Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Logic Audio PC - help

Hi, I'm trying to get going with Logic Audio (PC version, 5.5.5, I think)

I'm more used to Cubase, but I need to learn Logic to work with a friend that has it on her computer (she has it on her computer, but doesn't know how to use it). I just need a little help to get going. Here's the hardware setup, it's very minimal: Logic Audio on a PC; a DX7 as a midi controller; a SoundBlaster audio card.

All I want to do is to be able to record midi from the DX7, and be able to trigger Logic Audio's built-in software synths. I also might want to send midi back to the DX7 to 'play' it, too. I also want to be able to record audio (vocals, live instruments, etc.)

From what I remember reading/hearing about Logic, you have to set up an 'Environment' first before you can do anything. I created an Environment with a Midi Input object, and a Sequencer object, and put a 'cable' between them. So now I'm able to capture midi from the DX7 and record it on a track. But I haven't figured out how to play back that midi track through a software synth.

I haven't even tried recording audio yet - I guess I'll need something in the environment for that, too.

So, any tips you can give me to get started, would be greatly appreciated. Doesn't have to be too detailed - I just need a nudge in the right direction, I can probably figure out most of the details myself, or come back later with detailed questions if need be.

Thanks,

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Linwood:

Hi Richard - I use logic pro on a mac, so it's probably quite different, but check the forums at http://sonikmatter.com/. They discuss 5.5 over there. good luck!

The Environment is probably not that different. Could you just tell me, if you were me, what kinds of objects would you add to your Environment? Just in very general terms.

I've only been running logic pro for a month, but I've been running dp for the a past 20 years. I just wanted to give logic a try because so many people use it and like you, I get involved in a lot of projects and need to know my way around a fair amout of daws. Anyway.. I just had to run the setup assistant and everything was configed automaticly. So, run that if you haven't already. It was a breeze and to be honest, I was shocked. To get to the soft synths you have to select an audio instrument channel and choose a plugin for the i/o and bingo. I found the tutoials at www.macprovideo.com to be really helpful and well worth the $. Since you're pc,...I dunno. geez.. I wish I could be more helpful for ya. I think steadyb has a really good handle on logic, Maybe pm him if you have trouble after you run the assistant.

If you're only going to be trading the audio tracks back and forth you can both use whatever apps you want...just export each seperate track out as .wav and make sure you each know where each track starts measure wise....sounds a hell of a lot easier than learning other apps ;)

Darkon the Incandescent

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

Originally posted by Linwood:

I've only been running logic pro for a month, but I've been running dp for the a past 20 years. I just wanted to give logic a try because so many people use it and like you, I get involved in a lot of projects and need to know my way around a fair amout of daws. Anyway.. I just had to run the setup assistant and everything was configed automaticly. So, run that if you haven't already. It was a breeze and to be honest, I was shocked. To get to the soft synths you have to select an audio instrument channel and choose a plugin for the i/o and bingo. I found the tutoials at www.macprovideo.com to be really helpful and well worth the $. Since you're pc,...I dunno. geez.. I wish I could be more helpful for ya. I think steadyb has a really good handle on logic, Maybe pm him if you have trouble after you run the assistant.

Thanks, Linwood. I didn't even know about setup assistant - not sure if Logic PC has it, but I'll check it out. I also signed up at Sonicmatter, and posted a question there. Thanks for your help!

mildbill and Darkon, yes, I know there are other ways to 'skin this cat', but for now, I want to stick with Logic - I think it's a good thing to know, and my friend already has it, so I'd rather not ask her to spend any additional money if it can be avoided. I don't intend to become an expert or anything, for now, I just want to know enough to be get started.

Logic's online help is very very thorough......You can get your system working by going through the search, and tutorials......it's there, in every version of Logic Pro I've seen.

by todays standard, Logic Pro 5.5.1 is a drag.....I second the Cubase SL, or some other alternative.

Magix

Magix Midi Studio is the way to go..$70 download. Drag and Drop importing of audio files, .cda, .mp3, .ogg, you name it. It looks like Logic, and acts like logic, but is much easier to setup. Heck, in all respects, it is Logic Audio 6.0 for PC. You get the Logic instruments(from 5.5.1) with new names, plus a groove player, and more.

Logic 5.5 does not have this setup assistant. I'd be happy to help you out but I have to reload Logic on my system (upgraded my PC a while back). Actually today I jusr upgraded Cubase SX to 3.1 . I need to transfer my Logic songs over to Cubase at some point so this would be a good excuse to load in Logic. If you do not get the help you need PM me. If we can hook up by telephone it would be much easier to get you going.

Originally posted by Markyboard:

Logic 5.5 does not have this setup assistant. I'd be happy to help you out but I have to reload Logic on my system (upgraded my PC a while back). Actually today I jusr upgraded Cubase SX to 3.1 . I need to transfer my Logic songs over to Cubase at some point so this would be a good excuse to load in Logic. If you do not get the help you need PM me. If we can hook up by telephone it would be much easier to get you going.

Thanks, Markyboard, if I can't figure this thing out, I'll take you up on that offer!

Archived