Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The pin will be removed today.

ITGITC

As many of you know, I had a chance encounter with a hedge trimmer back in July. I cut my left-index fingertip through the bone. I had my mind on going out to hear our fellow forumite, DREAM, and his band play that afternoon and simply screwed up. Luckily, my finger is healing nicely and the fingernail has grown back half-way.

Well, today at 1:00 EDT I have an appointment to get my finger X-rayed and, hopefully, the surgeon will pull out the stainless steel pin that I've had to live with for a month and a half.

The pin goes through the first joint and halfway through the second. So, I can't bend that joint (obviously). But it also remains swollen. I'm hoping that with removal of the pin, the swelling will finally subside. The surgeon attached a tiny yellow plastic ball to the end of the pin and I've had to wear a funny-looking plastic splint-thingy held to my finger with velcro tape.

My finger is sensitive because the skin peeled off when I had to soak it in diluted hydrogen peroxide at the beginning of the ordeal. So when I wear the splint-thingy it hurts even more.

Of course, it's been entertaining to leave the splint at home and walk into the Radio Shack to get help from the young girl who works there when I need to pick out small plugs and things. One gets funny looks when one has a tiny yellow plastic ball firmly attached to the end of one's index finger. :idea:

Thank you for your support through this ordeal. It's not easy being a keyboard player who pretends to be a yard man on the side. :rolleyes:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom

I guy who lived across the hall from me at Penn State busted his hand punching a stop sign. It was the outer-most hand bone, and he had a pin going in through his pinky knuckle down into the hand bone. He said having it taken out fell really good, akin to a bowel movement. Ha-ha!

I recommend that you do not return to work. You will be experiencing acute pin-post-partum, the only antidote for which is massive alcohol intake. You should definitely go to the bar, no doubt about it. Go directly to the bar. If the bar is within wlaking distance - run.

Regards,

Joe

Thank you all for your advice and kind words... especially the information about how having the pin removed feels like a bowel movement. Now THERE'S a VISION! :freak:

I'll let you know how it goes at the Doctor's office when I return. He's got a couple of very cute receptionists (who don't know I exist), but I'll bet if I show them my cool finger and offer to share my beer with them they couldn't help themselves (they couldn't help but say NO). :rolleyes:

I can't wait to get back into playing music. You know when you sit down at the keyboard after a long time away and you really surprise yourself at how good you sound? Well, that'll never happen... but perhaps with a little coaxing, the good Doctor will give me some medication. And with that medication, I'll convince myself that I sound GREAT!! :thu:

I'll letcha know.

Many many thanks! :)

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Good luck Tom. I played with a guitarist that cut his finger really bad on a bottle while working at a Pepsi plant. I think he spent over two months with two fingers on his left hand taped together and he was our only guitarist. He looked at it as an opportunity to get better, and it worked. But, sadly, for some reason he decided that he would rather play with people like Barbara Mandrell and Joe Diffie so I have not seen him in a long time. :)

Robert

Robert

This post edited for speling.

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?: Sue, do you still love me? I still love you. :love:
Still? In spite of whaaat? :confused:

I trust no one. I believe no one.

But darn if I don't love everybody.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

One gets funny looks when one has a tiny yellow plastic ball firmly attached to the end of one's index finger.
But not if it's shiny silver or gold, and through an eyebrow, nose, lip, nipple, or (need I continue ... ?)

It's funny, what we think of as funny, isn't it?

Hope all goes well!

Originally posted by learjeff:

One gets funny looks when one has a tiny yellow plastic ball firmly attached to the end of one's index finger.
But not if it's shiny silver or gold, and through an eyebrow, nose, lip, nipple, or (need I continue ... ?)

It's funny, what we think of as funny, isn't it?

Hope all goes well!

But one could come in handy in a crowded parking lot of one is willing to stand next to the car and hold that finger up in the air. :P

Robert

This post edited for speling.

You guys are a riot. And I mean that sincerely.

I just got back from the good Doctor's office.

He started by saying "Let's take the little plastic ball off" - and starts pulling. Well, I KNEW that he couldn't get the ball off, because I had been taking it on and off for days now. Just last night I torqued it up pretty tightly with a hex screwdriver, so I KNEW he was messin' wit me. Sure enough, as he pulled the ball here comes the pin. Ouch. Mutha fr*34****n Sonofa*3045*(32!! And he said it wouldn't hurt. :mad:

Then he starts BENDING IT. Of course, all this time blood is coming out the hole where the pin was. I'm trying to hold my fist back from hitting him. All the time I was smiling like it was no big deal, right? Grrrrrrrr.

I asked him about arthritis. He said not to worry about that for another 40 years. By then I'll be 90. So, I guess I'm OK.

I asked him about playing piano. He said "NO". Said the bone was JUST BEGINNING to heal. I'd have to wear the splint a while longer and not play piano.

So there you have it...

I stopped by the house to get a bite to eat and I'll be back at work a little later..

This is no fun. I didn't even get my beer. And now I don't even have any 'bling' to impress the ladies. :(

Thanks for you kind words. :)

Tom

Originally posted by Markyboard:

Glad to hear your finger recovering Tom.

Keep it someplace dark and moist for a while.See if it helps.
Hasn't he been through enough pain already? :eek:
OMG! I'm not touching that - with any finger. :eek:

cnegrad - full recovery, yes. Thanks for asking.

dark and moist... hmmmmmmmmm. :rolleyes::love::thu:

Originally posted by Joe P:

Tom

I guy who lived across the hall from me at Penn State busted his hand punching a stop sign.

Ah, yes....when I was at Pitt we heard legendary tales of the brilliant Nittany Lions, but never anything as ingenious as that ;-)

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

posted 09-09-2005 09:36 BY GAS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have any of you had a pin removed? The good doctor says that it's no worse than getting a shot in the arm. Is that true?

Should I forgo the trip back to work this afternoon and visit my favorite watering hole for a brewski instead?

--------------------------------------------------

Tom, I forgot to show you my scar on my little finger. I had a pin in it and to pull it out it took one person with plyers, one holding my arm and 3 beers for me. It felt like they were extracted a bone at first but then it started to slide and I heard my finger holler freedom at last.

Jim

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Tom er GAS

Sure enough, as he pulled the ball here comes the pin. Ouch. Mutha fr*34****n Sonofa*3045*(32!! And he said it wouldn't hurt.

TOM, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT... HE DIDN"T FEEL A THING!

I asked him about playing piano. He said "NO". Said the bone was JUST BEGINNING to heal. I'd have to wear the splint a while longer and not

play piano.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom, this is the same Dr that said it wouldn't hurt when he pulled the pin out. I would start exercising that finger ASAP.

But I would heed his advice about playing piano because the pressure of hitting keys will send you about two feet off the piano stool. But movement shouldn't effect healing. It will be stiff for several months and even when you can put pressure on it you will be hesitant to do it.

Prayers are still with you brother.... I'll play some left hand if you get some gigs in the mean time.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by dream:

Prayers are still with you brother.... I'll play some left hand if you get some gigs in the mean time.

Jim thank you. :)

As you know, it was a beautiful day in Raleigh. I opened the window in my studio, put on the splint and played standards on the PC2X today for about 3 hours straight. It felt really, really good.

To hell with the good Doctor telling me not to play. I've always been a defiant SOB. That's why Mom & Dad sent me to Hargrave Military Academy one summer - to straighten my butt out. Just ask me if it did any good. :freak:

Thanks for your post.

Tom

Archived