Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A couple of interesting stats on the weather here in Rochester, NY

It has snowed measurably here for 19 consecutive days now with snow forecasted every day for the next 5 days at least. Also, this year to date there were potentially 4862 minutes of available sunshine of which we have only received 21 minutes... :mad: On the plus side, I leave Sunday for 2 weeks in Palm Springs and in the middle of the trip, I will be at NAMM! :cool: Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to school at the University of Rochester. During orientation, they were distributing this poster "You are a real U. of R. student when you... " .. following by a whole bunch of statements. One of them caught my eye. [quote] ... don´t see the sun for a week [/quote]I thought they were joking. They weren´t. I also do remember getting all 4 seasons on the same day.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

People here ask me all the time why I moved to Savannah. At the time, (1999) I had been living in Buffalo for 19 years, and I relate this story to them: "On January 5th, it started snowing. It snowed continually for the next 13 days. On January 18th, there was 54 inches of snow on the ground. When I left for Savannah on Friday April 2nd, there was STILL 36 inches of that same snow on the ground, and my street had yet to be plowed. The National Guard had tried, but could not get the huge plow/salter up the street because of the 7" of solid ice, the 5" deep potholes IN the ice, and the cars that were still buried in drifts of 5 feet. The trucks simply gave up. The day I left, it was 22 degrees, and the temp had not gotten over freezing since the previous December." I then ask them: "You really gotta ask WHY I moved?" ..Joe
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

[quote]Originally posted by Rod S: [b]I went to school at the University of Rochester. During orientation, they were distributing this poster "You are a real U. of R. student when you... " .. following by a whole bunch of statements. One of them caught my eye. [quote] ... don´t see the sun for a week [/quote]I thought they were joking. They weren´t. I also do remember getting all 4 seasons on the same day.[/b][/quote]Me: U of R, class of '84, B.A in Economics, with time at Eastman, Program Director of WRUR (during the height of "new wave"), and guitarist for the U of R Jazz Ensemble. For those in warmer climates, underground tunnels between buildings are common and necessary on college campuses in the region. Worst thing about going to college in Western NY: women in flannel for much of the school year. In the year I graduated, commencement was held indoors because a recent snow made the U of R stadium unuseable...and commencement was on Mother's Day! I do love the dramatic seasonal differences you experience here. Our house overlooks a creek and woods, and it's beautiful covered in fresh snow. The road crews do an exceptional job to make morning drive uneventful after an overnight snowfall.

None of this information is particularly heartening to me -- my band is traveling to Syracuse, NY, in a week for a show... Damn snow.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

[quote]Originally posted by CMDN: [b]None of this information is particularly heartening to me -- my band is traveling to Syracuse, NY, in a week for a show... Damn snow.[/b][/quote]Try to stop at Dinosaur BBQ for great ribs, chicken, pulled pork, etc. The side dishes are strong, too. Empire Brewing Co. is another great bar/restaurant. Their beer is brewed on the premisis, and it's outstanding.

[quote]Originally posted by CMDN: [b]None of this information is particularly heartening to me -- my band is traveling to Syracuse, NY, in a week for a show... Damn snow.[/b][/quote]I think there was a typo- you are traveling to syracuse for a snow not a show :D This AM the Sun in Rochester made a cameo appearance for an hour or so as I drove to work. I put on my sunglasses for the first time in months. Now I have to try and forget about it- its just too painful ;) How did I end up here anyway? ( my wife asks me this all the time. It should be noted that the past few winters have been extermely mild - and even sunny. This year is a return to the past. A ying-yang thing I suppose. Im rooting for global warming.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Ahhh, ya whining bunch o' lightweights!!! When I got my first job with the Weather Service, I moved from Tallahassee, Florida, to Valdez, Alaska. Valdez is quite possibly the snowiest place at sea level in North America. The first year (winter of 89-90), the season total was 562 inches of measurable snowfall...it packed down to about 110 inches (around 9 feet). The season average for Valdez is over 300 inches. Fortunately, the city (due to a huge tax base from the pipeline terminal) is quite well equipped to deal with it (a whole fleet of front-end loaders for a relatively small town). Kids never missed one day of school. Valdez is one of those towns where life has given 'em lemons, and they make lemonade, ya know. The World Extreme Skiing Championships are held in Thompson Pass every year (just outside Valdez). That Warren Miller guy comes up there to film his extreme sports movies, etc. I dug living there. Sometimes literally "dug" it, if you get my "drift" HAHAHAHAHAHAA...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Absolutely check out the Dinosaur for ribs and their great side dishes... Also, ditto on the mild winters of the past couple of years. This is the first old-fashioned winter we've had in a while. I ran the Olympic torch in Buffalo Jan. 31st of 2000 just after they had received seven FEET of snow just a few miles south of where I was in Kenmore in ONE storm! We got virtually nothing in Rochester only 60 miles away... That's lake effect for you! It was amazing how many people in Buffalo turned out for the torch run in those conditions. Those folks know how to celebrate! Rochester is ahead of Buffalo for snow this year, and we and Syracuse are running neck and neck. Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Well... As long as the roads are relatively clear, we'll be ok, I guess. [quote] Try to stop at Dinosaur BBQ for great ribs, chicken, pulled pork, etc. The side dishes are strong, too. Empire Brewing Co. is another great bar/restaurant. Their beer is brewed on the premisis, and it's outstanding. [/quote]Hmmm... sounds like you know the area. We're playing at The Bridge Street Music Hall... Is this a cool place? We've never played there before. On previous occasions, we played at Planet 505 and some other joints. I think the first time we played Syracuse was on a tour about 5 years ago.... and it was snowing in March... the padlock on the back of our van froze solid, and we had to cut it off in order to get at our gear. We went from Syracuse to Toronto, worrying the whole time about our unprotected gear. I was jumpier than a long-tailed cay in a room full of rocking chairs....

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

[quote]Originally posted by mzeger: [b]Try to stop at Dinosaur BBQ for great ribs, chicken, pulled pork, etc. The side dishes are strong, too. Empire Brewing Co. is another great bar/restaurant. Their beer is brewed on the premisis, and it's outstanding.[/b][/quote]Too bad CMDN is too far away to get to your neck of the woods for a Garbage Plate, eh? Gawd, but I miss those things at 4:30 AM!
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

[quote]Originally posted by joegerardi: [b] [quote]Originally posted by mzeger: [b]Try to stop at Dinosaur BBQ for great ribs, chicken, pulled pork, etc. The side dishes are strong, too. Empire Brewing Co. is another great bar/restaurant. Their beer is brewed on the premisis, and it's outstanding.[/b][/quote]Too bad CMDN is too far away to get to your neck of the woods for a Garbage Plate, eh? Gawd, but I miss those things at 4:30 AM![/b][/quote]:D Ha! You know it! If you listen close even when I'm thinkin' of one of those plates, you can hear the sound of my arteries clogging! :D :D They are good though! Nick Tahou's... Yeah, baby!!!! Boggs :cool:

[quote]Originally posted by Boggs: [b]Also, ditto on the mild winters of the past couple of years. This is the first old-fashioned winter we've had in a while. Boggs[/b][/quote]Same here! (Believe it or not) In the north of this country they always have great winters, but down here we usually have more water than snow this time of year - we get snow and it melts the next day. This year we have a fantastic winter! Normaly I hate this season passionately but now it is so great to be outside that I use every excuse I can come up with to get out of the office. The fact that I am without car at the moment doesn't bother me much, I just walk. /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

We've had virtually no winter weather here on the great plains. We're literally subject to any wind that blows. Two days ago, it got close to eighty degrees - records fell all over the area. Today it's in the twenties. But it has been so dry, I would welcome any kind of precipitation. I took the day off Wednesday to water my lawn and newer shrubs as per the recommendation of the county agent. As for western NY, I visited some good friends there in (I think) '76. They lived outside of Syracuse and had just experienced the huge record blizzards of the previous winter. They lived in a converted schoolhouse which fortuantely had a woodburning stove. When the big snow came in the night, they woke to find they couldn't open the door. After a few days, they were getting short on food, so they opened a window and dug their way to their VW bug, dug it out of the drive and went to town for supplies. By the time they got back, the drive had drifted shut and they had to dig their way back in. I visited them the following summer and had a wonderful time. I got a gig that weekend at a place called the Little Sodus Inn on Little Sodus Bay, where my friend Jim's wife's family had a cabin. There on Lake Ontario, I had my first Canadian beer and my last acid trip. A few years later, his (now ex) wife called to say that he had been killed in his living room during a drug deal gone wrong. My guess it was coke, but I don't know. When I met him in 1970, he was fresh back from Viet Nam and was kicking an opium habit. I kept trying to write a song about him, but it just didn't happen.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Archived