Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me (re)build my rig!

hardbop200

Hello everyone, first post!

I'm in the process of rebuilding my rig, and I thought that I would post my thinking to you and get some opinions, as I am AGONIZING over the choices that have to be made.

Basically, I need a very versitle (man, did I spell that right?) rig. My current amp is a Motion Sound KT-80. I would like a keyboard that is lightweight that has a *good* piano sound (I don't care about anything else), so on the trio gigs I can just take it and my amp, plug in, and go. On the bigger gigs, I would like to be able to take a rack and (somehow - this is where I get tripped up) control it from the aformentioned piano. Initially, I was going for a S90ES (too heavy) or Nord Stage (too expensive). I own a Keystation Pro-88 now, and don't like the action (too mushy). Roland is out, not that they are bad, I just don't care for the piano patch.

Here's what I've come up with so far: Casio Priva PX-100 to a rack containing a Muse Receptor and other rack hardware as the gig requires (maybe a Voce or Nord Electro in the future)...

BUT!

Is the Casio's piano sound any good? Can it control another module? If not, what would you suggest? Maybe a used 76-key Kurzweil? Does anyone even play Kurz anymore? Help! I need someone to help me come up with a good solution here. Remember, one keyboard on the small gigs, and that same keyboard needs to control a rack on the larger gigs. Any suggestions?

PS - Having 88 keys is not a definate requirement, though it would be nice. I'm more in it for the weight. I would LOVE the S90ES, but it's just too heavy for me.

I'm literally going crazy here. Someone tell me what to do :confused:

Josh

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As usual, you'll be the one chosing the right instrument for you, but count me in as the ones who still play Kurzweil.

The acoustic piano sound on the PC2 series is quite tough to beat. Clean and no weird extra "buzzing" as on other brands. Its MIDI implementation is also very good.

That's what I would recommend you.

And welcome to these forums! :wave:

I'm a Kurz user as well.

I would suggest a Kurzweil PC2 for your needs. The 76 note semi-weighted action keyboard is lighter (39 lbs vs. 55 lbs for the weighted action version-PC2X). It has all the sounds you would need along with good midi control features.

Keeping with the "I'm more in it for the weight" thought, you could also get the Kurzweil SP-76 or SP-88 semi-weighted keyboards but you would need to purchase the ME-1 Micro Ensemble sound module in order to get good piano sounds. This set-up (SP/ME-1) would cost the least, give you the same basic sounds as the PC2 series, and offer good midi control functions. The down side is that you have virtually no sound editing capabilities and have extra equipment to set up. :)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Kurzweil's good stuff, man. They will be making a big comeback here in the next year - I predict. The PC series is perfect for the gigger. I played a few gigs with the 76-key PC2 and didn't mind the semi-weighted keys for piano and made nice shifts to Wurly/organ - moreso than I could ever do on an S90 or other weighted synth (I own an S90).
Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Thanks for all of the answers.

My only concern is that I've heard that Kurz doesn't hold up well with gigging. I've heard that they have some serious quality control problems, and that their stuff breaks, is prone to misbehaving in high heat and humidity, etc. Granted, I am a "weekend warrior and will not be hauling this keyboard around the country, but can you speak to these concerns at all?

Also - no word on the Casio at all?

Josh

Originally posted by hardbop200:

Thanks for all of the answers.

My only concern is that I've heard that Kurz doesn't hold up well with gigging. I've heard that they have some serious quality control problems, and that their stuff breaks, is prone to misbehaving in high heat and humidity, etc. Granted, I am a "weekend warrior and will not be hauling this keyboard around the country, but can you speak to these concerns at all?

I have had NO problems with my PC2X over the past 2 years. It has made many a trip outside my home.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Hardbop - Kurz adressed problems with the action in their pianos. Having cracked one open for a look-see (and after fixing my original PC88 action), you'd have to be Hercules to break those things (at least in the way they were being broken before).

They hold up great. They are high-quality pieces of gear. I all but destroyed mine and it still functioned well.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

ELP71 - thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping (wanting?) to hear.

So the general concensus is that Kurz is a good controller with a good default piano sound. That's all I need to know.

I appreciate all of the answers. I really didn't expect for the answer to be Kurzweil, so I am definately going to give them a look.

Thanks,

Josh

Archived