Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digital Piano's for under $1000

vanz

I've done some research and am liking the Yamaha P60, but before I pulled the trigger I was wondering if there was another digital piano you would recommend instead.

I'm new to digital pianos but have played often about 10 years ago on a standard piano and have always been concerned about the quality of the digital sound. Recently I stepped into an electronics store and tried a few digital pianos and was quite impressed.

I am most interested in a nice piano sound, the 88 keys and a nice feel. I would also like to be able to plug in head phones. Digital voices and gadgets and such don't really interest me. I guess my highest priority would be the authentic sound...

Thanks,

Vanz

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Roland FP's are nice, but the touch is a bit light, and the throw is short. Try them out first - even though I'm a pianist (I'm music director at my church and play a Kawai Grand), I like the FP's very different feel. But it's not for everyone.

The Yams under $1K don't sound as good to my ear. Nor the Korgs, Casios, M-Audios, Kurzweils etc. Kawai is a good brand, but I don't think they have anything under $1K.

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Vanz,

I'd recommend the Yamaha p120 if you want built in speakers or the P90 if you don't want the speakers. They're both a couple of steps up from the P60, and both have an excellent piano sample.

I think that after a while, you'll notice the flaws in the P60's piano sample. The P90 and p120 also have flaws (there is no perfect digital emulation) but, you'll be able to live with the flaws of the latter two a little longer than with the p60's.

HTH

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Vanz,

You could probably pick up a used p90 for the price of a new p60 off ebay... Also, I don't know if you know how the music retail industry works... But you just don't pay asking price. There's always room to haggle. It's sort of like buying a car...

Anyway, I can tell you that you can buy a P90 for $900 out the door. I have gotten that price at my local music store. You can even Froogle that board and you'll find it advertised for around $899... You just have to dig around a bit...

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Archived