Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help with a hammond m3

Gus Mueller

I just got a hammond m3 - it looks awesome, but it doesn't want to start up... I've oiled it with the official hammond generator oil, and I've waited a week for that to soak in, but when I try to start it up ( as described here: http://www.dairiki.org/HammondWiki/HowToStartAHammond ) nothing happens. Just some scratchy noises and then silence.

I've made a little movie of it trying to start up here: http://gusmueller.com/2005/movies/MVI_3989.AVI

I really don't know a whole lot about what I'm doing - so if anyone has some pointers for me, I'd appreciate it. I've used google quite a bit to help myself out- but I haven't seen anything that might apply to me.

thanks,

-gus

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a b3 that sat in storage for a few years and when I tried to start it...same thing. I don't know if this was smart or not, but it worked. I good friend of mine told me to shoot wd40 down in the little oil cups. Worked like a charm for me.

I concur with Mr. Element.

The video was kind of quick but it sounds like you are attempting to start it using both switches simultaneous.

When the start switch has been held long enough you will notice a slight change in the whirring noise. That is the time to hit the run switch. Keep both of them going until the baby starts to purr.

I have heard of the WD40 thing, but I would only recommend it as a last resort.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

I'm starting it using the start switch first- for about 8 seconds, and then I flip up the run switch while the start switch is still up. At this point everything goes silent with both switch in the up position.

Could there maybe be some bad wiring in there? Or does something just need to be lubed up? I'm happy to take pictures or more videos if you think it would help in diagnosing the problem.

thanks, (and for the very fast replies!)

-gus

Originally posted by Gus Mueller:

I'm starting it using the start switch first- for about 8 seconds, and then I flip up the run switch while the start switch is still up. At this point everything goes silent with both switch in the up position.

Could there maybe be some bad wiring in there? Or does something just need to be lubed up? I'm happy to take pictures or more videos if you think it would help in diagnosing the problem.

thanks, (and for the very fast replies!)

-gus

Try this:

Start switch for 8 seconds. Leaving the start switch on, turn on the run switch for 8 seconds then turn off the start switch.

The start switch on a Hammond is spring loaded so that it only stays on if you hold it in the on position. Once you let go of it, it should automatically flip off.

My C2 usually takes about another 20-30 seconds before the tubes get warmed up and it starts making music.

No signature required.

ohhhhhh - I (and my wife) got it spinning!

What we ended up doing was manually rotating the wheel on the left quite a bit, and it seemed to loosen something up. After that when I hit the starter, everything started spinning (I didn't realize it was supposed to move around on the left... honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect).

Now I just need to figure out why no sound is coming out :)

-gus

Originally posted by Gus Mueller:

Now I just need to figure out why no sound is coming out :)

-gus

ummmmm, press on some keys. :rolleyes:

(sorry. somebody had to say it.) ;):P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I've got all the drawbars pulled out. I did manage to get the slightest amount of sound out of it, when the vibrato solo manual is turned to the on position. If I turn that off, then nothing comes through (and it's only this switch as far as I can tell). It's very, very quiet.

But it's progress.

Could be:

Dead tube(s)

bad wiring

Try to determine if the problem is in the preamp or the power amp. The preamp has the expression box attached to the volume pedal. It has outputs that are probably marked G G or something like that. Hang a guitar jack off that and plug it into an external amp. If it works, then the problem is further downstream in the power amp.

Moe

---

Gus,

Trying to diagonose your problem long distance is just too frustrating.

It looks like you'll have to bring it in. :rolleyes:

...Hey guys, what's our address here (and hand me another beer, OK?)

;)

(Do ya ever forget that you're talking to people located anywhere?

I know *I* do. :P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived