Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

any country keyboard players here?

c4

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best Country-Western Song Titles of All-Time...

1. Get Your Biscuits In The Oven And Your Buns In Bed

2. Get Your Tongue Otta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissing

You Goodbye

3. Her Teeth Was Stained, But Her Heart Was Pure

4. How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away?

5. Can't Get Over You, So Why Don't You Get Under Me?

6. Don't Know Whether To Kill Myself Or Go Bowling

7. Got In At 2 With a 10, And Woke Up At 10 With a 2.

8. Hate Every Bone In Your Body Except For Mine

9. Just Bought A Car From A Guy That Stole My Girl,

But The Car Don't Run, So I Figure We Got An Even Deal

10. Keep Forgettin' I Forgot About You

11. Liked You Better Before I Knew You So Well

12. Still Miss You Baby, But My Aim's Gettin' Better

13. Wouldn't Take Her To A Dog Fight, Cause I'm Afraid

She'd Win

14. I'll Marry You Tomorrow But Let's Honeymoon Tonite

15. I'm So miserable Without You, It's Like Having You

Here

16. I've Got Tears in My Ears From Lying On My Back

While I Cry Over You

17. If I Can't Be Number One In Your Life, Then Number

Two On You

18. If I Had Shot You When I Wanted To, I'd Be Out By

Now

19. Mama Get A Hammer (There's A Fly On Papa's Head)

20. My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, And I Don't Love

Jesus

21. My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, and I Sure Do

Miss Him

22. Please Bypass this Heart

23. She Got The Ring and I Got The Finger

24. You're the Reason Our Kids Are So Ugly (My

favorite)

=============================

I apologize. But somebody had to post these. :rolleyes::P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I cover the pedal steel parts with these guys, but other than that I didn't even use a string pad...just pianos, organs, and pedal steel (Roland's SRX-09 expansion board has great pedal steels) the whole night.

Bill H.

Can you explain the techniques that you use to *cover* the pedal steel parts on a keyboard? I guess the mod/pitch bend wheels for slides and vibrato are used. Do you make a few programs for specific pedal steel *tricks* (using portamento for long slides for example).

And, do you mostly use single notes and intervals or any triads too?

OK...I've worked with a couple of really good pedal steel players, and this is not the same thing at all, but it does cover the parts, and works best as background. It sounds a lot better than typical synth pads for country. But I do take leads with it too.

I use the Roland paddle, along another trick you can do on Roland synths...modulate attack with key velocity. This way I can move an inner voice in a chord with a light touch, and it won't trigger an attack transient. With a voice on top and underneath, it sounds like a slide...especially with the band going. It takes some practice to get all these elements flowing smoothly.

The patch I use is a velocity layer using two of the pedal steel waves from Roland's World expansion board...I guess a pedal steel qualifies as a foreign instrument if you're Japanese. Anyway, I run it through the Fender Twin amp simulation in my Fantom S. It sounds pretty good really.

Originally posted by Bill H.:

I use the Roland paddle, along another trick you can do on Roland synths...modulate attack with key velocity. This way I can move an inner voice in a chord with a light touch, and it won't trigger an attack transient. With a voice on top and underneath, it sounds like a slide...especially with the band going. It takes some practice to get all these elements flowing smoothly.

I run it through the Fender Twin amp simulation in my Fantom S. It sounds pretty good really.

Oooooh. Oooooh. I'd really like to hear a snippet of your work, Bill. :thu:

Got any MP3 soundbytes of this setup?

Thanks.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I'm going to have to get one of my sons to set something up when they visit. They understand that stuff a lot better than I do. I'm 58 years old and they're actually suprised that I even contribute on a couple of discussion boards...they know their old man and his ineptness at computers. ;)

Originally posted by Bill H.:

Anyway, I run it through the Fender Twin amp simulation in my Fantom S. It sounds pretty good really.

Good tips Bill.. :thu:

• 3 weeks later...

I thought you guys might want a good laugh. I did a friend a favor and filled in for a country band last weekend. The results were unspectacular. My fellow band members nearly fell over laughing at the enthusiasm I exhibited. I don't think my VK-8 will ever forgive me.

Why Rockers should never attempt Country

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Archived