Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New live rig - Prototype (S90 + PEK + Electro Rack)

eric

I decided to keep my PEK as a controller for the Electro and I picked up an Electro Rack. The goal is only 2 keyboards. I just started putting this stuff together tonight and have some finessing to do. Here is the prototype from different angles:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/rack_1.JPG

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/rack_2.JPG

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/rack_3.JPG

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/eslawson/rack_4.JPG

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Eric

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Eric... I posted my response on the KSS .... At the peril of just repeating myself, here it is:

Looks very nice... I wonder if the Electro is a tad too far for real time control... That is unless you're 6'5'' and have a 7 foot wingspan...

I am assuming you're going to trigger Organ sounds from the PEK and all the piano sounds from the Yammie!! Right???

Are you using a midi merge box or something to that effect? Also, are you using the S90 to send program changes and different setups?

Really, it looks great. I think, for my purposes, I'd want the electro a little closer for tweaking "effects" on the fly.

Say, is this a "leslie" I see in the background???? :D

FWIW, I was at GC today checking out the S90ES, and in anticipation of someday getting an Electro Rack, I looked at some SKB rack spaces... Could be the way to go...Dunno!!

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

What's that blue rack hanging in that two space rack with the power strip? Your impressive rack looks like more than I would want to move to gigs, have you got a roady? Without a roady, I would go out with just the Electro or just the S90 if you neeeded to play a lot of acoustic piano. I take only one keyboard to gigs, plug directly into a pair of powered speakers and it's still a lot of crap to deal with. I used to take two keyboards and or a rack years ago, but stopped all of that because it was such an extra hassle. By the time it was all loaded in the car, then unloaded at the gig, set up, plugged in and tested, I DIDN'T FEEL LIKE PLAYING!

Now I bring just:

1 keyboard

1 stand

1 little bench

2 powered speakers

1 bag of cables

I always keep and stand and bench in the car trunk.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and also helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." 

Harry teaches jazz piano online using Facebook Messenger, FaceTime, or Google Meet.

Originally posted by Jazz+:

What's that blue rack hanging in that two space rack with the power strip?

Looks like overkill to me, too much stuff to set up on gigs, have you got a roady? If I was you I would go out with just the Electro 2 73 (for Organ, Rhodes, Wurly, Clav and Piano) and nothing more. Or just the S90. I take only one keyboard on gigs, plug directly into a pair of powered speakers and it's still a lot of crap to deal with. I used to take two keyboards or rack stuff many years ago, but stopped all of that because it was such an extra hassle. By the time it was all loaded, unloaded, unpacked, set up, plugged in and tested, I DIDN'T FEEL LIKE PLAYING, lol! Nowdays I always keep and extra stand and bench in the trunk.

Jazz+,

The 2-space rack hangs off of my Invisible KB stand. It has one space for the Poly Evolver Rack (makes the Poly Evolver KB into 8 voice polyphonic). It also has a power conditioner with all the power cords for my rig already plugged in and ready to roll.

It is a bit of overkill, that's for sure. :D I doubt I'll carry all of this to every gig, but my main goal was to shrink down to no more than 2 keyboards and still have the S90, Electro and PEK. I still have my Electro 61 KB, so my trusty "fallback" rig will be the S90 + Electro, when I don't feel like bringing all this other stuff.

I don't have a roadie these days - back when I was touring regularly, it was really nice to have roadies.

Regards,

Eric

Hey Eric, why do you need the Evolver Rack when you have a PEK?

Are you not using your Speakeasy these days?

Wouldn't it just be easier to say heck with the rack, and go S90/PEK/Electro2

Tony - the Rack gives me 4 additional voices of poly, so the PEK + PER = 8 voices. I was only using the Speakeasy as a portal to the Leslie 122, which is not on the road at this point.

As for the S90 + PEK + Electro KB, I've tried it, but dealing with the 3rd keyboard has proven to be a real pain.

Don't you miss the beautiful NE2 waterfall keys ?
Yes, I really do love the Electro's KB. The PEK has a decent KB as well - I imagine I'll still use the S90 + Electro rig for some gigs.

Regards,

Eric

Eric,

Have you thought about using a full rack case, one with the adjustable mixer slant rails. Here's my setup.

http://www.midnitewalk.com/images/setup1.jpg

In my case, I'm doing on-stage mixing for the band so the mixer occupies all of the slant. In your case you could put the Electro rack and anything else that you need immediate access to. The rack can be placed very snug (the RD700SX can even overlap somewhat) on either right or left side.

In the lower section I have a VL1m and Fantom XR plus AC and power amp(s). I have an umbilical cord that connects the stand keyboards to the rack mixer and rack synths. Set up is very quick and clean. Normally I don't even open the back or the rack.

The large rack can get heavy with all the power amps, but the wheels are very heavy duty so once you get it on the ground it's probably the easiest thing in the setup to deal with.

Eric, what are you doing for keyboard submixing and on-stage amplification? In my case I just "submix" within the main mixer.

Busch.

This is interesting stuff, especially in conjunction with the "live rig" thread. I used to carry a RIDICULOUS amount of gear (some say I still do). Now that I've "slimmed it down", I'm still bringing in 9 or 10 pieces. I'm struggling with the 3keyboard rig too Eric. With Hello Dave, it's a non-issue: I just need good Hammond and piano/EP sounds (with maybe a clav every 10th gig); my Motif8 and XK3 work great (plus Speakeasy and leslie, and a couple amps for the other sounds). With my Pink Freud project, I need the Motif, Electro (too much left hand organ which is cumbersom with the XK3 because of the one octave transposition) and the Fantom; I was using a Micron too, but decided I would sacrifice the authenticity of the "analog" sounds for convenience.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Hey busch,

Which unit and patch are you using for a vintage Rhodes sound?

Don't you miss the "Vintage 74" Rhodes in the Motif Rack?

What are you using the VL1m and Fantom XR for?

Your impressive rig looks like way more than I would ever want to move around for gigs ... it looks like you got enough with just the RD-700SX for pianos and the Electro for organ.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and also helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." 

Harry teaches jazz piano online using Facebook Messenger, FaceTime, or Google Meet.

Have you thought about using a full rack case, one with the adjustable mixer slant rails.
Bill, the thought has occurred to me, but I don't have much rack gear and that would be one big heavy additional thing to carry. What I have considered is getting something like that that would take the place of my briefcase with a place to hold my pedal board and cables, as well as some way to transport my stand. If I could reduce some of the trips with one thing on wheels, that might be a good thing.

Your rig looks great, by the way!!! :cool:

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by tonysounds:

I'm struggling with the 3keyboard rig too.

I have switched between 2 and 3 boards on and off over the years. Whenever I go back down to 2 boards I find myself stressing over the patches. I found that I would worry more about what patch to switch to rather than concentrating on the song. 3 boards seens to be optimal set up for me. I set the patches before each song and then forget them. The freedom to play without worry far outweighs the small hassle of moving the extra board to me.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

I guess I'm basicaly a Rhodes and jazz piano player and I just don't understand the importance of needing to play three different sounds during one song, unless you are touring with roadies for some big act that is paying a salary that justifies such business. I can understand playing different sounds one by one in a multi track recording studio situation, but I think it is unnecessary live. I guess I think this way because I am never required to do any song live exactly like some multi keyboard layered recorded version.

I can understand how some people prefer using one sound per song. I'm guessing many of them are the type that would be willing to haul a B3, a Rhodes, etc. because they're going to be mainly using that instrument.

I come from a completely different background though. Perhaps it's because I'm a big fan of Rick Wakeman and Jordan Rudess, and try and combine their styles somewhat. Rick uses at least 11 keyboards, often switching sounds just by moving his hands over a few inches/feet. Jordan also switches sounds frequently, utilizing up to 500 total setups a night (there are some duplicate sounds, of course) by footswitching through them, one at a time, through one keyboard MIDIed to a rack of gear. My setup is not as complex as either, yet (lack of skill, lack of knowledge, lack of cash), but I do enjoy using many sounds live, even during the course of one song. For example, one song I might use a Rhodes on the verse, then for the chorus have a rock organ in my right hand, and a Moog lead in my left, then switch to a Wurlitzer for the 2nd verse, then go back to the chorus, still utilizing a Moog lead in my left hand, but now complimenting it with a harpsichord in my right. Another song, maybe I'll play piano in the verse, and then for the chorus have a Jimmy Smith type organ in my right hand, and a synthesized Solina strings patch in my left. I just can't get that effect by only using one sound per song.

A picture may paint a thousand words, but a melody can paint a thousand pictures.

Oh guys, I use up to 6-7 sound per song in my melodic/progressive metal band - the newest song requires me to play analog strings, techno lead, choir pad, piano layered with pad, hammond layered with pad, sweeping pad, real strings - thats one song!

BUT. I only push 3 buttons during the entire song!

And guess how many boards I use - one board, 5 octaves! Got a lot of programming to do before gigs...

and no, I don't use the sequencer back-up.everything is live, I don't have a seq in my board

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

With Hello Dave, I use a very simple rig: Motif 8 for pianos/eps, and XK3 or Electro for organ. It's a rootsy rock band, www.hellodave.com , and even though I'm restrained to appropriate sounds, it's not at all unusual for me to use at least 2 sounds per song (piano and hammond, Rhodes and Hammond, Wurlie and Hammond, clav and hammond). I use the Hammond a lot for big choruses, blahblahblah. In my other bands, I'm using a lot of different sounds. Not saying it couldn't be done, but I'd have a hard time being happy with just one sound per song.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I've changed my underwear three times this week, but Eric has only changed his live setup TWICE!!

I WIN !!!!!!!!!!!

Not so fast! :D:mad::D

Keep in mind that I don't post about ALL the times I change my setup. I think it has been more than twice this week that I've changed things around and it is still going.

Regards,

Eric

Partial quote by LithoJazzosphere:

-----------------------------------------

My setup is not as complex as either, yet (lack of skill, lack of knowledge, lack of cash)

:D What makes you think you're the Lone Ranger?

but I do enjoy using many sounds live, even during the course of one song. For example, one song I might use a Rhodes on the verse, then for the chorus have a rock organ in my right hand, and a Moog lead in my left, then switch to a Wurlitzer for the 2nd verse, then go back to the chorus, still utilizing a Moog lead in my left hand, but now complimenting it with a harpsichord in my right. Another song, maybe I'll play piano in the verse, and then for the chorus have a Jimmy Smith type organ in my right hand, and a synthesized Solina strings patch in my left. I just can't get that effect by only using one sound per song.

----------------------------------------

Litho- you're fortunate you have that much flexibility in your setup, the group you play in, and possibly the music too. Things are different for me as a OMB solo act. Most of the songs I have sequenced, I play the piano or Rhodes part live, sing and use a Harmonizer for all those songs, I don't switch off much, I try to lay it down on the Piano or Rhodes. I do get to switch off on some songs because the song calls for it, say Piano and a string part. Some songs I use my Motif ES8 for a synth string part and have my ION set up on a Prophet 5 Sync sound ala "The Cars". I guess that's the one area where I envy KB players in a band that don't have to cover "everything". Somtimes I think that being in a band allows you some freedom.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by Music*aL:

Say, is this a "leslie" I see in the background???? :D

1. If you're talking about the washing machine, that's damn funny. :thu:

2. What's cool is the Hammond next to the fridge - I know its your basement, but its an odd placement for an organ - worth a picture in its own right. Maybe playing LH bass and reaching for a beer at the same time? :thu:

3. These are the first shots of your newly painted basement floor. Previously we'd only seen the crazy colored walls behind your Hammond (can you say "Neon-Green Onions"?). I dig the painted floor designs - someone has an artsy-fartsy side to them! :thu:

4. I see the caribiner holding the rack to the Invisible stand, but where's the velcro? :cool:

-Ben.

I have been kicking around the idea of getting a muse receptor and controlling it with my electro 73.

I would use the electro for clav/organ/rhodes and use the receptor for piano/synth.I would miss the weighted action of my p 250 but definitely wouldn't miss hauling that thing around.

i like to play 2 sounds in a song, at the same time often. it's not often that I would use more than 2 though. i like to make a split on the keyboard and play 2 at once. that's the biggest drawback to the electro 2 - you cannot do that.

the Muse Receptor looks awesome. it would be expensive to buy that thing and load it up with all the best soft synths, but what a great piece that would be ! i can only imagine. having all the best possible sounds in one rack. well 16 of the best sounds anyway. and it is my understanding it is multitimbral, you can play as many of the 16 sounds at once as you wanted. and then just play with the keyboard controller of your choice.

c4, you could use a weighted keyboard with the muse, but I guess you would have to invest more in getting some quality keyboard sounds to replace the electro 2, (scarbee maybe ? and a killer organ sound from somewhere) who makes the best soft synth B3 sound ?

Kickin' it on the Keyboard Corner...

yes I have a p 250 for weighted keys but the idea is to make the rig as light and portable as possible. the electro is @ 19 pounds and the muse is maybe 5 pounds? since the receptor can have up to 2 gigs of ram you could have a really large piano sample on tap as well access to all the great electro sounds...

Originally posted by dabowsa:

1. If you're talking about the washing machine, that's damn funny.

2. What's cool is the Hammond next to the fridge - I know its your basement, but its an odd placement for an organ - worth a picture in its own right. Maybe playing LH bass and reaching for a beer at the same time?

3. These are the first shots of your newly painted basement floor. Previously we'd only seen the crazy colored walls behind your Hammond (can you say "Neon-Green Onions"?). I dig the painted floor designs - someone has an artsy-fartsy side to them!

4. I see the caribiner holding the rack to the Invisible stand, but where's the velcro?

Glad you like my funky basement! This is mainly a utility room/shop, but we keep a lot of the kids' toys in there and also my little music corner. This room has just about everything one could need in a funky basement room - the spare fridge stocked with various beverages, washer/dryer, KB Mag collection, lots of gear (Hammond A-101, Leslie 122, all my rehearsal and live rig stuff), walls of bright green, orange, yellow and turqoise, lava lamps, funky lights, etc. It is a fun room and conveniently adjacent to a full bath and nice finished room with PCs, TV, stereo.

As for the Hammond, yes, it does sit next to the fridge. That's the best place for it to fit. The Leslie (not pictured here) sits to the left of the Hammond.

As for the floors, they are painted an indigo/purplish color with lots of funky rugs that give it a retro look. It used to be a neutral white room with gray floors - it is much more inviting now!

Someone asked about Velcro? :D I have Velcro all over my rig!

Regards,

Eric

As for the floors, they are painted an indigo/purplish color with lots of funky rugs that give it a retro look. It used to be a neutral white room with gray floors - it is much more inviting now!

--------------------------------

OOOH I like that floor!! Makes me wanna change my studio Eric!

I only use 2 keys at gigs and used to fret about patch changes until I finally just got the moves down with the music. That's okay providing we don't change our set list too much! :rolleyes:

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Here's another alternative:

Ditch the electro rack.(shocking!!) Get a little voce v5 or V5+. It sounds good, and has real drawbars. It can sit on the Yami with some velcro, and be controlled by the PEK. Turn down the V5 volume when you want to do a PEK solo, no need for anything fancy. Use the Yami for the rest of your sounds.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Originally posted by Tom Fiala:

Here's another alternative:

Ditch the electro rack.(shocking!!) Get a little voce v5 or V5+. It sounds good, and has real drawbars. It can sit on the Yami with some velcro, and be controlled by the PEK. Turn down the V5 volume when you want to do a PEK solo, no need for anything fancy. Use the Yami for the rest of your sounds.

Ooh - not bad Tom. Not bad at all. :thu:

Tom, I actually *LOVE* the V5. I've owned one 3x in my career. Counterpoint is this - what would I use for Leslie simulation???

Regards,

Eric

Archived