Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

the new Kawai stage piano- mp4

anybody played this thing? They've stopped selling the mp9500 in the US and Canada according to the website- maybe time to pick one up at a bargain?

This mp4 looks to be sound and functionwise nearly identical to the mp9000 and mp9500. But it doesn't have the wooden keyboard, weighs only a bit more than HALF as much, and is quite a bit smaller.

Which, if the action lives up to the mp9000 and mp9500, which is doubtful due to no wooden keys but one can still hope, is a hell of sweet stage piano, at least for vintage style sounds.

I gotta try one, but I'm hundreds of miles at least from the nearest mp4...

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two reviews here in UK.so far;In current Music Mart and Keyboard Player Mag(?)Both very favourable but the Ist a bit to effusive without realy comparing it to anything else current.

Why dont they do more shootouts even between only three different boards? It would be a lot more meaning full for folks such as your good selfe,(whose being affusive now then? :)

I are an *******(CENSORED) too.

I dunno, those are the best digital effects I've ever heard, some of the best effects period (at least my fave phase flange and rotary), and much bigger fatter and juicier keys sounds than any other board I've tried.

Nonetheless, the action is a big draw indeed. But the weight and size are a put-off for many.

I have talked to Kawai Tech Support and my Kawai dealer and have established the following:

The mp4 is basically a next-generation improvement on the ES3 keyboard but with the functionality of a mp9500. Although it has 64 sounds to the 16 on the mp9500. It is now available in the US exclusively at Sam Ash. There is also a successor to the mp9500 that will hit market in between this fall and next.

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by Tedly Nightshade:

The mp4 is basically a next-generation improvement on the ES3 keyboard but with the functionality of a mp9500. Although it has 64 sounds to the 16 on the mp9500. It is now available in the US exclusively at Sam Ash. There is also a successor to the mp9500 that will hit market in between this fall and next.

Small correction, the MP9500 has 64 sounds, the MP9000 had 16.

I think it would have been a good idea to put 9 sliders on the MP4, instead of only 4 so it could compete better with the cheap controller-keyboards.

I'm really interested in that MP9500 successor. It also means I have to be quick in selling my on-sale MP9500, before people notice there is a new one in the make; that will make the price drop of used MP9500's.

Originally posted by fisheye:

Originally posted by Tedly Nightshade:

[qb] Small correction, the MP9500 has 64 sounds, the MP9000 had 16.

Funny, I played the mp9500 and don't remember 64 sounds! maybe it was because the only ones I wanted were the same as on the mp9000.

I'm really interested in that MP9500 successor. It also means I have to be quick in selling my on-sale MP9500, before people notice there is a new one in the make; that will make the price drop of used MP9500's.

I wonder how the used prices are, on mp9500 and mp9000. I would pay just as much for a 9000 as a 9500, myself. I think they are equally valuable.

I did hear that Kawai sold out their entire run of mp9000 and of mp9500.

I notice there are no longer pseudo-balanced outputs before the master fader. That was the best-sounding way out of the board. I wonder if it's any cleaner though without those other outputs?

The size and weight are doing a pretty good job on me, but it turns out the thing is $1300 at Sam Ash, not so very much less than the mp9000 cost me at about $1800. And the followup to the mp9500 is rumored not to have wooden keys... so maybe it's light-weight too? But with burlier construction and controls? Whenever it comes out.

Archived