Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Temp control when moving electronic instruments?

realtrance

I may be moving to hot country (Texas) in the next month or so. Do I need to do anything special in terms of finding a truck that's air conditioned to keep my synths from roasting, or will the usual mover's truck be fine, if they pack the stuff towards the middle?

:eek:

Thanks,

rt

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You did not mention where from.

The main thing is to make sure you wrap them in plastic to avoid water damage while moving - either from rain water leaking in to the truck or from something else spilling.

I have moved my gear in regular trucks a number of times with no problem.

I've seen LCD displays go totally black after sitting in the hot sun (this was actually during a miserable gig, kinda hard to change patches that way) but it recovered after being allowed to cool down.

I don't believe the heat of a moving van will cause any damage.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Ummmm realtrance? I gotta tell you something... You're not a-gonna like it. Ready realtrance?

THERE'S A HURRICANE COMING AND IT'S HEADED STRAIGHT FOR TEXAS - ARE YOU OUTTA YOUR COTTON-PICKIN' MIND???!!! :freak:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/resize_new?filename=/data/images/at200518.gif&width=280&height=210

OK, let's say that you aren't outta your cotton-pickin' mind and you wait until this thing blows over. If there's a state left, and you still have your sights set on moving, my next question is this:

How many synths have you got and can they fit in your car?

I wouldn't think that you need to keep them air-conditioned. I doubt that the UPS truck that moved them from the factory warehouse to your current location was air-conditioned. They'll be fine.

However, if they were MY precious keyboards, they'd ride to Texas in my air-conditioned, leather-trimmed, DVD-equipped, beer cooler in-the-back vehicle with me and my two long-haired miniature dachshunds. :P

http://www.intrepidalpacas.com/images/benson_lucy.gif

(I realize that if Celine Dion's performance on the Larry King Live show didn't make you PUKE, what I just said probably put you right over the top.) :P

Good luck realtrance. (no kidding)

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hey, it will not take that hurricane a month to hit Texas, unless you are talking about Hurricane Trance. :D

You should not have any trouble moving a month from now. I plan to be in Texas at that time and people tell me it is wonderful in late October and early November. But, next sommer you might want to avoid outdoor concerts.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Tom,

Road trip! Sigh... you make it sound like fun, though the dachsunds....

Yeah I think I'll keep an eye on ol' Rita, though I thought Texas never got rain, just a bit of a blow every now and then with a coupla tornadoes tossed in.

I dunno, I think moving to Texas might be smart for me; might knock some sense into me, finally.

It'll be fun. I'll either live dangerously and just watch 'em go into the truck while I suffer heart palpitations for three days, or rent a U-Haul...hmmm... those aren't air conditioned in the back, either, are they?

Hurricane Trance, I like that! I'll make that my first album.

If it all melts in the truck I dunno, I guess the PEK can replace it all... right? :)

Thanks for the reassurances, in any event, and the good humor!

Gosh I hate moving. Wish there were some service you could just sell everything you have to, get a check and then just replicate the parts you want when you land. Legally, that is. Don't make any offers, now....

I wouldn't worry about the heat at all. If you buy a keyboard from Roland or Yamaha (and who else?) they all come to the US by boat, right? I'm sure the trip is also very warm. Any concerns I would have would be vibration.

I make it a point to open my equipment every few years and tighten up all the loose screws. I was surprised that my P250 _came_ with many screws inside that were not very tight.

There are some who think I have a few loose screws but that's another story. :cool:

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Michael Jones:

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

beer cooler in-the-back vehicle with me :P

Tom

What brand of beer?
What brand do you drink? :P

Lately, it's been yuengling. However, I try to be accomodating.

And to be honest, I'm not real picky - as long as it's really, really cold. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

And to be honest, I'm not real picky - as long as it's really, really cold.
As long as it's very very cold you don't have to be picky. ;)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived