Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha EX7=Great Hammond sound

Keybass

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
agreed! i have the ex5 and the b3 sound i programmed is great. will easily give those clonewheels a good run for the money. the ex series are the most underrated digi boards around and yamaha would do well to build the successor to the motif with the warm sound of the ex's convertors and the fdsp/modelling/sample playback engine. I'll never sell my ex.

Chief Product Officer at Rhodes®. Project leader and designer of the Rhodes MK8 piano and V8 Plug-in.  

ex.factory is the ONLY safe way to go. Something EX owners need to be aware of...

If you use Sound Diver, MIDI Quest, or any other editor/librarian (other than ex.factory) that READS Voice data from the EX via MIDI SYSEX: Whether you notice it or not, you WILL DAMAGE ANY and EVERY Voice that uses Element #4, and you'll also damage Drum Voices that use more than about 84 Elements.

These problems are due to bugs in the OS. These bugs have not been fixed in the latest OS/TG version.

You can read more details in the following (old!) topic at EX5Tech:

Topic - EX Editor/Librarian Problems DO EXIST

You can read more about ex.factory in the following forum at EX5Tech:

Forum - ex.factory

Derek Cook, who wrote ex.factory, just released a new version (v4.1). In general, ex.factory is very strong on librarian features, allowing you to manipulate and create EX5 format files on disk that you can then load into your EX5. ex.factory also excels at Sample/WAVE manipulation, and EX WAVE editing (an EX "WAVE" is what most manufacturers would call a "program" or a "multisample"). ex.factory is not a full fledged editor though. However, it does have some editing tricks that even the EX5's OS can't do, such as viewing/editing "Scene" data.

ex.factory is shareware, though the largest and most important aspects of its feature set (IMO) are fully functional in the free unregistered mode. Once registered, you can send files to and from the EX5 via MIDI, and yes, ex.factory has a *very* clever workaround to the OS bugs that cause problems in the other editor/librarians. Quite frankly, I never use the MIDI transfer anyway. I find it just as easy, and much faster, to create files on my HD and SCSI Jaz drive, then load them directly into the EX5 from the Jaz.

I can't say enough good things about ex.factory. It's a great app, and I couldn't do without it because it is such an incredible time saver. I still use the EX5 itself to do Voice (patch) programming, but I use ex.factory for nearly everything else. ex.factory is also a must for large Sample/WAVE projects like our "S3" orchestral project that's underway. The Sample/WAVE file for S3 bumps right up against a couple of the EX5 limits (# of Samples and # of WAVE Layers). I found out the hard way that the EX5's OS won't actually let you get near those limits without crashing. ex.factory, on the other hand, created the 16 mb .S1M WAVE file with ease, which in turn loads flawlessly into the EX5.

Be sure to check it out!

Whoops... guess we got a bit off topic regarding the editor stuff.

Originally posted by Keybass:

I fired up my old EX7 and rediscovered the Hammond sounds in this underappreciated monster. I am blown away, it is gritty and full bodied, the leslie sim aint too shabby either.

Keybass, there are a number of free soundsets we have at EX5Tech and AMPFEA that contain some very nice organ sounds. If you haven't already checked them all out, and you're interested, I'll compile a list for you.

Ski, I've already sent my registration by email today to Derek, so I'm awaiting his response re payment etc...

But, here's an important issue for me. I need to be able to manage patches and organize them either by category or by sound bank sets... or both... Then dump them into my EX7.

Can the ex factory allow me to do that?

I'd love to download some of the EX's organs, pads and leads and whatever else you all have out there... But, I can't really do anything before I get my key from Derek!!!!!

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Originally posted by Music*aL:

But, here's an important issue for me. I need to be able to manage patches and organize them either by category or by sound bank sets... or both... Then dump them into my EX7.

Can the ex factory allow me to do that?

Yes, it can do that, but probably not in the way you're accustomed. Here's what you do, or at least, what *I* do! You create .S1V (Voice) files for each "category" or "sound bank set" you have. Then, you use ex.factory to drag and drop Voices (Yamahaese for "patches") from all the various Voice files you download/create into your "category/sound bank set" files as desired. It's actually simpler than the SoundDiver paradigm.

Originally posted by Music*aL:

I'd love to download some of the EX's organs, pads and leads and whatever else you all have out there... But, I can't really do anything before I get my key from Derek!!!!!

What??? You absolutely *can* do something! :) You don't need ex.factory to load sounds into your EX5. Like I said above, I never actually use ex.factory to load sounds into my EX5; I just use it to manage Voices (librarian) and to create and manipulate EX WAVE files.

You can use most of those sound sets now. All you have to do is download appropriate Voice and/or Voice/Sample sets, put them on a diskette, stick the diskette into your EX, and load the sounds. Very simple step by step instructions and illustrations are in the manual.

To be clear, some of the big sound sets that come with custom sample sets require optional additional memory, and the optional SCSI interface, but the majority of them do not. Even if you don't have the options to be able to load the big sound sets (such as MEL-LABS), don't ignore these sets. MEL-LABS, for instance, has some nice organs that do not require the use of the big Sample/WAVE file (i.e. the Voices use internal Samples/WAVES). Also, don't assume that just because a sound set has custom Samples/WAVES, that you can't use it. I've made plenty of custom Sample/WAVE sets that fit into the stock 1 mb of DRAM, including a nice CS-80 Brass set.

What options does your EX have?

You need to put the following on your shopping list, in the order below:

1) Updated OS/TG chips from Yamaha.

2) The SCSI interface, plus a SCSI Jaz (my favorite) or Zip drive.

3) 16 mb or more additional DRAM.

4) The EXFLM2 16 mb Flash RAM kit.

Keybass and Music*aL, here's a quick list of a few of the organ related topics at EX5Tech you may be interested in reading to find more sounds, and to learn a few cool techniques...

looking for some B3s

http://www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb_cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000171

Guitar & Organ

http://www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb_cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000717

Halloween Ghoul 5 - Keys to the Hotel of Horrors

http://www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb_cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000802

EX goes XB-2

http://www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb_cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000672

Dire Straits "Walk Of Life" Organ

http://www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb_cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000260

Leslie speed - gradual change in rotary effect possible?

http://www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb_cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000211

Ski

Thanks for all the info... I don't think I have any options on my EX7. I bought it used, so, I am not even sure how to find out what's on it if anything is...

Part of the reason I haven't loaded anything up is that I'm running macs and don't have a diskette slot in any of my macs... I'd have to do it at work, etc.... So, I think I'll wait...

Can't wait to audition all of these voices... Sheesh...

Thanks again Ski.

aL

aL, you're really going to want to at least get a little USB diskette drive for your Macs, assuming they can write to a DOS formatted disk. Very preferably, get a SCSI Jaz drive as I mentioned above. The EX SCSI is slow, but it beats the tar out of going over MIDI. Having SCSI also opens up a whole new world of >1mb sample sets.

Sending stuff over MIDI to the synth is painfully slow. Forget about doing anything other than Voice data over MIDI. Sample/WAVE data for a big set would take days.

The other short term option for Voice only files, and <=1mb WAVE files, is to spend half a lunchtime at work gathering a few files and copying them to a PC DOS formatted disk. I'd really recommend doing this so that you can get started with trying out some of the various sound sets.

Ski

Believe me, I'd be happy just trying out all the voices posted on your website... I can forget about the samples for now... In any case, I might just go the scsi route... I think I'd rather do that for now.

BTW, you have a very nice website for us EX owners...

aL

I also have an EX5 and a MOTIF 7ES. I'm really surprised at the warmth of the EX5... the epianos and organs are wonderful too... there is someoverlap between the EX5 and the ES but I reckon the other synth models in the EX5 really make it unique...

Sure you can add the boards to the ES, but there is virtually no patch community for the ES, certainly none that takes into account the add on boards. The great thing about the EX5 is the community... its not just about buying the keyboard :)

Archived