Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A Question about the Alesis HD6

Mark Hovoc

I've e-mailed them, but they never got back to me. The only thing I want to know is if I get the keyboard and I then get chicken systems tranlator, could I convert all my gigastudio libraries into the keyboard and use it with no latency streaming off the 40 gig hard drive?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That doesn't seem to be a capability they're claiming. Samples have to be in the memory to be played. But you get to decide what pre-loads into the memory, and which of the sounds stored in the drive is in memory - you can store far more than you can have traditional instant access to.

I can't find any reference to realtime disk streaming in any of the official information at Alesis.com or fusionsynth.com.

Can I ask where you got the impression that this capability was part of the Fusion's feature list?

Technical Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

I never got the impression. I just think that would be the way keyboards are heading, to be software and stream off the hard drive instead of using all ram. So when I saw the alesis, I jumped to the conclusion in my head. It would be great.

It would be great, I agree. And I remember the subject coming up at the interview I did with the design team for the Feb. 05 issue. It seemed that it had been discussed before that time, and I got the impression that they were at least exploring the idea, though I have no idea if it's actually on an official to-do list regarding Fusion's future. After having talked with those guys, I'd bet money that if there was a way they could do it well, they would do it. If they don't do it, it means that the commercial realities of the keyboard (size, price, componentry, all interrelated) prevent disk streaming from being viable. No engineering department wants to put half-assed features out there, regardless of how badly the marketing department might want the features in question.

Short answer - if the architecture will support the kind of implementation they themselves would like to buy, I think they'll do it. If not, they'll drop it like a hot potato and focus on other ideas.

Technical Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

Archived