headphone models...of course, they may not fill the bill for "name dropping" aficionados! :p

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I got an HD 600, too, because of the favorable reviews. I don't have much to compare them to but I wasn't getting the details I was reading others were. OTOH, I don't have a good heaphone amp so maybe that's why. I'm just using them right now with the headphone outs of the Digi001.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

Sony's, AKG's and Fostex cans here. I like the Fostex T-20's for general listening - they "fit" very comfortably. The Sony's isolate better, so they get used for tracking more often than the others. I honestly don't mix on cans, other than the occasional "check" to see what a specific mix trick is going to sound like to the "headsets" crowd. Their main purpose around here is strictly for tracking, so just about any fairly good sounding set of cans will do as long as they're comfortable and isolate well, which the Sony's do just fine.

Archived