Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is the difference between....

part1sts

Kurzweil SP88X, Kurzweil PC1X, and the PC2X. Disregarding the price, what are the pros and cons for each of the instruments. And which ones are more practical for the studio or live and maybe even both. Would you recommend getting any of them from sweetwater?
Together we stand, Divided we fall.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SP88X has an older sound engine. I think the pianos are some kind of revamp of the sample set they used on the old MicroPiano, but I could be wrong.

The PC2x is the best of the three. It has the newer triple-strike piano, plus plenty of other very clean-sounding samples. The KDFX-derived effects also add a lot to the overall sound quality.

The PC1x has the same sounds of the PC2x, but the keyboard is not really weighted... it has some kind of semi-weighting. I think the effects are different too.

On top of what Marino said, I would add that the PC1X offers many (but not all) great sounds from the PC2X at a better price. But you end up with a lot less modifiable parameters. So if you like the patches as they are, maybe go for the PC1X. Otherwise if you are more a programmer, choose the PC2X.

Although I could find a much better price in Canada than what they could give me, I like Sweetwater service a lot. They are true professionals and you'll get good help in case of a problem.

Both instruments are excellent for stage or studio. IMHO, the Kurzweil sounds are still the standard to equal for many manufacturers. I didn't like the new piano at first "hear", but after a while, some tricks and a certain PC2 manager software, I discovered you can get a lot programming possibilities not even directly available through the PC2X interface to get even better sounds and control.

The new acoustic piano, orchestral sounds and vintage keys (check for the PC2XL package if you are interested) are excellent, extremely realistic and clean. The B3 emulation is less great, but very acceptable after some tricks. :)

I'm a satisfied PC2X owner, purchased from Sweetwater, again no complaints. There are lots of little differences between the PC2 and PC1, generally coming down to the PC2 having "a little more." For example, the PC2 has inputs for three switching pedals, whereas the PC1 only has inputs for two. This can make a difference if, like me, you like to program the pedals to carry out a wide variety of tasks (ranging from switching the leslie effect to jumping between programs).

Larry.

Archived