Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm getting a digital piano for home use only...please make recommendations

eric

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the dialogue and suggestions. I am doing my due diligence research now. Two issues that complicate it a bit for me:

1) I have a pretty high bar on my piano choices, perhaps making anything I want too expensive to realistically afford. If I could find a really nice used Yamaha U1 I would be pleased as punch.

2) My dad bought a 6'2" Kawai Concert Series grand when I was a teenager and I will eventually (probably a LONG time from now) inherit it. This makes me hesitant to drop too much $$ on a really nice piano today.

I'm casing the used inventory in town and also chatting with all the dealers. Interesting that a lot of them are telling me that the newer Chinese and Korean brands (Samick, Opus Two, Young Chang, others I can't remember) are the new industry standard and are building pianos every bit as good as the older school Yamaha/Kawai/Steinway pianos. Apparently, these newer companies are doing it FAR less expensively and I've been told I could get a *brand new* Samick Pro model (48") for probably the same as a used Yamaha or Kawai Pro upright. I don't know enough about the recent happenings in the piano-building industry, but supposedly there has been a lot happening to introduce very low-cost options that are still of high quality.

So I'm still doing some research and decided that if I cannot afford what seems to be the best to me, I may go with a digital for the time being or slog it out a little longer on the old upright until such time that the primo U1 comes available on the used market.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

Eric

Eric, what's the US price for a U1 these days? I bought one back in 1971 and paid $1100 I believe. The dealer told me he gave me 20 percent off the list price and he made 20 percent. A new one might not be that much more than a used one. There is something about a brand new piano. I've owned two new acoustic pianos over the years and it really gets your juices flowing.

Keep everyone posted on your choice.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Eric, what's the US price for a U1 these days?
Dave, I have not heard any quotes other than approximate MSRP (dealers understandably don't like to give quotes on the phone). I heard the U1 is around $7k MSRP, the U3 is about $11k and the U5 about $16k new. I do not know the markup on pianos, but let's assume I could get about 20% off of the MSRP - that would put the price into the $5500+ range.

I am going to read the Larry Fine book and also start visiting some piano dealers to see what's out there.

Regards,

Eric

There have been reports of Generalmusic abductions. The minds of the abductees seem to have been brainwashed. When they return they only praise Generalmusic and will have no talk of any other brand. It seems like a religious conversion to some.
I'm telling myself not to laugh but it's not working. :freak::D That would explain it! Except, I discovered Generalmusic first, and then it took me out of this world!! I don't understand.
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

what you say is true, eric. (whatever you said, it's on page one...). There's always going to be a market for exclusive hand-made european pianos, but the lines of distinction are blurring with cost-efficiency, computer-aided design, blah blah blah. It's not the same market we thought we knew.
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Some nice uprights

in today's Buy & Sell :

Yamaha. Upright, light brown, well condition, good for beginner. $1900. Calgary. Tel: 403-228-9454

89 Yamaha upright piano, walnut, C108, 42", $2850 Tel: 403-239-9309

Yamaha Studio Piano and Bench in excellent condition. Attractive Walnut Cabinet $2995.00. Prices inc. Delivery, Tuning (in home) & 10 year parts and labor Warranty Tel: 403-279-6732

Kawai, Model K20 with bench. 48", ebony piano built in 1967. Plays well $1895. Tel: 780-459-5525

Yamaha upright polished ebony piano in new cond, $3200 obo. Tel: 780-674-2426

Yahama P2F 45" Piano , 1972 Satin Walnut, excellent cond. $3500. Tel: 780-432-7673

Yamaha model M5E 45" piano w/bench, satin walnut, exc cond, $2700. Tel: 780-349-4776

Yamaha U1, 48" upright piano, satin walnut, c/w bench $3500. . Burnaby. Tel: 604-433-5115

Yamaha Upright Piano Model M1 42"H Brown Color, excellent condition $1300. obo. Vancouver. Tel: 604-731-3698

A pre-owned Yamaha U3, 52" upright polish ebony, now special $3421. Please call (Rmd) 604-273-3808 Tel: 604-801-5397

Kawai white upright piano. Includes bench with hidden storage, sound dimming bar for quieter play and metronome. $2000. obo. North Vancouver. Tel: 604-929-8069

Yamaha U1, hardly played, lk new cond, sacr $3450 obo. Tel: 604-533-5602

Yamaha piano, studio upright, mod P2, blt for North American mkt, '79, $3000 Tel: 604-820-2741

Small (4' height), upright Yamaha piano. Good starter piano. $500. . Calgary. Tel: 403-245-2698

Yamaha U1 48 inch Upright $2700. CALL MUSIC MAN PIANOS Tel: 604-437-5161

All prices are Canadian dollars (85% of USD)

Originally posted by eric:

Eric, what's the US price for a U1 these days?
Dave, I have not heard any quotes other than approximate MSRP (dealers understandably don't like to give quotes on the phone). I heard the U1 is around $7k MSRP, the U3 is about $11k and the U5 about $16k new. I do not know the markup on pianos, but let's assume I could get about 20% off of the MSRP - that would put the price into the $5500+ range.

I am going to read the Larry Fine book and also start visiting some piano dealers to see what's out there.

Regards,

Eric

The prices of uprights have sure gone up. I would guessed around $3500 or so. I bought a Yamaha six footer about 15 years ago or so and paid $11,000 or so.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I'm probably late into this but I concur with the suggestion that you buy the kids a real piano to learn on. I would not cut any corners. Just like with lessons, I'd spend whatever it took to get the best I could afford, starting with the Yamaha upright and going from there. Let us know what you finally decide. Remember, you get to play it, too!
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Archived