Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha p250 vs. p200

Phil Aiken

I have an opportunity to upgrade my p200 to a p250 for fairly short money (around $400).

Should I do it?

I have to decide quickly!!

Any input will be appreciated - though what I really need to do is to find a P250 to play through an amp in mono....

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only spent a few minutes on a P200 so my opinion isn't worth anything.

Does that $400 also include a flight case for the P250? I'm pretty certain the P200 would fit in a P250 flight case, but you probably couldn't use a P200 flight case to hold the P250.

Scott Healy from Late Night with Conan The Barbarian uses the P200 so it still has a lot of life in it.

If you're happy with the P200 why not wait a few years for the P250 to replaced with a newer model. The P250 came out around Jan 2003, that was the oldest review date I could find on it. Just some thoughts ... and no definitive answer.

Back to the piano.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

No!

Keep your P200.

I owned the P250 and now i'm a very happy P200 player.

P250 is nice (string resonance = sorry Dave,Key off samples, half damper,128 poly, XG sounds, etc... ) but i like the P150 and P200 Piano and E.Piano samples (much) better.

Don't shoot me guys, just personal ! :cool:

I have my P250 set up in my living room at the moment and while I never noticed this on jobs, I hear what sounds like a slight buzz on the Grand Piano patch. I am listening through headphones and I thought it was the headphones (or even my ears as I have tinnitus). I switched to another set of headphones, same thing. I also hear it through my Bose 802s. I have them pointed directly at me which I don't normally do; on jobs they are aimed over the audience's heads.

What it sounds like is this (and it is very soft, but still noticeable) - you know when you work with a drummer and he leaves his snare drum 'on' while you play a solo piano piece, it's that sound but much, much quieter.

I've never noticed this on jobs or anytime before for that matter. This does not appear on other patches just the Grand Piano patch. Any other P250 owners hear this as well? (Didn't someone else make this comment?)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I've gone ahead and purchased the P250. I am going to have a P250 vs. P200 shootout in my basement and put the loser up on ebay. I'm confident that I can get at least what I paid for the P250.

I haven't picked up the P250 yet, but it already loses points for not having the CS slider.

Silly.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

OK....the P250 sounds and feels a good deal better than the p200 to my ears (and fingers). This comparison was made with speakers off, both L/R outputs into 1 amp. I'll do a little more...this was a quick a/b.

I REALLY miss having the one CS slider though, and I have to delve into the midi functionality a little more before making my final decision. My needs are very basic, but I use that slider ALOT to control the volume of sounds on my Receptor. I don't want to add another box to my rig for this. Sigh....

Originally posted by Jessica Tomlinson:

What specificly is a CS slider, and what is it for? Also, do both models have a built-in 5-band EQ on board?

CS = Control Slider. It allows for controlling any of the midi continuous controller parameters (volume, modwheel,expression, pan etc.) by assigning one or more to the slider.

Archived