Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhythm Training

zoomer

I have known for a while that problems with my rhythm are tied to my singing, which is tangled up with my right hand. My RH always follows what I sing, upsetting the rhythm. B.B. King cannot sing and play at the same time, but I want to!

So I have tried singing (Blues and roots rock) without my right hand playing, and it is ok, but the rhythm is still not strong. When I add my right hand, things get bad.

Next I tried just chording w/the RH on the #2 and 4 beats, without using my left hand, with a drum machine, and that is helpful, so I know I am on the right track. Doing that seemed to free things up, and make a small but hopefully permanent change.

Question: Does anyone have experience with overcoming this type of problem? If so, what helped? Everything I can find about rhythm training is not specific to this problem. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:confused:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always found independence between hands and voice very difficult. I admire bassists/musicians who can sing and play a totally different thing on the instrument at the same time.

With keyboards, I would suggest the old "count the rhythm" trick. That's a basic thing you have to do in most classical piano lessons. This way, one is forced to concentrate on the rhythm while playing.

Note that I'm so singer at all (thank God :D ), but I think if you successively work on a piece or parts of a piece repeatedly, "singing the rhythms" + play and then go back to normal lyrics singing + play, you could gradually solve this problem. :)

Get a metronome and practice with it. Simplify what you are playing while you sing, in fact practice patterns to use while singing so you do not have to think about your playing. Learn everything separately then put it together. Use the metronome. That should help. Good luck!
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Quote daviel

Get a metronome and practice with it. Simplify what you are playing while you sing, in fact practice patterns to use while singing so you do not have to think about your playing. Learn everything separately then put it together. Use the metronome. That should help. Good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Dave, only I use a drum machine... mainly find which works for you. I also agree in learning things seperately. Make sure you can play the song COLD, Blindfolded, whatever. I find when I mess up vocals it is when I miss a note or chord change. My pitch goes because I change my focus. To me playing can be automatic, but singing takes more focus. Just know you are not alone but you can over come it. PRACTICE.....

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

To Quote Dave Horne from so many threads that I can't count them all...

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...

That is the only way to get better. Playing with a metronome (or drum machine) will help you know when you are making mistakes too...

I have been playing and singing backup for a while, and I have a hard time with it at times... The current thorn in my side is Oye Commo Va. Strange kinda conflicting rhythms to sing and play together.

I sat down and tapped the keyboard rhythm with my right hand and the vocal with my left. It started off being really hard, then it got easier... Now I sing it pretty well while I am playing...

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

SLOW DOWN

SLOW DOWN

SLOW DOWN

once you get it do it a bit faster, but not too fast so you lose it.

it's ok to slow back down until you're comfortable.

with persistence you will achieve your goal.

and, believe me, polyrhythm feels really good.

worth it

worth it

worth it.

Archived