Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Painting = Osmosis training

Trill

I have been painting the wife and my new studio/store all week and have about 4 days to go.On top of working my regular job. So I decided to make the best out of missing out on practicing for about 2 weeks.

I 've been so busy trying to learn and remember 60 songs for our set list, that I forgot what it was like to listen to music. ( new band)

I am a firm believer in what I call osmosis training. There are countless times I will be playing and play a lick or something that I heard ,but never intentionally sat down to learn.

So ,even though I was working ,it was great to put on a lot of my old cds and just listen again.No Interuptions.Its funny how much more you hear . I haven't done that in a long time

So I'm schoolin myself with some Herbie,Jeff Lorber, Rippingtons, Crusaders,Steely Dan.

Its not painting ,its the school of Rhodes,Wurly,organ and piano :love:

Its good to step back and get reinspired sometimes

I may have to do some shopping and burn some more music today.

:cool:

Greg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greg,

I had a similar experience while cleaning up my shop area in the basement next to where all my gear is. Put in Zappa & the Mothers Live at the Roxy and the new Jet CD.

What a concept, I thought. Listening to CD's.

Regards,

Joe

Greg & Joe,

Great thoughts.

I was thinking today while sitting in the doctor's office & again at Wendy's why I want to perform something OTHER THAN the music you hear everyday in these locations.

Crusaders, Rippingtons (some of it), Steely Dan (some of it)... There's lots of music that doesn't get played over and over and over.

Trying to think of lists to play as a jazz trio the first thing to come to mind are the standards from the Real Book (volume 5). Good, solid stuff that most of us jazz players need to know.

But I'd really like to supplement that with some more or less current tunes that still sit firmly in the jazz genre, but are neither old and stale or so far off the scale of improvisation that no one around here can relate.

I don't want to play pop tunes in a jazz style, really. I want to play jazz tunes from jazz artists and stay true to the genre. I think it can be done. My goal is to stay fresh, play tunes people will like, yet always play jazz - not pop, country, disco polka, etc.

We've had this conversation before here on The Keyboard Corner. I was kinda in the camp of pleasing the audience at any cost. Now I've changed my mind a bit. I think it's cool to stay true to the genre & always play jazz, but try to play tunes that even regular folks (people who say they HATE all jazz) can enjoy.

What are your thoughts?

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

There's a man at my house he's so big and strong

He goes to work each day, stays all day long

He comes home each night looking tired and beat

He sits down at the dinner table and has a bite to eat

Never a frown always a smile

When he says to me how's my child

I've been studying hard all day in school

Tryin' to understand the golden rule

Think I'll color this man father

I think I'll color him love

Said I'm gonna color him father

I think I'll color the man love, yes I will

==============================

You are O-L-D if you remember when this song came out on the radio. :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by DirtyRubberDuck:

Originally posted by Trill:

I have been painting the wife

What color ya painter her? :D

DRD

I 'm painting her blond with a brown tan. I may have to do some drywall repair in some spots and embellishment to some other areas .But I'll get it right this time. :thu:

Archived