Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has anyone ever rack mounted a Computer?

AnCap

I am wondering if anyone has tried rack mounting a Mac or PC tower rather than trying to use a laptop. I know Marathon Computer makes rack cases for Macs. It would seem like this might be a better idea than a laptop, and I always thought it would be a cool idea. If my current computer becomes a dedicated recording machine, or if I just get $600 burning a whole in my pocket, I might pick up the case and mount my G4 in it.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if you already own a computer, these are pretty cool. What I can't understand is why Apple, who now is getting pretty digital audio, hasn't simply made an audio version of their rack mount servers.

http://images.apple.com/xserve/images/xs_indextop_20050506.gif

http://images.apple.com/xserve/images/xs_indextop_010604_02.gif

One would think this could run a few softsynths.

I bought a case quite a few years ago with the intention of installing a motherboard and everything else to make a computer for my daughter's use. I ended up getting by with an old Dell machine that I pumped up with RAM, an 80 gig WD hard drive, new sound card, new video card, new DVD burner, LCD monitor, and wireless 802.11b card. (What was I thinking? I could have bought a NEW PC for the money I sunk into that machine.) But it was fun. And incremental. So I didn't have to fork out the money all at one time.

Now I'm looking for an ATX mobo with a Pentium M chip, PCI express, SATA drives, USB2.0, etc. etc. Haven't found a desktop mobo that natively accepts a Pentium M yet. But, truthfully, I haven't looked real hard lately.

My daughter had to buy a laptop for college so there went the extra $$$$ for the computer. Plus the old Dell is still in her bedroom not being used.

Frankly, I don't know if I'll ever buy another desktop machine. Laptops are so much more versatile and portable. With USB 2.0 my 250 Gig external drive works like a charm. Plus, if you put a computer in a rack, you still have to figure out the logistics of the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Of course, with a rack you can always find somewhere to attach a cupholder. :thu:

Beer is good. A handy cold beer is even better.

But you knew that. :rolleyes::P

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Thanks Johnny.

Yup. I know about the socket adapter. I'm waiting for a desktop mobo that accepts a Pentium-M natively without an adapter. They'll become available sooner or later, I believe.

I'm kinda on a kick to save electricity wherever I can. I've replaced most of my lightbulbs with compact flourescent bulbs that don't heat up much and use a lot less wattage. They've finally got the color right so it's the same as an incandescent bulb. They're not cheap, but I'm saving on wattage for light plus I'm saving by not having to use the air conditioner as much. (I hope.)

Thanks for the link. Let me know if you see a mobo like the one I described.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I rackmounted two Atari Mega STe computers back in the very early 90's... one was in my gig rack, one was in my studio rack. That was a sweet setup... the only real pain was transporting the monitor.

These days you can get rackmount keyboard + flatpanel displays from IBM and other manufacturers that take up 1 or 2 rack spaces in a sliding drawer ( here\'s a 17" 1U unit , only $1800US ;) ). The downside is the depth of the arrangement (the display tilts back on its back when in the closed position, taking up 28" for the unit above), making it much deeper than MI-industry racks, which tend to be 22" or less deep).

Cheers,

SG

Those Apple servers don't fit in a standard rack - they're designed for server racks, and they're far deeper than music rack gear. They are also not designed to be quiet at all (since servers typically live in a server room somewhere). Pretty compelling as a Logic Node, though...

Some of the rackmount hardware designed for G5's actually requires the "handles" to be sawed off - so look out. I have seen one that will hold 2 G5's side by side in a standing position, though.

It'd be cool if Apple made rackmount G5s, though!

There are plenty of rack mount PC cases but you still have to deal with the keyboard, mouse and monitor. But again, there are rackmount keyboard drawers and ways to mount an LCD. The advantage of a rackmount case over a laptop is power, price and an upgrade path.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived