Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

hiding a Hammond!

Hammodel AV

We have just moved into our new church building and the decorating committee has requested that a wall of some kind needs to be constructed around my Hammond and keyboard rig, because 'the organ looks old'. Keep in mind that it is a 1936 model AV, but looks better than some of the roaded organs out there. Any suggestions for walls around stage keyboard equipment that is easy to construct?

Thanks. Brian.

Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 new Leslies side by side should hide it. ;)

If they don't go for that, maybe a tiered set of shelves that people/decorating committee could put plants on as memorials to loved ones. When they get tired of watering and caring for the plants, they may decide the organ doesn't look so bad after all.

Originally posted by mate_stubb:

Refinish it? Put tape on it?

How about respect it and don't touch it. Erect a lightweight screen around it with a wood frame and fabric that will coordinate with the sanctuary decor, ala Paul Schaeffer's rigs on Letterman.

+1 :thu:

Well said, mate. :)

Cheers,

SG

Refinish it? Put tape on it?

How about respect it and don't touch it. Erect a lightweight screen around it with a wood frame and fabric that will coordinate with the sanctuary decor, ala Paul Schaeffer's rigs on Letterman.

Hey, I said " Just an idea." I klnow it wasn't a good one. :D Slowly

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by Hammodel AV:

We have just moved into our new church building and the decorating committee has requested that a wall of some kind needs to be constructed around my Hammond and keyboard rig, because 'the organ looks old'.

Stick it behind a what-not.

They are not worthy! Get them to buy a new keyboard (Nord Stage?) and then take the AV home with you...

Seriously, from my amateur woodworking perspective, I'd make a simple freestanding three or four panel hinged screen about 5' high or so. Suitable screen sections could be made from (painted or stained and varnished) standard butt jointed frames (using Douglas Fir or fairly knot-free pine) with 1/8" hardboard or cheap ply center panels (painted/stained and varnished the same as the frame). The whole thing could be made for around $150 IMO.

Whatever you do, DO NOT SCREW, GLUE OR AFIX ANYTHING TO THE AV WOODWORK DIRECTLY!! (please!!). That would be a sin.

:DTR

This does bring up a point worth discussing, which is the wisdom of refinishing an old Hammond.

If the organ is a total beater cabinet-wise, by all means have at it.

But Hammond cabinets with their original lacquer finish should be preserved whenever possible. An original B-3 case by itself is worth a couple of thousand dollars these days, if you haven't painted it white using latex paint or something silly.

There just aren't many original cabinets left in good shape.

Caveat - all comments above do not apply to the A-102 cabinet, a French Provincial nightmare. All A-102s should have the guts removed and the cabinets immediately burned.

Moe

---

Fully agree about the A100 french provincial look. What were they thinking? Guess you have to remember they were built in the 50s and 60s.

To demonstrate what can be done without disrespecting the instrument, here is one that KEI did for a customer to match their Steinway.

http://www.rock-xtreme.com/common/images/b3-2.jpg

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

I'm assuming that if a church said the organ looks "old", that that translates to "it looks beat to sh$t." Refinishing a scarred and scratched cabinet, if done well, wouldn't be a travesty. And obviously, I'm not talking about having some handyman apply some varathane!
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

WOW :eek:

I wonder what it cost to get it looking that good.

I don't know what they would charge for just a refinish. They rebuild all of their organs from the bottom up. The one in the picture can be built for you for $12,995 with a matching 122. That is what is listed on their website. They will add midi for you for another $3000.

When I hit the lottery one of those babbies will have my name on it.

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

Caveat - all comments above do not apply to the A-102 cabinet, a French Provincial nightmare. All A-102s should have the guts removed and the cabinets immediately burned.

I find them quite attractive. If anybody's got one that's offended by its appearance, I'll come cart it away for a very reasonable fee.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Thanks for the responses! I did first throw out to them that I could refinish it (have done alot of wood finishing over my life and have ALWAYS wanted to refinish it), but that wasn't what they were going for. They DID want the Paul Schaffer approach, and in fact that is what they first asked for. DTR's comments above may be what they would go for.

Thanks! Brian.

Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

They will add midi for you for another $3000...

[/qb]

>>>>>>>>>>>.

MidLifeCrisis,

I've never heard of KEI. I'd like to look into the midi install. Do you have a web address for them? Thanks, Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

Sorry, but they're close-minded morons.

A wood cabinet is a beautiful thing. Even my wife, an interior designer who doesn't like the sound of Hammonds (ARGH!!) remarked on how cool one looked at a show we went to recently. Even in the Roll-R-Kary, she liked it. Just not the sound (did I say ARGH!!?)

Glad the screen worked out. I suppose if I played at that church, they'd want one for my face, too. ;)

Originally posted by learjeff:

Even my wife, an interior designer who doesn't like the sound of Hammonds (ARGH!!)

Must be a wife thing. I get the same from my wife. She says it reminds her of a church organ from the days when she was a child. :confused: I repsond with how that is exactly the beauty of it. She then questions why I would want that sound in a rock band. Some things are just not worth arguing over.

:(

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

She says it reminds her of a church organ from the days when she was a child. :confused: I respond with how that is exactly the beauty of it. She then questions why I would want that sound in a rock band. [/QB]

Well... from her point of view, there is a logic. ;)

I mean, she is not a musician and she is looking at the whole issue without any preconceived notion and with a candid approach.

(This reminds me of the tale about the emperor's dress, the one where the emperor was actually naked... :eek::freak: )

MidLifeCrisis, I think that you should change your moniker: you are a lucky man. :):thu:

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by Dreamer:

This reminds me of the tale about the emperor's dress, the one where the emperor was actually naked

That sort of falls in line with the recent Rhodes thread. Do we love these old instruments for the unbeatable sounds and playability? or do we love them because they bring back great memories of great times from our youth?

Are we looking to regain the sound or are we looking to regain the lost magic?

MidLifeCrisis, I think that you should change your moniker: you are a lucky man. :)

Thanks. I may not always see the real beauty of my wife sometimes. :thu:

Steve

www.rock-xtreme.com

That sort of falls in line with the recent Rhodes thread. Do we love these old instruments for the unbeatable sounds and playability? or do we love them because they bring back great memories of great times from our youth?

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes!

By the way, thanks for the link. :thu: I'll take a look today. :) Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

Churches, soap operas, and baseball ... the Hammond legacy! You'd think that more folks would have GOOD associations (except maybe the soaps). Or that maybe they'd have heard some great gospel, jazz, blues, or classic rock sometime or other and have good feelings about it.

But no, for lots of folks, the cheeeze factor prevails.

Archived