Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

question for Ernie Rideout

Dave Horne

Ernie, in the latest issue (September 2005, page 10), you wrote .. If any other mag seems to be covering more keyboards than us, it's probably because we've already covered those 'boards when they first came out - or the instrument isn't actually available yet. We make it a priority to cover instruments the minute they're available to the public, and we do not publish "sneak peek" reviews.

This is not a grammar complaint :) , but how do you explain the fact that the Yamaha P250 was only recently reviewed? I bought mine about a year ago and it was probably in the stores a year before that. That seems to be at odds with your response to the reader (Cole) who took the time to write to Keyboard and voice his views.

If this has already been covered, I apologize.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Ernie, in the latest issue (September 2005, page 10), you wrote .. If any other mag seems to be covering more keyboards than us, it's probably because we've already covered those 'boards when they first came out - or the instrument isn't actually available yet. We make it a priority to cover instruments the minute they're available to the public, and we do not publish "sneak peek" reviews.

This is not a grammar complaint :) , but how do you explain the fact that the Yamaha P250 was only recently reviewed? I bought mine about a year ago and it was probably in the stores a year before that. That seems to be at odds with your response to the reader (Cole) who took the time to write to Keyboard and voice his views.

If this has already been covered, I apologize.

Dave, I think Ernie answered this in another thread, it was because Yamaha didn't send them a P250 to review until recently.

So, I question that statement "We make it a priority to cover instruments the minute they're available to the public" (if in fact it's an accurate quote). Should say "We make it a priority to cover instruments the minute the manufacturer sends us one to review"

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Hehehe... Tom, you're such a s%*# disturber.

Don't ever change. ;):D

Cheers,

SG

SG, do you remember that guy in school that always got you in trouble, yet he walked away unscathed?

That was me. :P

I apologize... I can't help it.

I've read up on descriptions of my personality type and that's what it says... ENFP - TROUBLEMAKER... do not associate with this personality type.

I'd quit, but the addiction has set in and I can't help myself. :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

SG, do you remember that guy in school that always got you in trouble, yet he walked away unscathed?

That was me. :P

That was me too... good thing we went to different schools... ;)

I apologize... I can't help it.

Oh, don't ever apologize... it's far too much fun to have someone else helping stir the pot up. :thu:

Cheers,

SG

I was hoping this petty nonsense would just sink lower than Page 3, but I'll jump in now that the thread's been bumped. Product reviews are kinda my deal as tech editor, so if I may presume:

Ernie spoke truthfully. We do make it a priority. You guys are pretty sharp - I'm not telling anyone here anything they didn't already know when I say that making something a priority doesn't guarantee successful results every time. Speaking as a moderator: Creatively interpreting Ernie's words to try and make him out as a liar is a childish pursuit, best left to people who don't possess the class and intelligence you've already demonstrated in these forums, Dave. It's beneath you. I sincerely hope I'm misinterpreting your intentions.

Richard, in reality we are often annoyingly proactive about procuring review units. We don't wait for the manufacture to send it of their own accord. Granted, we can't be on top of absolutely everything all the time, and stuff does show up unbidden sometimes. But that's quite rare. Ask Alesis how sick of me they are right now. My contact there likely wakes up in the middle of the night with my voice in his ear: "Where's the Fusion, man, where's the Fusion?!"

We missed the boat on the P250 when it was new. Truth. No excuses. We cringed at the prospect of running that review so late. It's still a current product, though. Who can say that review helped no one?

In the same way we place high priority on reviewing as soon as the product is available, baseball players place a high priority on getting hits. Ted Williams batted .400 - getting a hit 40% of the time - and is revered as exceptional. We're first on the street with reviews of post-beta, post-proto products based on actual use - not lab testing or manufacturer interviews - more than 40% of the time.

Technical Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

Actually, I'm rather happy that y'all pay that kind of close attention to something I wrote! Thanks for chiming in, everyone. It as Floyd Tatum and Ken noted earlier: on one hand, we simply couldn't get a P250 out of Yamaha. On the other hand, we didn't do a good enough job of hounding our friends at the big Y to remind them to get us one. Those guys were too busy selling 'em to set one aside for us, and who can blame 'em?

And as Ken points out, we sure as hell try to get the gear in before anyone else gets a shot at it. Keyboard readers deserve the best, and when it comes to new gear, timely reporting is one of the ways we give y'all your money's worth.

I don't say "y'all" that much in person, but I find the term is growing on me, at least here at Cyber Keyboard.

Off topic: I received my copy of "Under the Covers" today and gave it a spin --- you guys rock!!!!

Ernie Rideout, Private Citizen

Gee, that was quick.

Originally posted by Ernie Rideout:

I don't say "y'all" that much in person, but I find the term is growing on me, at least here at Cyber Keyboard.

:D:thu: Come visit us in North Carolina, Ernie. Everything moves slow and easy here. You'll understand why we're too lazy to say both 'you' AND 'all' together in a sentence and why there's no such thing as an 'R' as the last letter in a word. ;)
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Creatively interpreting Ernie's words to try and make him out as a liar is a childish pursuit, best left to people who don't possess the class and intelligence you've already demonstrated in these forums, Dave. It's beneath you. I sincerely hope I'm misinterpreting your intentions.
Ken, look back at my initial post in this thread and simply read it without reading anything into it.

I bought my P250 a year ago or so. It had been out for, I'm guessing, about a year before I bought it.

I quoted Ernie's own words which were quick clear.

You are putting words in my mouth in the above quote from you. I simply want to know why it took sooooo long for Keyboard to review the P250. If this were a rather unknown manufacturer, I might understand. Keyboard only reviews items that are sent to them by the manufacturer? Keyboard does not have an agreement with local music stores to rent or borrow equipment for the purpose of a review?

Ken, I think you are reading too much into my initial post. Thanks for your reply, but the post was addressed to Ernie for obvious reasons.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Dave, I'm glad I was wrong about what you were trying to do. I apologize for being so harsh.

I quoted Ernie's own words which were quick clear.
Yes, you did quote Ernie accurately, but you subtly called his honesty into question by inaccurately broadening the definition of "making it a priority" to mean "doing it every time." I couldn't let that slide.

I simply want to know why it took sooooo long for Keyboard to review the P250. If this were a rather unknown manufacturer, I might understand.
Ernie and I have both explained why it took sooooo long. I blew it. That's the whole story, there is no more.

Keyboard only reviews items that are sent to them by the manufacturer? Keyboard does not have an agreement with local music stores to rent or borrow equipment for the purpose of a review?
Keyboard reviews everything we can get our hands on, by any means necessary. No, the magazine does not have a standing agreement with local music stores to borrow and beat up their property. We have to be able to use the stuff on gigs and in the studio. No music store would allow us to treat their stock with the intentional mild disrespect we show review units on a regular basis, and the rental houses don't always get their units soon enough for us. I wish we had the budget to just buy everything we review every month. We could bring in a junior editor for the same annual cost (probably less). Almost always, the way to get it first is to get it from the manufacturer. And it is an understanding that goes back 30 years that providing a review unit guarantees them no specific result in the published review. They understand that it is not our mission to function as an extension of their marketing departments, and yet they send us the gear quite happily in most cases. And sometimes they feel hard done by when we criticize their product in ways they feel will impact sales. And it's their tuff luck.

Technical Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

I, of course, meant to write quite clear and not quick clear.

Yes, you did quote Ernie accurately, but you subtly called his honesty into question by inaccurately broadening the definition of "making it a priority" to mean "doing it every time." I couldn't let that slide.
Ken, as you know there's a difference between implying and inferring. (I imply, you infer.) I did not imply that Ernie was less than honest though you inferred that. I merely asked why it took at least two years for a review (especially in light of his comment to reader Cole). This is a keyboard magazine the last time I looked and for the top of the line Yamaha stage piano not to be reviewed for at least two years is a glaring oversight. I only posted here after I read a germane quote from the top guy at Keyboard. Since I own a P250, his statement jumped off the page. I could not let that slide.

I have read my initial post several times ... and have read your initial reply in this thread. I think you inferred much more than I ever implied. :)

I wish we had the budget to just buy everything we review every month. We could bring in a junior editor for the same annual cost (probably less). Almost always, the way to get it first is to get it from the manufacturer. [/QB]

Here's the ticket; buy the item, review it, then have all the editors autograph it and put it on ebay! You might even make a profit. :)

acctjm

Not that what I say means anything but I'll chime in. I bought a 250 almost two years ago and live in the same town that Keyboard Mag and the editors are. I not only emailed 2 or 3 times with no response I even called (locally) and talked to people there about a review of the 250. There were no plans on any review is what I was told at the time but they would pass along my interest. I did get lots of insights on the 250 when I hooked up with this forum with guys like Dave who owns one. Nothing really against Keyboard though. I'm sure they're busy.

Nothing really against Keyboard though. I'm sure they're busy.
Hmmm. It makes me wonder why the magazine is labeled Keyboard though. ;)

Originally posted by Ernie Rideout:

Gosh, was the P250 the *only* keyboard to come out in the past three years? I seem to recall a couple others . . . hey, look! There's a whole bunch of 'em in Keyboard magazine! :D

I couldn't find the release date for the P250 but I came across a personal review from Jan 2003. Gosh, you guys must really be busy. :wave:

Archived