Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fats Domino, others, Missing

kanker.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I feel for EVERYONE down there who is going through this tragedy - stars and "ordinary" people alike. To me, it is no more tragic that a "star" or "musician" is in harm's way than anyone else.

It always digusts me when the media makes such a big deal about the death or injury of a "celebrity" - as if their lives or so much more important than yours, mines, our neighbors, etc.

I remember the constant news coverage when JFK Jr's plane went down. There are light aircraft accidents all the time, but the lives of thosee others go unnoticed. That is a sad state of affairs.

Sorry for my rant, but all lives are important (except for those few criminals who have earned the right to be less important)!

Originally posted by garrafon:

Personally, I feel for EVERYONE down there who is going through this tragedy - stars and "ordinary" people alike. To me, it is no more tragic that a "star" or "musician" is in harm's way than anyone else.

Sorry if my posting offended you. While I certainly didn't mean to imply that Fats Domino is more important than anyone else, I certainly think that it is something that would interest members of a Keyboard discussion group. I'm sure many of the members of this list would name Fats and many other New Orleans musicians as being major influences to them. Just like the loss of Bob Moog was important news to this and many other communities, so is this news - Fats and so many countless other musicians from that region have had so great an impact on our world that it cannot be quantified.

I agree that focusing on celebrity in isolated incidents is unnecessary, but in situations like this, I think it can help show just how extensive the tragedy is, that nature has no politics, no agenda, no angle, no class distinction, no preference, just awesome power.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

It put me on edge, but it was not becasue kevank posted it. Yestorday I was too lazy to grab the remote and change the channel when one of those Hollywood Tonight type shoes came on. Watching stars talk about how they invited friends to stay in their home, or how they sang a song to the victiums on a morning show, ... , well, that burns me. How many of those people do they think are watching the morning show and saying "It was so nice of him to sing me a song." I did not hear any of them say they chartered a bus to help evacuate, or paid for hotel rooms, or ...

There are a lot of people with no car, no money, and no family or friends outside of the area. They have no where to go, and no way to get there. Those are the real victims.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Kevank: You absolutely did NOT offend me. Your post was totally appropriate and, you are right, relevant to this forum!

My rant was not aimed at you and I apologize if it came off that way. I was yelling at the news media. That has been a sore point with me for years. To them, life is almost valueless unless your a celeb.

Rabid: Good point! :thu: I make crap and even so, I give away lots of money to charity. If I had the kind of cash "celebs" did, I think I could come up with a few hundred thousand (peanuts to them) to buy food, water and shelter for the thousands of needy people out there (and not just those afflicted by the hurricane, but the many people who, through no fault of their own, are needy each and every day).

I would say that at least 25% of my band's gigs this year we played for free - to help raise money for various causes. If feels good to do for others and even better when you can have fun doing it!

"Personally, I feel for EVERYONE down there who is going through this tragedy - stars and "ordinary" people alike. "

:( What a tradegy this has become. I absolutely send all my prayers and hopes to all the people affected by this.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

My boss gave me an email to read that he received from his brother who is a FEMA worker that was stationed in Florida. FEMA moved them to Gulfport before the storm in anticipation of what might happen. He states in the letter that they thought they were going to die during the storm, and are now afraid for their lives if they venture into the city. These are people who are trained to assess damage and write checks, not rescue people and deal with armed gangs. It was unsettling to read his letter. A grown man who is clearly shook and afraid.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

It is UNBELIEVABLE that people can take advantage of such a situation and try to loot and gouge. And why the f&@k would people shoot at military helicopters trying to provide help?? I am dumbfounded as to how despicable humans can sometimes be. People lose everything and then you are going to try to steal moneye from them, steal food from them, etc.

Fortunately, when people come together to assist, there is hope.

I guess we've gone a little off topic here...sorry.

Kevank: You absolutely did NOT offend me. Your post was totally appropriate and, you are right, relevant to this forum!

My rant was not aimed at you and I apologize if it came off that way. I was yelling at the news media. That has been a sore point with me for years. To them, life is almost valueless unless your a celeb.

I understood it as a rant and not aimed at me, I just wanted to be clear why I thought it was important.

It is UNBELIEVABLE that people can take advantage of such a situation and try to loot and gouge.

I agree. I was glad to see a policeman saying yesterday that he wasn't concerned with those looting food and water - can you blame them for grabbing the basic necessities of survival, but tv's and stuff like that - come on!

Many of us know some of these people personally, so they are one step removed from family for us.

A little info I have found:

Jon Cleary - is ok. David Torkanowski was touring with him - do not know if he still is.

Henry Butler - is safe and staying with friends

Quote by Garrafon:

----------------------------------------------

I remember the constant news coverage when JFK Jr's plane went down. There are light aircraft accidents all the time, but the lives of thosee others go unnoticed. That is a sad state of affairs.

----------------------------------------------

The Kennedy family has suffered so many tragedies,I can understand the amount of coverage his death, the death of his wife and sister received. Joe Jr. died in WWII, JFK, Bobby Kennedy, and John Jr. never lived past their forties. Many others in their family died long before "their time". Maybe the Kennedy family wasn't important to you, but it was to my generation. It goes to show all of us that you can have all the money you could ever need, and still not lead a long, normal life.

The stars get the attention, that's the way our society is. But ultimately, your life is just as important as anyone else.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Just saw on the news that Fats was found safe and sound. :thu:

Cheers,

SG

Great news.
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Archived