Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI bank select question

LithoJazzoSphere

I'm controlling my Yamaha Motif ES rack from my Kurzweil PC-88 MX keyboard, and am trying to get them talking to each other properly. My goal is to be able to keep the commands in User 2, where I have all of my sounds created and arranged, and just cycle through them by pressing the + or - button on the Kurz, or just by scrolling the wheel. Right now all I can do is get it to switch between sounds in the Mo's GM bank. I've been reading through the manual, trying to solve this, but so far, no luck. Any suggestions?
A picture may paint a thousand words, but a melody can paint a thousand pictures.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, with a bit of research, I've been able to accomplish my goal by turning off the bank select switch under utilities, leaving the Mo in User 2, and just selecting from the Kurz. However, I'm still curious why I don't seem to be able to change banks.
A picture may paint a thousand words, but a melody can paint a thousand pictures.

If you are in Program Mode on the Kurz, you will be sending only Bank 0 along with the Program number.

You may have to manually select the ES bank after the Kurz is in the Program bank you want. Then, the + and - buttons should scroll.

To select the GM bank on the ES from the Kurz requires you to send the correct bank number (by selecting the bank of the same number on the Kurz)

I would put the Kurz in the Setup Mode. Zone 1 can be used for the Kurz's sounds. Zone 2 can be set for MIDI only and a separate MIDI channel for the ES only. Then you can scroll through the entire ES with or without the Kurz's sounds (Mute Zone 1 fro no Kurz sounds).

Check the ES and see how it receives Bank commands (CC0, CC32, CC0/32, etc.) Set up tthe Kurz to send in the appropriate format.

Does the PC-88 send bank commands? Older MIDI gear may or may not.

You may have to manually select the ES bank after the Kurz is in the Program bank you want. Then, the + and - buttons should scroll.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing right now. I'm not in bands that have complicated enough setups to demand dozens and dozens of complex setups, but it would be useful to figure out how to switch banks for future reference. Right now I'm still stuck to manually selecting the bank from the Mo, and having access to 128 patches right at the Kurz, but no more, unless I used internal sounds or hooked up another rack.

To select the GM bank on the ES from the Kurz requires you to send the correct bank number (by selecting the bank of the same number on the Kurz)
The problem before was that the Only bank I could get sounds from on the ES was GM. It acted like the other banks didn't exist when trying to control it from the Kurz.

I would put the Kurz in the Setup Mode. Zone 1 can be used for the Kurz's sounds. Zone 2 can be set for MIDI only and a separate MIDI channel for the ES only. Then you can scroll through the entire ES with or without the Kurz's sounds (Mute Zone 1 fro no Kurz sounds).
I'll have to try that, though zone 1 wouldn't get used much, as there are only a handful of Kurz sounds that I like. The Mo crushes it in most areas.

Does the PC-88 send bank commands? Older MIDI gear may or may not.
The PC-88 MX has pretty much full MIDI implimentation, as it's designed to be a controller, not a synth. The problem is my lack of knowledge and experience, not the board. And indeed, according to the manual, it Should be able to send change bank messages. I just can't get it to work.

Archived