Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best for bread and butter...

Marillo

Hi guys, just after a bit of advice.

I own a Roland RS-70 which I play through a Studiologic 76-note controller.

I play rock and pop covers in a live situation, and just need much-improved basic sounds with an intuitive interface (no need for editing).

So: decent acoustic pianos, strings, some brass.

Organs I have covered with an Oberheim OB2.

Bearing in mind I already have the controller so modules ARE an option - what do you recommend?

Cheers fellas.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1- Yamaha Motif ES rack

2- Fantom XR

3- Kurzweil PC2R

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Marillion,

sorry for being so concise, but I was in a hurry.

Yes, the non-piano sounds are WAY better in the Motif rack, compared with the 300 SX, and the same applies for the other two modules.

I have already the ES rack and the Fantom XR and love them, for different reasons: I think that they complement well each other.

I am planning to buy a PC2R in the future, both to broaden my sonic palette and also to gain credits with my friend Tom (a.k.a. "Is there gas in the car?") ;)

Feel free to ask more specific questions about the Motif and the Fantom, if you wish. :)

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by Dreamer:

I am planning to buy a PC2R in the future, both to broaden my sonic palette and also to gain credits with my friend Tom (a.k.a. "Is there gas in the car?") ;)

An Italian buying a Kurzweil! :eek: The PrOmEgAdUdE is speechless. Sometimes I think the world would be a better place if we all just traded places. :idea:;):thu:
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Come on over any time you want, Sue... ;)

BTW... before I start thinking about your proposal ... how are the latest news about your bears? :confused:

Originally posted by Dreamer:

BTW... before I start thinking about your proposal ... how are the latest news about your bears? :confused:

LOL. It depends who you're talking to. There are a lot of hunting enthusiasts up in arms, also a lot of nature enthusiasts to remind you that statistically the threat is insignificant. Only 500 or so bear-related deaths in NA over the past 100 years. I personally haven't seen a bear up my tree or looking in the front window, but I'm one of the lucky ones. :eek:

Hey, I just noticed the "R" in the PC2R. Pardon me, I assumed you were talking about the purple monster. :D

Hi Tom :wave:

Hey, Sue, don't let anyone kill bears. They are wonderful animals, very intelligent and only attack when they have no choice. Except grizzlys, but you don't have them in Ontario.

There's always a reason why there come around, usually because they found a great lunch place. Probably a neighbor leaves food or garbage outside and they never refuse an invitation. :)

See how cute and useful they can be. In Québec, we have the white ones. They make great guardians. And when I forget to turn on the alarm in my car, I don't fear anyone will steal it. ;)

Sorry for the thread highjacking. :freak:

Originally posted by gangsu:

Pardon me, I assumed you were talking about the purple monster. :D

Hi Tom :wave:

Sue, whenever you start talking about the 'purple monster', the editors of Keyboard Magazine draw a quick breath in horror at what you'll say next.

Now *I* know that you're referring to the Kurzweil PC2X keyboard (the early ones). However, some noobie may stumble upon this thread and think that you are talking about... well... You know. :eek:

So many people get to talking about this subject and, unfortunately, they tend to use exaggerations in their descriptions. I won't go there.

Nevertheless, I simply wanted to set the record straight.

Tom

PS "one inch equals one mile." ;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hi Dreamer, thanks for your advice on this. I do have a few questions, as Iwould only be able to afford ONE of either the Fantom or Motif modules.

*How does each one fare in terms of pianos/strings/brass. I'm guessing the Yamaha would have the better pianos/clavs etc?

*How easy is it to create splits/layers, and to access them in live situations? I very often do a lot of patch changing mid-song.

*Would the old Motif module still be an improvement on the Roland RS-70 (the piano's are terrible)..

Thanks again in advance...

Hi Dreamer, thanks for your advice on this. I do have a few questions, as Iwould only be able to afford ONE of either the Fantom or Motif modules.

*How does each one fare in terms of pianos/strings/brass. I'm guessing the Yamaha would have the better pianos/clavs etc?

*How easy is it to create splits/layers, and to access them in live situations? I very often do a lot of patch changing mid-song.

*Would the old Motif module still be an improvement on the Roland RS-70 (the piano's are terrible)..

Thanks again in advance...

Marillion,

as always it's very subjective:

- Pianos: I prefer the Fantom, considering that you have also six expansion slots for SRX cards and SRX # 11 is dedicated entirely to a Steinway multisample (64 Mb, with 4 layers for each one of the 88 notes) :cool:

- Strings: Motif strings have a more "airy" quality, while those in the Fantom seem to have more "body" (I guess that this could translate in terms of "high" vs. "mid-low frequencies).

- Brass: same as strings. I could add that, for a super-realistic effect, you could layer Motif and Fantom; the same applies for the strings.

More considerations: the Motif ES is famous for its electric pianos, but the Fantom XR has some nice Rhodes too, just different (less crystal clear but again with more body). Organs: I prefer the Motif, but the Fantom has a dedicated card with lots of Hammond, Farfisa, etc. Voices: I think that here the Fantom wins clearly, because the Motif has nothing comparable with the scat voices, and also the "Hmmms" are more realistic.

As you could have guessed already, I am glad to own both; had I to choose, which one would I pick? Well, given the expansion slots and the internal sampler, I would probably pick the Fantom, but I would sample as much of the Motif as I could before selling it. ;)

Final consideration: in terms of ease of use they both have pros and cons, but I think that overall the Fantom XR has a more intuitive interface and I like the display more.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Marillion:

Hi Marillion,

don't write off that Kurzweil rack just yet. It's globally endorsed, it's got a firm history of providing pleasure when it's full potential is explored, it.. well you get the idea. I'll stay off your thread now. Thanks for your time. Thanks Dreamer, Cydonia, Gas, Marino, for your humor.

:D

Sorry! Edited to correct a mistake in the piano part, but I hit the "quote" button instead! :o

Marillion,

as always it's very subjective:

- Pianos: I prefer the Fantom, considering that you have also six expansion slots for SRX cards and SRX # 11 is dedicated entirely to a Steinway multisample (64 Mb, with 4 layers for each one of the 88 notes) :cool:

- Strings: Motif strings have a more "airy" quality, while those in the Fantom seem to have more "body" (I guess that this could translate in terms of "high" vs. "mid-low frequencies).

- Brass: same as strings. I could add that, for a super-realistic effect, you could layer Motif and Fantom; the same applies for the strings.

More considerations: the Motif ES is famous for its electric pianos, but the Fantom XR has some nice Rhodes too, just different (less crystal clear but again with more body). Organs: I prefer the Motif, but the Fantom has a dedicated card with lots of Hammond, Farfisa, etc. Voices: I think that here the Fantom wins clearly, because the Motif has nothing comparable with the scat voices, and also the "Hmmms" are more realistic.

As you could have guessed already, I am glad to own both; had I to choose, which one would I pick? Well, given the expansion slots and the internal sampler, I would probably pick the Fantom, but I would sample as much of the Motif as I could before selling it. ;)

Final consideration: in terms of ease of use they both have pros and cons, but I think that overall the Fantom XR has a more intuitive interface and I like the display more.

Hope this helps.

Archived