Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rookie

KeyboardPunk

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll find lots of threads on this topic here if you search a bit.

It's also easier for us to give you advice if you tell us a bit about what you want. Piano playing at home? Going to gig with it? Do you need other sounds? Organs, wurltizers, rhodes? Or maybe some synth? Do you plan to sequence? What kind of music are you into?

The more we know, the more we can help.

Welcome to the Keyboard Corner!

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

• 4 weeks later...
Well, first off me and my boyfriend(a drummer) are putting a band together. At first I was only going to sing but then I thought that maybe I should try the keyboard since I work wonders on a piano. Solo all the members are very good at what they do, it's putting us together that's going to need a little direction. That's where I come in. But anyway, our style is kind of rock and roll edge. I'm going to need alot of different effects and sounds to come out to match our originality and style. Not just a basic keyboard that's basically a hipper looking piano. Ya know?
Music.Love.Dance.

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

I'm psyched. :eek:

No Dave. That's "siked". :rolleyes:

I think you need a cold one. :)

I always need a cold one. I always tell my American friends, Heineken and Grolsch are local beers.

You're correct, it's siked.

Not just a basic keyboard that's basically a hipper looking piano.
I always think racing stripes on a keyboard are cool, excuse me ... kool. I thought about having racing stripes painted on a grand piano I once owned. I have always thought that the actual sound coming from a keyboard is secondary to its looks especially if the keyboard looks hip. Just call me old fashioned.

Sorry ... getting carried away.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

I always think racing stripes on a keyboard are cool, excuse me ... kool.

Wrong again....it's kewl.

Thank goodness I'm a 40-something with a 20-something's mind to know these things. (And also work with a lot of people 1/2 my age)

:D;)

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Originally posted by KeyboardPunk:

Well, first off me and my boyfriend(a drummer) are putting a band together. At first I was only going to sing but then I thought that maybe I should try the keyboard since I work wonders on a piano. Solo all the members are very good at what they do, it's putting us together that's going to need a little direction. That's where I come in. But anyway, our style is kind of rock and roll edge. I'm going to need alot of different effects and sounds to come out to match our originality and style. Not just a basic keyboard that's basically a hipper looking piano. Ya know?

What's your budget? It sounds like you want something you can be pianistic on, but that will also let you make some wild noises.

The answer will be very different, depending if you have $500, or $2000, or $5000 to work with...

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Originally posted by flyscots:

Now c'mon Dave H there was no need for that ;)

but yeah Grolsch is great! :thu:

You're right. I should have bracketed my comments with [sarcasm] .... [/sarcasm]

:cool:

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Daf,

It sounds like you know what I want so I'll tell you. (since all everyone else wants to do is talk about teen slang). My budget is pretty much something under $200. I don't want to empty my pockets on a keyboard and have nothing for an amplifier. I'm also interested in any new music software that I can get creative with.

Music.Love.Dance.

Hi KP, thanks for the note.

The cool thing about most kinds of indie music, especially the stuff with punk influences, is that keyboards should NOT sound like "real" instruments - so there's a very cool vibe you can accomplish with some cheapo pawn shop classics. I'm particularly fond of the Yamaha DX line, which did a very nice job of emulating instruments without using samples. They rarely fool anyone, but they carry a lot of the same characteristics of the instruments, while still being clearly synthetic.

I bought a DX-11 for $125 at a pawn shop last year - it's great because the 11 is the later version of FM synthesis, 8-waveform/4-operator, instead of the older 1-waveform/6-op type (DX-7, etc.). Both the 7 and the 11 are useful, and there are tons of downloadable sounds for either, especially the 7.

As for computer based stuff, there's a lot of free soft synths out there: www.kvr-vst.com is a good source for starters.

Other good cheap synths include Korg X-2, the Yamaha SY-55, Roland D-10, and the Yamaha SY-22 or 35. Your best bet on these is to stay away from the close-but-not-quite instrument copies, and fly with the original not-found-in-nature voices instead.

Good luck,

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Archived