Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cnegrad - Ever heard Cedar Walton?

ITGITC

Mark,

BJ Hudson was playing "On Green Dolphin Street" this morning on WNCU. LINK HERE Do you still listen via FM or RealPlayer stream from their website?

The pianist's name is Cedar Walton. His CD is Underground Memoirs. He does some Miles' standards on it.

HERE\'S THE LINK

Listen to samples on Amazon.Com...

CLONK HERE.

Good, good stuff. :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He used to play for The Jazz Messengers as well. Astonishing player with tastefull playin' - one more form the great "Ar Blakey pianists" tradition (Bobby Timmons and so on)

regards

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

When I was about 10 (like around 1962 maybe), my brother brought home a new Jazz Messengers album called "Mosaic" with Cedar Walton playing on it. That was the day I fell in love with jazz (I still have the LP). Cedar Walton has always been a hero, and a couple of years ago, I was in the front row of a small room in Cape May, NJ where he played. I got a chance to talk with him after and get his autograph. It was a moment (for me, at least).

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

I studied with the guy 15 years ago. He's a great player and teacher but I never enjoyed listening to his solos much.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Originally posted by Jazz+:

I studied with the guy 15 years ago. He's a great player and teacher but I never enjoyed listening to his solos much.

I find this very interesting.

Can you expound on that statement, Jazz+? What was it about his solos that you don't like.

Stop me before I purchase this album - I like the snippets I've heard from Amazon.com and what I heard on the radio this morning. Tell me what you hear (and don't like) that I'm missing.

Thanks,

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

He is a master and I like some of the solos on his early recordings, but when I go hear him live now days or on the radio I am not excited by his melodic improvisations. They sound melodicly dispassionate to me. It's probaly just me... I prefer the solos of Keith Jarrett & Trio, Bill Evans, Herbie Hancock, Bill Charlap, etc.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I first heard Cedar Walton in concert in the '80s, a trio with Buster Williams and Billy Higgins. He was relaxed and played a whole lot of good music.

Last time I've heard Cedar was about 1998 in Los Angeles. He played open-doors for a Billy Higgins celebration concert, and played really well.

I absolutely love his early records with the group Eastern Rebellion, especially with Bob Berg on sax. Billy Higgins on drums also contributed a lot to the sound of that group.

Cedar's "Fantasy in D" (also known as "Ugetsu") was one of the very first jazz pieces that I learned and arranged for a group. I just love his tunes! :)

I think Cedar is at his best in the context of his trio. When it comes to balance, pianistic color, and swing, Cedar's trio is one of the best ever. I've not heard him push the envelope much, but he never fails to deliver.

Ernie Rideout, Private Citizen

Gee, that was quick.

I think Cedar Walton is a really nice player. Marino is right, there's a relaxed quality to his playing; he makes everything seem easy. I have kind of a funny story about him too, but, while it's nothing bad, it would seem somehow like telling tales out of school to post it. I'm new here; I think I won't. I'll look for his Maybeck disc though. That I'd like to hear.

Tom,

Wow, I'd forgotten about CW; I haven't listened to him since my Berklee days. I remember listening to a lot of the stuff he did with Bob Berg; the Eastern Rebellion stuff. Thanks for the reminder; time to refresh my memory!

Now that I've played it a million times, I love jamming on his tune "Firm Roots," though I remember it being a really tricky song to get comfy with. I learned it in high school and had a hell of a time nailing those off-beat hits for the first 500,000 times through...

Michael Gallant, Associate Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard magazine than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

• 2 years later...
"Bolivia" is one of my favorite jazz tunes!

One of mine too!

Ugestu, another of one of his tunes, uses the same harmonic movement in places. Even the same key.

Boliva: Ab7b5 // G maj. 7 // C#m7 b5 F#7 // Bm7 // Cmaj7 +11//

Ugetsu: Ab13 b5 // G maj. 7 // C#m7 b5 F#7 // Bm7 // C7 +11//

Both great tunes.

That's strange....after hitting submit, the screen went blue saying "Done", no "We'll now return you to your regular scheduled programming".

I then went to refresh to see if it posted and it wasn't there, so

I hit submit again. I think the system saw how old the thread was and freaked out!

Oh well...at least I never miss a repeat sign on a chart.

Now the Coda, that's a whole other story.

Have you guys heard the Horace Silver show that Christian Mc Bride put on? Cedar was "Horace" and he is simply awesome. I loved his solo of "senor blues."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91687982

Cedar has so many great songs - Higgin's Holler, etc.....awesome!!

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

My experience of Cedar actually came through the UK jazz dance scene of the 80s-90s.. The track Latin America from his "Soundscapes" LP (1980) is a big favourite with the dancers... Bob Berg, Buddy Williams, Tony Dumas, et al great stuff...(long out of print...search that on your fav jazz mp3 blog)

I also checked out his earlier albums and also the CTI classic "Olinga" he did with Milt Jackson where he manned the rhodes...

I also checked out his earlier albums and also the CTI classic "Olinga" he did with Milt Jackson where he manned the rhodes...

Check out Milt Jackson's "The Prophet Speaks" with Cedar and Joshua Redman - great recording.

I know I had several LPs featuring him that I gave away. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to pick him out of musical lineup.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Cedar is a consistently great piano player. He's similar to Hank Jones in that he makes it sound SO easy that you don't realize how hard it really is. That's why he doesn't have a particularly 'exciting' impression on a lot of folks.

His playing in combination with his writing skills is what really sets him apart from the crowd. If he were just a player we probably wouldn't be paying much attention to him.

Just my $0.02.

Archived