Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Muse receptor instead of laptop..?

Analogaddict

How about the Muse receptor; It can handle VST plugins - and both Ivory and the Scarbee stuff is VST compatible. Ivory is mac only for now, but there's a pc version underway. Would it be possible to install these (supposing it has a big enough hard drive) on a Receptor and play away instead of using a laptop???

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
scarbee stuff works great on it apparently since it can fit comfortably in ram. the keyboard player for U2 uses the bosendorfer290 piano live via the receptor. once kontakt 2 is ported over you could stream huge samples using dfd if you wanted.

In theory, yes, but it really depends on how the manufacturer authorizes the installation.

Plugins that are officially supported on Receptor need to be "Receptorized", which allows them to be installed without special authorization routines (having to download and install codes, inserting a CD, installing a special dongle, etc.) I believe that Muse is looking into Receptorizing Ivory, as there's been a lot of interest in it from the Receptor community.

Some plugins that have not been officially Receptorized can still be run on Receptor, and there's a list of them on the Plugorama website (http://www.plugorama.com) and the KVR Receptor support site (http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=45), where you can find out the specifics on how to install them (or some of them, at least).

Some other plugins just can't be installed on Receptor unless they've been Receptorized. It's unknown now, of course, if Ivory is one of those or not, since there's no Ivory Windows VST yet.

Receptor is also nice and stable, cost-comparable to a decent laptop, and with all the audio hardware built in, you don't have to worry about cords, dongles, and devices hanging off your machine onstage.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

This is looking better all the time! What I need is an all-purpose solution that covers a wide array of sounds with a focus on the classics; pianos, electric pianos and B3. What I want is something small (2-3 u), lightweight and very expandable - I do a lot of different gigs and I need flexibility. With a software based system, updates is the least of my worries, and with the ADAT option I can get separate outs for all parts! Since I'm mostly a live player I don't need a gazillion voices, and USB ports mean that I can plug my CME UF7 right in! I can't believe I haven't thought of this before..! Now let's see what I can sell..! :)

A-addict-

This is primarily what I use it for.

Works very well for me.

Among other things, I run the Scarbee samples for Wurly and Rhodes, use Sampletekks White grand Jr. for piano, and run Native Instruments B4.

Mine has a 180 GB hard drive and 2 megs of RAM.

This is a good solution for me, though not flawless.

For soft synths it more or less IS flawless - for the sample based stuff, I prefer to not use Direct From Disk for Live performance, and have versions of all of those sample sets that fit in RAM. I'm hoping when Kontakt (as opposed to Kompakt) goes live on Receptor it will make DFD more trustworthy.

I'd have to say overall I'm extremely happy with it and it has performed very well.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

A-addict-

This is primarily what I use it for.

Works very well for me.

Among other things, I run the Scarbee samples for Wurly and Rhodes, use Sampletekks White grand Jr. for piano, and run Native Instruments B4.

Mine has a 180 GB hard drive and 2 megs of RAM.

This is a good solution for me, though not flawless.

For soft synths it more or less IS flawless - for the sample based stuff, I prefer to not use Direct From Disk for Live performance, and have versions of all of those sample sets that fit in RAM. I'm hoping when Kontakt (as opposed to Kompakt) goes live on Receptor it will make DFD more trustworthy.

I'd have to say overall I'm extremely happy with it and it has performed very well.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Thanks for all the helpful info! The compatibility issues are the only big worry for me, but then again I'd cover almost all my needs with a few va plugs, the Scarbee stuff, the lovely White Grand, the B4 and Sonik Synth 2... For live performance, I don't feel the need for huge, pristine sounding piano samples - I need something that cuts - and streaming large samples live would feel a bit hazardous. I had an incident at a showcase gig 6-7 years ago when all my samples were erased mid-show due to a power failure and I had to re-load them via floppy discs... the horror, the horror! :freak::D

Beethree - did you mean two GIGS of ram..?

Oops....yea, 2 Gigs of RAM.

Note that I use White Grand JR...as opposed to the

full White Grand. Sounds great-fits in RAM.

Mr. Ray and Mr. Tramp help me cover the Rhodes and Wurly as well. These are free plugs, and use physical modelling as opposed to samples.

So if I have Scarbee Wurly loaded up I can have Mr. Ray covering Rhodes on another midi channel.

This doesn't pertain to your situation, but I use a digital piano as a controller so I can have fpiano rom that while I am switching large sample sets.

Originally posted by Beethree:

This doesn't pertain to your situation, but I use a digital piano as a controller so I can have fpiano rom that while I am switching large sample sets.

If I need more than one sampled piano, I won't be able to play it with both hands anyway, I can get along with surprisingly few voices this way. I'm going to my studio right now to see what I can ditch in favor of a Receptor! :D

receptor + great soft synth sounds looks like a great option. the great thing is you can always change whatever you have in there as you get new sounds.

i've always felt any keyboard or rack usually only had 1 or 2 really good sounds. this is an opportunity to put all your favorites in one box. it's exciting to think about.

Suitcase 73 - D6 - Poly 800 - ATC-1 - Motif Rack - XV-2020 - plug-ins

Archived