Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: MP3's

Erlic

For those of you who download MP3's from a premium site (Napster, etc) which of the sites out there would you strongly recommend? There are many times when buying the full CD is really not worth the effort, and downloading an MP3 (although I'd prefer downloading a wav. file instead), would be much more convenient, especially if I needed only one or two songs.

Don't know if this info is necessary, but I work with a Windows environment.

Any suggestions, and thanks in advance. :)

Erlic

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just signed up for Yahoo music and it bites the big one. They dont tell you until after you paid your money that all the tunes downloaded have to be played on their software. Their software hangs my machine. It also doesn't let you burn the tunes to a CD.

I am trying to get a refund but they have no live customer support. The most you can do is send them an email.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

I like buying songs from iTunes. They seem to have the biggest selection. I've been subcribing to MusicNet for a couple of years now. The way I work it is, I pay the $9/mo for MusicNet and get to hear whole songs and albums (as opposed to clips), and what I like, I buy from iTunes. I've also tried Rhapsody. I've had an "extended" trial and an unwanted partial sub to them for a few months now (I missed the deadline by a day to end my sub, so they're letting me keep the sub for the whole quarter, though I paid for a month...that was nice of them). It's cool, they also let you hear whole songs, but they just don't have that big of a selection, IMO. It's very rare that iTunes doesn't have something I want. Overall, too, iTunes is just a great program to have on your comp, even if you're not buying songs from the store.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

If you're paying for downloads man, it's just not worth it through most places. It usually comes down to this.

$9.99 for Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscapes on I-tunes

$5 at a used CD store

$6 (including shipping) from Amazon.com

Oh, I'll start a thread later with some clips, but you all have to hear Sigh. Japanese eclectic metal. They have some really amazing keyboard stuff, and not just shredding. Anyway, I'll save all that for the appropriate thread, lol.

In summary, I can get most things cheaper on Amazon, and with better selection (I-tunes lets me down hardcore), plus, I get the CD, which if I really want on my I-Pod, I can rip down to MP3.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

I'm not going to download if I can buy the CD. Putting up with the restrictions of the download services is a hassle.

If I want to buy some music, my first choice is to order the CD from Amazon.com. If I want one particular tune, I'll download it from wal-mart.com since it's 88 cents instead of iTunes' 99 cents.

I don't subscribe to a music service because I've already got one available with my cable TV subscription. If I want to capture this music, I can connect from the TV cable box to my minidisc recorder. That, too, is a hassle, but it works.

For day-to-day listening, I often turn on the radio. There are two college jazz stations in the area that feature straight-ahead jazz and keep me up-to-date on new artists & new music, as well as area concerts. I don't listen to commercial stations much any more. Too much repetition and too many commercials keep me away.

I've ripped all of my CDs to WMA @ 160kBps and use my iRiver flash player to listen to them.

Now if I can find the time... :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Based on past history with Wallmart, I-tunes, Allofmp3, etc., which do you believe has the broadest line of music? I'd specify one type of genre, but I basically listen to everything.

So far, I looked into Wallmart, and am about to check out Itunes, before continuing with the rest of the suggestions. :thu:

Erlic

Thanks to everyone for their help and their suggestions. I'll keep investigating during the week, and eventually choose one, possibly two depending on what they have available for downloads. :thu:

Erlic

iTunes and MSN Music both suffer from the same things:

1. Some songs are only downloadable if you buy the whole album. Yeah, the whole album's cheaper than the whole CD, but when I go on my 30-song shopping sprees, I don't want to pay 4x as much because I have to get whole albums.

2. Like a music store, the 95% of the selection is in the most-popular categories. I don't expect them to have everything, but being able to find some obscure out-of-print stuff would be nice.

3. MSN Music plays games with licensing. I've bought 25 tunes from them ... from them ... and when I go to play them, I have to download something that proves it's "mine" (despite the fact that it's in my download history).

(Now I'm just being picky:)

4. Both need more classical music, jazz, avant-garde, foreign music, etc.

5. "Electronic" is way too broad a category. It doesn't have to be Ishkur's Guide or anything, but some simple sub-divisions in House, Trance, DnB, TripHop, etc. would be nice.

6. "People who bought this also bought ..." Does anyone use this? Most of the time I look at the list and think I'm sharing a song with people with poor taste.

7. I'd like some more IMDB-ish cross-referencing of side-men, producers, etc.

8. I hate the way they categorize DJ mixes. The DJ should be under the Artist heading, and the tune's writers/producers should go under the Composer's heading. Minor nit-pick, I know ...

9. I'd like to see an "iVideo" where you could pay like $1.99-2.99 for the song and the music video, too ... y'know since you have to have ultra-premium break-the-bank cable TV package to get a single music channel that actually shows videos anymore ...

ClaviaMech

info@nordusa.com

Nord USA

What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially.

-- Ayn Rand, Philosophy: Who Needs It

Claviamech, I gotta agree with you big on that one. Electronic's category is just as bad as Metal's. Being a fan of both, I get really frustrated.

Aphex Twin and Wolf Eyes should not be in the same category as Barbie Young and DJ Sammy

Dark Tranquility and Children of Bodom should not be in the same category as Hatebreed and Cinderella.

IMDB cross referencing would be excellent.

--

Internet music sellers have this amazing opportunity to find and let us buy out of print hard to find music, and let us down. I can get the new Gorillaz CD for $10 at Best Buy opening day, but I can't get old Savatage. That's where I'd turn straight to internet music, and what I turned to it for, and was let down. I dunno, just seems like that'd be where they could make some money, or at least make some people happy, lol.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

What's the deal about iTunes and Beatles?

I know that when Apple Computer first became a company, they were allowed by Apple Music to use the name only if they stayed out of the music business entirely (might even have been the media business). Seemed like a reasonable compromise at the time. Times have changed since then, though!

I find the rights management stuff a hassle. It annoys me that each time I'm going to reload my machine or upgrade, there's yet ANOTHER list of things I have to do to get back to where I was (other than backup & restore). So, I use TotalRecorder to convert files to WAVE format & then convert to WMA or whatever. I realize this is a violation of the user agreement, but I keep my collection private and adhere to the spirit of the agreement. I keep at most 3 copies, one on my laptop, one in backups, and one on CD for listening in the car.

It's a hassle to have to use TotalRecorder, since it works in real time -- you have to listen to the whole song to convert it. (It just records whatever goes to your soundcard.) As a result, I don't use iTunes very often -- just for stuff where I know I won't want the album.

Some day it'll be nice to have all this work more seamlessly somehow, but for now I like having a hardware original (a CD). If I was in a top 40 band, though, I'd probably feel otherwise.

Originally posted by learjeff:

What's the deal about iTunes and Beatles?

I know that when Apple Computer first became a company, they were allowed by Apple Music to use the name only if they stayed out of the music business entirely (might even have been the media business). Seemed like a reasonable compromise at the time. Times have changed since then, though!

You've hit the nail on the head, except that in the last year or so, Apple Records has again taken Apple Computer to court over iTunes and the iPod (I also wonder if they are considering throwing Logic and GarageBand into that suit too).
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

So, first I said:

9. I'd like to see an "iVideo" where you could pay like $1.99-2.99 for the song and the music video, too ... y'know since you have to have ultra-premium break-the-bank cable TV package to get a single music channel that actually shows videos anymore ...
Then I saw:

http://images.apple.com/itunes/home/images/homeitunestitle20051012.gif

http://images.apple.com/itunes/home/images/homeitunesvideos20051012.jpg

Shop for them 24-7. Watch them at home. Take them on the road. Buy high-quality, ad-free music videos and TV shows for just $1.99, sync them to the new iPod and go.

Quoth the Keanu: "Whoa ..."

So now I'm adding:

10. Not to be too nitpicky, but I'd also enjoy becoming a behind-the-curtains endorser for Apple, having complete access to all their hardware and software products on a complementary basis, in exchange for my "regular Joe" endorsement.

11. And, if the Florida lottery can find it in its heart to accommodate me, I'd be ever so grateful ... :wave:

ClaviaMech

info@nordusa.com

Nord USA

What objectivity and the study of philosophy requires is not an 'open mind,' but an active mind - a mind able and eagerly willing to examine ideas, but to examine them criticially.

-- Ayn Rand, Philosophy: Who Needs It

There's always the option of downloading LEGAL, artist-approved non-lossy archives of live shows, usually via bittorrent and a tracker which ensures the legitimacy of the downloads. I was surprised to see how many things of interest were out there to the keyboard player.

Archived